Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 02:58 PM

926 posts, read 973,152 times

Advertisements

I just received from my apartment management that att fiber internet at 1000M/s available, offers shows 39.99$ significantly lower than my current comcast. But I would still be hesitant to switching wary of what i am getting into? Is it reliable? Problematic? Hidden fees? All sorts of traps. Any intel is appreciated.
THanks.,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 03:44 PM

4,560 posts, read 6,265,123 times
Fiber is absolutely the best way to access the internet, cable comes a distant second. Once you have the fiber, cut the cable and get all your TV content with a streaming device like FireTV, Roku, etc, via the internet.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:16 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,028,574 times
Read the fine print. How long is the rate guaranteed for? Do you have to stay a subscriber after the "special" rate disappears? Do you have to "rent" their access point ("modem") and/or WiFi box, or can you buy your own and use it? Do you have to pay for the install? Etc.

It is a good point that if you can get 1Gbit (heck, 100 Mbit) throughput consistently, you can dump your cable TV subscription and sign up for streaming TV over the internet. You can get HD quality streaming at that bit rate. I think that Youtube TV is around $50/mo for a bunch (?70?) of mainstream cable channels and it includes "network" TV (abc, cbs, ...) as well as some sports channels, and it includes a "DVR" (record and play later) functionality built-in.

Now if you are addicted to "the fishing network" or "cupcakes at home" network, you won't be satisfied ... If you have a TV you bought in the past 3-5 years, there is a good chance that you can load (or it already has) the youtube TV app (and hulu, and roku, and ...)

Old 04-28-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Read the fine print. How long is the rate guaranteed for? Do you have to stay a subscriber after the "special" rate disappears? Do you have to "rent" their access point ("modem") and/or WiFi box, or can you buy your own and use it? Do you have to pay for the install? Etc.

It is a good point that if you can get 1Gbit (heck, 100 Mbit) throughput consistently, you can dump your cable TV subscription and sign up for streaming TV over the internet. You can get HD quality streaming at that bit rate. I think that Youtube TV is around $50/mo for a bunch (?70?) of mainstream cable channels and it includes "network" TV (abc, cbs, ...) as well as some sports channels, and it includes a "DVR" (record and play later) functionality built-in.

Now if you are addicted to "the fishing network" or "cupcakes at home" network, you won't be satisfied ... If you have a TV you bought in the past 3-5 years, there is a good chance that you can load (or it already has) the youtube TV app (and hulu, and roku, and ...)
yes that is what i am worried about, they always bait and switch, flip around, fine print, overcharge and it is hard to battle with them so due diligence is necessary before making any transition.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:11 PM

i am fucging sick and tired of this comcast crappy service, daily disconnect now can not configure the router, they moved everything online about router configuration where supposed online configuration has become full of crap. if someone gets ATT super speed, please let me know if your experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: