Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 11:06 PM

264 posts, read 829,391 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are keeping an eye out for property in the Los Gatos Mountains and/or just west of Morgan Hill or Gilroy (outskirts).

For Los Gatos Mountain or Morgan Hill hill dwellers, how is the soil for growing veggies/fruits? Are there specific areas in the mountains or hills (specific streets) where you would not recommend buying property?

Any advice from those living in the Los Gatos Mountains or Morgan Hill hills or know people who do live there would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 11:33 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,055,970 times
I grew up in the MH hills on the opposite side of the valley, over by Henry Coe Park, and my piano teacher lived over on the side you're considering on Uvas Dam Road. The weather is very favorable for growing crops.. fruits particularly, which come out plump and juicy. The main concern in that area is access to services - look into where the fire stations are and which one will report to an emergency, as well as where the nearest hydrant is.. where the hospital is (close to Cochrane & 101, FYI).. police isn't much of a concern. But cell reception can be. I get no reception at my parents' house, and only Verizon works.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:57 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,626,925 times
Hi,
We just moved to NJ (my home state) and we used to have numerous fruit trees in our backyard in Morgan Hill. The first year was lovely but then years 2, 3 and 4, frost got to our trees. Make sure you have cover because I find that the winters are getting colder there.

Good luck! I liked Morgan Hill a lot.

Shanny

Old 05-02-2008, 08:11 PM

365 posts, read 1,414,804 times
Morgan Hill definitely can grow crops. Its more than the manure and mushrooms by the 101. Homes are beautiful up there, and cheaper than Los Gatos. If you ever need a realtor referral, I have one that deals with that area and has been for years. Just trying to help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose