Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:06 AM

9 posts, read 74,518 times

Advertisements

so San jose seems near perfect on paper. Great weather. Safe. Large and diverse population. Strong economy. Educated population. Close to many wonderful weekend trips (tahoe, San Fran, wine country, etc).

So what is wrong with is place???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 11:31 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,667 times
THE PRICE! Traffic.

San Jose is the perfect place. We loved living there for two years. Everything you listed makes the place great. For the average family to live there, you have to rent with no chance of buying.

House prices are dropping I noticed. But it's still very expensive.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:32 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,403 times
Luke9686 pretty much summarized my view as well.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:23 PM

323 posts, read 1,425,946 times
compare SJ with SF or SD, SJ comes a distant third imo

Prices, no beaches like SD, no charm like SF

Old 04-13-2008, 12:26 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
I live in Santa Cruz, but I know of people from here who now live in San Jose and prefer it there.

I have not lived in San Jose, and I do enjoy San Francisco and San Diego. I am going over to San Jose on Friday (18th) to meet with some people at the university (SJSU), and browse around downtown. The more time I spend there, the more I like it. They have really been fixing up the downtown, and it seems more attractive.

The weather is good, it's safe, it's clean, near many other things, and I guess with such a large population, someone likes it! I'm discovering that it's kind of a quiet jewel of a city, and maybe it's better that way, so that the quality of life can remain high.

There are jobs there, and the economy is better than many cities. Being Silicon Valley, it is unique.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:04 PM

145 posts, read 508,960 times
theres nothing "wrong" with our city of SJ...it's just unlike many cities our size, the people here dont focus things such as "how urban" the place is. No one here is trying to compete with anyone else, we just do our own thing. A city of almost a million, but we dont act pretentious, or play up the pop. figure. We just go about our lives, we don't stop and say, "SJ has great weather" blah blah blah like L.A tends to do or "we are sooo diverse" like nyc. People here pay no mind to what race you are really, we all get along and dont think/focus on it. At the same time, no one really complains about lack of excellent public transport(good or bad...i think we are doing decent with VTA).

I love it here, you just have to be here to know how we function. Driving on the freeway(101) , you dont really get a feel for the city. You cant see any real "skyscrapers", so I guess thats why alot of people tend to think we are some suburb?

We are more or less an hour to everywhere, the beach, the city, the wilderness. 1 1/2 by plane to anywhere in southern california. Very safe city, clean, new developments left and right.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:23 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
SJ largely lacks pretentious folk, thus it has no hype to be bought. Some people let image speak louder than fact. You just listed what this place does right, and yet you ask what's wrong. That doesn't make any sense.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:12 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
San Jose is too hot and inland for my taste, but that's just a personal preference... I also prefer either a CITY or a suburb, though, and have always felt that San Jose was caught somewhere in the middle. Aside from that, I guess there's nothing "wrong" with it! SJ is a fine place to live, with some very nice & "affordable" (by our standards) neighborhoods. I'm an alum of SJSU's graduate school, so obviously I didn't think it was all that bad.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:15 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Well, the public transit system is so slow it can take 2 hours plus to get from one corner of San Jose to the other. That's a downside, and a side effect of how sprawling it is. From the western extreme at 85 & De Anza to the eastern extreme at Santa Teresa & Bernal is something like 18 miles.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:04 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Well, the public transit system is so slow it can take 2 hours plus to get from one corner of San Jose to the other. That's a downside, and a side effect of how sprawling it is. From the western extreme at 85 & De Anza to the eastern extreme at Santa Teresa & Bernal is something like 18 miles.
That's southern, and not the extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose