Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 07:43 PM

10 posts, read 14,255 times

Advertisements

I am currently in a situation where I would like to move out in the next 6 months and get my own place. I currently have approx. $25k saved up, but can easily save another $5-10k in the next 6 months.

Anyway, I am torn between renting an apartment and buying a mobile home (as a first-time home buyer) in the area since that is all I can afford. BUT I've been impressed looking at some of the mobile homes in the area; they definitely are nice and spacious on the inside! Factoring in the lot rent (which I've seen anything from $800 - $1600/month), I feel it aligns pretty closely to what I would pay for rent for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment in the area. Plus I would not have to share a floor or wall with anyone.

As someone that is looking to stay in the area for the next 10 years at least, would you consider buying a mobile home? What are the pros/cons here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 11:50 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I wouldn't touch a mobile. No investment value.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:17 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Mobile home parks are also vulnerable to redevelopment - due to the rising cost of land in the area. There have been fights over closures and evictions over the years.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:53 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
I'd be more likely to buy a 5th wheel and utilize one of the rental spots in Morgan Hill. You're looking at $1100ish per month for the spot and probably $600-800/mo if you finance a brand new 5th wheel. For a couple hundred bucks, you can pay someone to move your 5th wheel into place if you don't have a truck. The commute would turn me off to it and is why I decided against it personally.

Nice thing is if you decide to move, you can just haul it away with you and go for greener, cheaper pastures. That same spot in Arizona will be $350-$400/mo and your 5th wheel could be paid off.

Just an alternative idea.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:51 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I'd be more likely to buy a 5th wheel and utilize one of the rental spots in Morgan Hill. You're looking at $1100ish per month for the spot and probably $600-800/mo if you finance a brand new 5th wheel. For a couple hundred bucks, you can pay someone to move your 5th wheel into place if you don't have a truck. The commute would turn me off to it and is why I decided against it personally.

Nice thing is if you decide to move, you can just haul it away with you and go for greener, cheaper pastures. That same spot in Arizona will be $350-$400/mo and your 5th wheel could be paid off.

Just an alternative idea.
Excellent idea! Buying a mobile home is risky, if the mobile home park goes out of business you're screwed, there probably aren't any empty spaces in mobile home parks for a few hundred miles. And if the OP eventually buys a home with a decent sized lot they might be able to put the 5th wheel in the yard and rent it out.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:36 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,924,999 times
due to the lot rent they are very hard to sell. i had a 1963 mobile in san jose back in the 90's. lot rent was only $400ish but other people had triple the rent. they couldn't sell. the realtors were a shady lot and the neighbors were awful! i had the kid next door breaking in and stealing from me which went on for months, long story short.

a lot of the parks are on iffy terrain. typically east of 101 which is also the sketchier part. one year we flooded (lots of them flood in palo alto) and it had something to do with sandbagging at the creek that hadn't been done. all i know is that we were the low rent district and so nobody really cared.

the managers of the park changed over about four times in the eight years i was there. constantly getting notices in the mailbox (all of us got them) about rules broken and blah blah blah. they wouldn't target the actual rule breakers, they would just harp at all of us. it got old. offenses like parking in the wrong place and kids peeing in the pool. yikes. i never ever used the pool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose