Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 12:07 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

Ack! For the past several nights, the wind and rain have been so severe here in San Jose, that I can't get a decent night's sleep.

I know we need the rain, but yeesh, I feel like I'm back in Seattle or Portland, both of which I was happy to flee.

My snow peas on my balcony have powdery mildew, my old injuries are killing me because of this damp cold, and my dog doesn't want to do her business quickly when I brave the elements to get her to do her business.

Yes, I know, it could be worse - we could be living in the Polar vortex in Chicago.

But, aren't you all tired of it, too? How are you coping? I think we all might need to start taking Vitamin D like I had to when I lived in the PNW.

Rain, rain go away, come again some other day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 12:20 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
I'm with you but for different reasons. I absolutely love hearing the rain at night time. I grew up in the midwest where we would get thunderstorms and it was just gorgeous.

However, the rain is killing a few of our construction sites right now and de-watering them has been absolutely brutal and expensive. I'm afraid to go to work tomorrow. LOL

Old 02-04-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I'm with you but for different reasons. I absolutely love hearing the rain at night time. I grew up in the midwest where we would get thunderstorms and it was just gorgeous.

However, the rain is killing a few of our construction sites right now and de-watering them has been absolutely brutal and expensive. I'm afraid to go to work tomorrow. LOL
OMG, I had to go to a Pick n Pull in San Jose the other day and the parking lots were just mud and pools of standing water. Just a mucky mess. Sorry for your work hassles!

Old 02-04-2019, 07:32 AM

10,350 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Californians love to brag about having the best weather. Really a few nights of rain are that upsetting? You should have kept going south to San Diego instead of San Jose for the milder weather.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:27 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Californians love to brag about having the best weather. Really a few nights of rain are that upsetting? You should have kept going south to San Diego instead of San Jose for the milder weather.
It's hardly been a few nights of rain. I've removed somewhere north of 100,000 gallons of water from a 1-acre site since mid November?

Old 02-04-2019, 03:48 PM

Yeah, turn on the news!

I'm extremely grateful that I'm not in the polar vortex or where this would be snow, like I've lived through. That doesn't mean I can't get sick of the rain. Yes, I'm spoiled and lucky. And yes, I want it always to be perfect.

It's still just pouring down! Walked my dog around the block and came back drenched, even though we were both dressed for it. I think I need to go buy some Vitamin D for both of us.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:56 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Ack! For the past several nights, the wind and rain have been so severe here in San Jose, that I can't get a decent night's sleep.

I know we need the rain, but yeesh, I feel like I'm back in Seattle or Portland, both of which I was happy to flee.

My snow peas on my balcony have powdery mildew, my old injuries are killing me because of this damp cold, and my dog doesn't want to do her business quickly when I brave the elements to get her to do her business.

Yes, I know, it could be worse - we could be living in the Polar vortex in Chicago.

But, aren't you all tired of it, too? How are you coping? I think we all might need to start taking Vitamin D like I had to when I lived in the PNW.

Rain, rain go away, come again some other day...
I think what it is is you don't like cold rain. I spent ten weeks during the summer around New Orleans, where the rain is very warm. You'll have a sunny, might afternoon in the mid to high 90s, and bam! It starts pouring, and everything cools off by fifteen, twenty degrees, with a good sea breeze on top of it. Simply refreshing. And perfect for sloshing around in shorts and flip-flops! Of course, you'll also have this very patchy rain where it'll be sunny in the background but raining at the same time

Have you ever been to somewhere with warm rain? Seems like you haven't, otherwise you'd know how awesome it is.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I think what it is is you don't like cold rain. I spent ten weeks during the summer around New Orleans, where the rain is very warm. You'll have a sunny, might afternoon in the mid to high 90s, and bam! It starts pouring, and everything cools off by fifteen, twenty degrees, with a good sea breeze on top of it. Simply refreshing. And perfect for sloshing around in shorts and flip-flops! Of course, you'll also have this very patchy rain where it'll be sunny in the background but raining at the same time

Have you ever been to somewhere with warm rain? Seems like you haven't, otherwise you'd know how awesome it is.
You're going to think I'm the ultimate precipitation wimp, but yes, I used to live in TN, and in Mexico, been to New Orleans - all those showers do for you after the initial cool-down, is make the air an ungodly steam bath! So, no, I don't like that, either.

I love the occasional rainy day or two. Love to smell the clean air, see the plants perk up, curl up with a good book and some hot coffee - but relentless rain - yikes! This is worse than even living in Portland or Seattle (where I've lived) or even Crescent City (where I moved from a few years ago). It's just constant pouring down rain and gloomy skies.

The sun has poked through here and there, but I haven't been able to even find a rainbow lol. This is demon rain.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:01 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yeah, turn on the news!

I'm extremely grateful that I'm not in the polar vortex or where this would be snow, like I've lived through. That doesn't mean I can't get sick of the rain. Yes, I'm spoiled and lucky. And yes, I want it always to be perfect.

It's still just pouring down! Walked my dog around the block and came back drenched, even though we were both dressed for it. I think I need to go buy some Vitamin D for both of us.
Do you have rainboots? I love rocking my knee-length pull on rainboots and splashing around in puddles on the way to class. Rainboots have helped me enjoy the rain. Only time guys can get away with wearing boots without looking girly.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:40 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,301 times
San Jose needs a whole lot more rain!!!! Drought is still not over. Keep it on coming with tons of rain in the spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose