Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2019, 09:03 PM

38 posts, read 60,347 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite 'season' here?

Also, can anyone tell me when does it start to cool off in San Jose? I love to run outdoors but if I don't beat the sun at 10 am, its BURNING me.

Its my first year here, we came in October 2018 and soon after it got incredibly cold and rainy, the locals told us it never was this cold before.I am just trying to get a feel of when it's the best running season here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 11:57 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlikestoplay View Post
Also, can anyone tell me when does it start to cool off in San Jose?
I had to use heating in my house in early morning hours the whole summer this year.

"Tell me about the weather "
cold weather.
Specifically it is cold from 6PM until 11AM, then hot, then cold again.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:25 AM

38 posts, read 60,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
I had to use heating in my house in early morning hours the whole summer this year.

"Tell me about the weather "
cold weather.
Specifically it is cold from 6PM until 11AM, then hot, then cold again.

Heating?! wow. Yes, it is very cold in the morning which is when I prefer to run. Its perfect really. The heat is something real tho. Stings!

I am originally from Michigan, we are all about cold. I can't wait for it to not be the 80's anymore.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:02 AM

353 posts, read 437,596 times
What is your preferred running temperature? Can you tolerate 60's or does it have to be cooler?

Running in the morning when it is cloudy and cool in the A.M. or at night after 6pm from about April to October is best.

In the summer, you can have a few days that are clear and sunny in the morning, and that is when running at night is preferable because you can always count on the temperature dropping (there is never a night over 65 in CA).

After October 26th or so, it tends to cool down quite a bit and by late November until March, you can pretty much run anytime depending on your cold tolerance (some mornings/nights will be in the '30s).

Normal California seasons are: from December to March coldish to cool and rain, rain, rain. Mid-March to May, warmer, cloudy mornings little rain and June to October no clouds, clear, very warm to hot.

However, in the past 6years or so, the weather has been all ****ed up. So it's hard to tell what's coming..

Old 08-02-2019, 10:55 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlikestoplay View Post
What is your favorite 'season' here?

Also, can anyone tell me when does it start to cool off in San Jose? I love to run outdoors but if I don't beat the sun at 10 am, its BURNING me.

Its my first year here, we came in October 2018 and soon after it got incredibly cold and rainy, the locals told us it never was this cold before.I am just trying to get a feel of when it's the best running season here.
It's a gradual cool down. July and August are usually the same weather wise. The temperature's almost the same. Statistics-wise, July is hotter, on average, but by something like a few tenths of a degree. Sometimes August is hotter than July. September is a notch cooler than July and August, on average. But believe it or not, September actually has more 90F days, on average, than July & August. You really don't notice the weather cooling off much until the last half of September or early October. October is usually my favorite month. Still sunny, only a few rainy days (if any), and temps typically in the low to mid 70s. There can still be heat waves in October, though. However, usually hot days in the Fall cool off more at night than they typically do in Summer.

By November, the weather gets increasingly iffy and cooler. More cloudy days, some rainy days (varies a lot by year). The first half of November is typically still pretty nice, temps in the mid 60s to low 70s. The last week or two of November is when we can get a cold snap where the high only reaches the upper 50s. Obviously, this doesn't happen every year, but there have been a lot of years where the cool snap hits right after Thanksgiving.

December is sometimes colder than January. And like July/August, statistically speaking, there's almost no difference between the two months as far as temperatures go. Sometimes our worst cold snaps actually hit at the end of December. January is generally rainier than December (but varies a lot year to year).

February is noticeably warmer than December/January most years (although Feb. was cold this year) with temps averaging in the low 60s.

Spring is just a gradual warm up. March is still a pretty rainy month (almost as rainy as Jan/Feb) but is a little warmer, with highs typically in the low to mid 60s.

April can vary between heat waves and cool and rainy spells with temps in the high 60s to low 70s.

By May we might see one cool or rainy spell where the high is only in the high 50s or low 60s. But generally it's a nice month with highs in the low to mid 70s. But we do get both heat waves and cool spells in May.

June is warm and is the first month that really feels like Summer. Highs in the high 70s. Sometimes we get more heat waves in June than we do in July/August.

It feels like Summer here from the beginning of June to mid October (at least IMO).

Old 08-02-2019, 11:09 AM

240 posts, read 478,322 times
In past summers I had to run at 10pm or later at times. This year 8pm / sunset is always perfect temperature. So from my perspective this year's summer is cooler and it's about as perfect as can be.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:31 PM

222 posts, read 382,721 times
This is going to sound flippant, but it's the truth - if you like cooler weather and you're not fully settled, move up the peninsula - once you get to 92 and north, the microclimates are amazing. It will frequently be 10 or more degrees cooler than San Jose all summer.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:41 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
July through October are hot, November through February are cool and rainy, March through June are warm. If you don't want hot / warm weather, you need to be on the west/ocean side of the hills - half moon Bay, santa Cruz, San Francisco, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose