Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2007, 12:32 PM

5 posts, read 36,882 times

Advertisements

My family is from LA and Orange County and the air here is horrible, as you all know very well. My 2 year old daughter has asthma. Not to mention, LA is overrated, overpriced, segregated, has failing schools, and the city is rather vulgar (perpetual grayish-brown skies, trashy streets, homelessness, tweekers, GANG VIOLENCE, prostitution, and **** artists galore).

We want to make a change before my seven year old son (2nd grade) starts middle school (6th grade) in 2010. The middle school options are scary and adolescents from all parts of the city are preyed upon by...you name it! I love California, but I am so sick of LA.

I did a search on clean air in the nation and in the state. Of course Southern California, and most of California for that matter, is so horribly polluted compared to anywhere else. But I did find that Monterey, Mendocino, Lake and Santa Cruz counties have great air quality.

What can anyone tell me about the cities of Monterey Bay? We require a family lifestyle, cultural and intellectual resources, and a significant Multi Ethnic presence (more than White and Latino, but African American, Native American, Asian, Filipino, Any Other Immigrants.)

How are Marina,CA and Seaside, CA? What about the Cal State at Mont. Bay and UC Santa Cruz?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 01:05 PM

989 posts, read 5,924,355 times
Yes, I am also curious about this area. How are gangs, graffiti presence? Is this area family-friendly? What is the pace of life like? What are the residents like? .. (I don't want to be around rude people.) I don't mind materialism, or millionaires(I am used to it here in SoCal).

What is the quality of life like in Carmel, Del Monte Forest, Pacific Grove, and Monterey? ..If anyone could touch on their experiences in this area it would be much appreciated.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:01 PM

29 posts, read 195,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Yes, I am also curious about this area. How are gangs, graffiti presence? Is this area family-friendly? What is the pace of life like? What are the residents like? .. (I don't want to be around rude people.) I don't mind materialism, or millionaires(I am used to it here in SoCal).

What is the quality of life like in Carmel, Del Monte Forest, Pacific Grove, and Monterey? ..If anyone could touch on their experiences in this area it would be much appreciated.
I lived in Monterey for 17 years and just moved to the San Francisco Bay Area in April 2006. I lived in Pacific Grove for 11 years and in San Benancio for 6 years. So, here you go: Monterey Bay in general is a gorgeous area with infinite recreational offerings; it is a very sheltered area as Monterey is made up of several communities with the same population of about 30,000 each. These communities, in order of least desireable to most desireable are Marina, Seaside, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel, Pebble Beach, Carmel Valley and finally San Benancio. Marina and Seaside have the most affordable rents (if you call $1000/mo for a one bedroom apt. affordable) but also have the most crime, gangs, violence, and general ugliness. Yes, even in paradise you will find some hell. Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel and Pebble Beach are very foggy in the summer and usually chilly. They are all beautiful communities - Pacific Grove (referred to as "PG") was my favorite - quaint, residential, America's last hometown. Houses are extremely close together, forget privacy in PG - I could hear my neighbor taking a shower. The foggiest city on the peninsula as well. Monterey is very historic with a lot of old Adobe style buildings and a little more affordable than PG, Carmel or Pebble. Carmel is very snobbish, has more art gallerys than any city on the planet for its size - one interesting fact about Carmel - there are no street address as it is not allowed to deliver mail house to house - everyone must use a PO Box and go to the post office to get your mail. Carmel is outrageously expensive, lots and houses are small. Pebble Beach is a gated community, if you are not a resident you have to pay $8 to just drive through Pebble Beach. If you want country, then Carmel Valley and San Benancio Canyon are absolutely beautiful. Much warmer in those place too and no fog - you're just farther from the ocean, which for me was perfect because the water is too cold to swim in (65 degrees the warmest the water will get in the middle of August) and the air is very chilly and damp. Monterey Bay is very expensive to live - moving to the SF Bay Area saved me $400/month. There are no executive, high paying jobs on the peninsula, the industry here is service and tourism. Oh yeah, you have to love tourists, because they are like a second population you will be dealing with on a very regular basis - this is why it is so expensive to live in Monterey - the area is comprised of independent restaurants and business that gouge the tourist and because I have to shop and eat at these same establishments they do a good job of overcharging the locals. I was a restaurant manager for 3 of the most popular eateries on the peninsula and our prices were in the stratoshphere. Tourism dictates prices everywhere and the locals end up paying through the nose. In Monterey, you are one hour from the most beautiful coastline in the world -Big Sur, and 2 hours from one of the coolest cities in the world - San Francisco. Monterey Bay has god-awful beauty coupled with extremely expensive Real Estate with the middle class supporting the extremely poor (which is one of the conundrums of Monterey - how can such an expensive place to live be harbor to so many poor) and the extremely rich. Life out of balance, but that is prevalent all over California. If you can afford to live in a desireable area, Monterey Bay is a great place to call home. However, if you are looking for a big social scene, bars, nightlife, culture (not art galleries), Monterey is greatly lacking. That was an attraction for me. A couple other things; Monterey has a huge military presence even though Fort Ord is closed, population makeup: 60% Hispanic, 35% caucasion, 5% Asian. I did a lot of rambling here and if you want specifics let me know.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:52 PM

19 posts, read 88,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damfinejoe View Post
I lived in Monterey for 17 years and just moved to the San Francisco Bay Area in April 2006. I lived in Pacific Grove for 11 years and in San Benancio for 6 years. So, here you go: Monterey Bay in general is a gorgeous area with infinite recreational offerings; it is a very sheltered area as Monterey is made up of several communities with the same population of about 30,000 each. These communities, in order of least desireable to most desireable are Marina, Seaside, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel, Pebble Beach, Carmel Valley and finally San Benancio. Marina and Seaside have the most affordable rents (if you call $1000/mo for a one bedroom apt. affordable) but also have the most crime, gangs, violence, and general ugliness. Yes, even in paradise you will find some hell. Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel and Pebble Beach are very foggy in the summer and usually chilly. They are all beautiful communities - Pacific Grove (referred to as "PG") was my favorite - quaint, residential, America's last hometown. Houses are extremely close together, forget privacy in PG - I could hear my neighbor taking a shower. The foggiest city on the peninsula as well. Monterey is very historic with a lot of old Adobe style buildings and a little more affordable than PG, Carmel or Pebble. Carmel is very snobbish, has more art gallerys than any city on the planet for its size - one interesting fact about Carmel - there are no street address as it is not allowed to deliver mail house to house - everyone must use a PO Box and go to the post office to get your mail. Carmel is outrageously expensive, lots and houses are small. Pebble Beach is a gated community, if you are not a resident you have to pay $8 to just drive through Pebble Beach. If you want country, then Carmel Valley and San Benancio Canyon are absolutely beautiful. Much warmer in those place too and no fog - you're just farther from the ocean, which for me was perfect because the water is too cold to swim in (65 degrees the warmest the water will get in the middle of August) and the air is very chilly and damp. Monterey Bay is very expensive to live - moving to the SF Bay Area saved me $400/month. There are no executive, high paying jobs on the peninsula, the industry here is service and tourism. Oh yeah, you have to love tourists, because they are like a second population you will be dealing with on a very regular basis - this is why it is so expensive to live in Monterey - the area is comprised of independent restaurants and business that gouge the tourist and because I have to shop and eat at these same establishments they do a good job of overcharging the locals. I was a restaurant manager for 3 of the most popular eateries on the peninsula and our prices were in the stratoshphere. Tourism dictates prices everywhere and the locals end up paying through the nose. In Monterey, you are one hour from the most beautiful coastline in the world -Big Sur, and 2 hours from one of the coolest cities in the world - San Francisco. Monterey Bay has god-awful beauty coupled with extremely expensive Real Estate with the middle class supporting the extremely poor (which is one of the conundrums of Monterey - how can such an expensive place to live be harbor to so many poor) and the extremely rich. Life out of balance, but that is prevalent all over California. If you can afford to live in a desireable area, Monterey Bay is a great place to call home. However, if you are looking for a big social scene, bars, nightlife, culture (not art galleries), Monterey is greatly lacking. That was an attraction for me. A couple other things; Monterey has a huge military presence even though Fort Ord is closed, population makeup: 60% Hispanic, 35% caucasion, 5% Asian. I did a lot of rambling here and if you want specifics let me know.

Damfinejoe. Do you know if any gangs ever come into Monterey from places like Salinas or Marina?

Old 01-10-2007, 11:29 AM

51 posts, read 260,723 times
Hee! I lived in San Benancio school district for 17 years, and think it's funny that damnfinejoe rated that area tops above Carmel Valley. I won't argue, it's a great neighborhood, but I never thought it had the same cachet.

Anyway, Reaganomics, yes, Salinas does have some gang problems. I think you're going to find that in any city above a certain size. Salinas' problems aren't all that bad, though, certainly not compared to LA. It's not something you'd have to worry about unless you deliberately went to a bad part of town.

Marina and Seaside are pretty diverse; that's one thing I really miss about the Monterey Bay Area now that I live elsewhere. There are sizable Chinese, Korean, and Filipino populations as well as Hispanic and African-American. Plus, you've got the Defense Language Institute with people from all over the world.

I love the Monterey Bay Area. My parents still live there, and the only reason we don't live there is because housing costs are astronomical and we just can't afford it. Though if you're moving from L.A. it might not be as bad for you.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 17,393 times
Default I know it's not relevant, but one of places i found re: Monterey Bay

Not sure where to post, but here goes....

Does anyone want to purchase a Monterey Bay Aquarium Membership? I won the membership at a corporate event, however, I live in Canada so it is not worth it for me to keep. The membership is a year membership valued at $450 according to Aquarium customer service. I have all required documents that can just be filled out and submitted at the membership desk.

I would like around $300 for it, but make me an offer as it is no use for me to keep. I can be reached at mytravels@shaw.ca if you are interested.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 16,844 times
Default relocating to Monterey from Sydney, Australia

Hi there,

thanks for all the information in this post, particularly epic by damnfinejoe. We will be moving into the area for 1-2yrs, as my partner has some work at NPS, and I'm trying to figure out where we will live. We have a 2 yr old, are used to urban living, but that might be a bit different in Sydney. We like to walk/bike most places, want to live in an area with older houses, good playgroups and coffee shops. We love the beach, libraries, and being part of a community. Shopping at wholefood markets etc... I guess we are liberal in terms of political leanings - I hope that is not a big negative in this part of the world. So, is there any where in the Monterey Bay area people would recommend we'd fit in? We know about the rents - not too concerned as work paying

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Bonnie

Old 06-11-2008, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 16,658 times
my husband and i are relocating from modesto,calif to either santa cruz/capitola area or monterey/pacific grove area .. we are selling our house and moving .. it`s just us and two dogs no children .. one small dog & a small boxer .. we are having a hard time finding a place that takes dogs .. we've looked on craigslist .. there are some, however not alot of choices ..also if you can tell me the good/bad of both locations .. we are looking for a least a two bedroom .. thank you

Old 06-15-2008, 03:40 PM

199 posts, read 591,668 times
I'm not sure if you are going to find the small town oasis it seems you are seeking in Monterey County. Even though most towns do have a listed population around 30,000, those figures are not accurate. If you factor in the very high undocumented population, the actual population is much higher. I have noticed that even though census figures of population have remained stable, traffic congestion has increased exponentially. The air quality should be better than inland southern california but only because we're on the coast, not because there are fewer cars per capita.

Monterey's public school system is in VERY poor shape, and has been for over a decade now, with no signs of improvement. If you are able to enroll in the PG or Carmel school district, or San Benancio, they are in better shape.

As far as segregation, it is very noticeable and has always been so. Carmel and PG are wasp enclaves. Monterey used to be an Italian/white ethnic enclave, but is less so, with an increasing Hispanic population.

The gang problem is on the rise, especially in Salinas, but also in Marina and Seaside.

The cost of housing is astronomical, compared to anywhere else in the country.

Finally, there is one issue which is rarely mentioned but probably should be mentioned first and foremost. There is a very high level of hostile, rude behavior in the Monterey Peninsula. I could write a book about how uncivil and ill-mannered many Peninsulans are, and my stay here has not been prolonged.

Do NOT for example, expect:
1. cars to let pedestrians cross the road, even at designated crosswalks.
2. DO EXPECT a very high level of road rage: speeding, honking, yelling and general uncivility.
3. generally rancorous behavior: snide comments, sarcasm, no one holding doors open for you, rude service at local establishments, etc. etc. etc.

Trust me, it would take me many hours to document the ill will towards not only tourists but also locals.

I honestly believe that the long history of testosterone filled itinerant military male populations which turn over constantly, has led to a climate of hostility and unaccountability. The social ugliness combined with the ridiculous cost of living completely undermine quality of life in Monterey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmemore View Post
My family is from LA and Orange County and the air here is horrible, as you all know very well. My 2 year old daughter has asthma. Not to mention, LA is overrated, overpriced, segregated, has failing schools, and the city is rather vulgar (perpetual grayish-brown skies, trashy streets, homelessness, tweekers, GANG VIOLENCE, prostitution, and **** artists galore).

We want to make a change before my seven year old son (2nd grade) starts middle school (6th grade) in 2010. The middle school options are scary and adolescents from all parts of the city are preyed upon by...you name it! I love California, but I am so sick of LA.

I did a search on clean air in the nation and in the state. Of course Southern California, and most of California for that matter, is so horribly polluted compared to anywhere else. But I did find that Monterey, Mendocino, Lake and Santa Cruz counties have great air quality.

What can anyone tell me about the cities of Monterey Bay? We require a family lifestyle, cultural and intellectual resources, and a significant Multi Ethnic presence (more than White and Latino, but African American, Native American, Asian, Filipino, Any Other Immigrants.)

How are Marina,CA and Seaside, CA? What about the Cal State at Mont. Bay and UC Santa Cruz?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:14 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,654 times
Post And still another view

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmemore View Post
........I did a search on clean air in the nation and in the state. Of course Southern California, and most of California for that matter, is so horribly polluted compared to anywhere else. But I did find that Monterey, Mendocino, Lake and Santa Cruz counties have great air quality.

What can anyone tell me about the cities of Monterey Bay? ........
You've received lot's of interesting replies reflecting diverse opinions. Let me add mine. I've lived in the area for 16 years and spent lots of time in all of the communities mentioned. I managed various state offices in both Santa Cruz and Monterey counties for 10 of those years, so dealt with lots of the public from all the communities you've mentioned.

None of them are any ruder than folk that live in - say - Santa Monica.

The air quality here is super. Particularly if you like room temperature all year long. Most of the locals complain when it gets above 80 or below 60. They are just spoiled, so forgive them.

There are thousands of volunteer opportunities in these communities. A great way for parents to train kids on how to get along with, and serve others - and just stop thinking me, me, me all of the time, is to have them volunteer at public events - and see mom and dad do the same. It is also a great way to meet folk if you're new in town.

UC Santa Cruz is weird but probably harmless, unless your kids can't handle the drug scene. CSUMB has been captured by the "diversivists", which is annoying, but they, too, are pretty harmless. [Instead of becoming a melting pot they prefer to Balkanize everything - in my view].

Lower grade schools vary from school to school - even within school districts. Look around for what you seek. And there are some great private schools [prep schools, etc] within the area.

The area is extremely racially diverse due largely to the former Fort Ord and the continued presence of the Defense Language Institute at the Presidio in Monterey. You need to google it for better information, but there are a huge number of teachers there who are native linguists from all over the world and have lived in the communities for years, raising their families.

The youth gangs in the area spend time in all of the communities, just like Southern California. If you don't buy drugs you probably won't run into them. The crime they commit is almost always against a rival gang.

All of the communities have "red neck" neighborhoods. Sorry, there are simply too many of them around to not admit it. Just perform due diligence when you shop for your new neighborhood and it shouldn't be a problem.

The rich and powerful here are a shade nicer than the rich and powerful in Newport Beach - usually. And yes, some of them do their own local shopping at Trader Joes, etc.

In the more remote areas of both counties marijuana growers plant shrubs on public lands - but that happens in Orange County, too.

There is not too much night life in Monterey, but there is some. As for the slightly larger amount in Santa Cruz, it seems a little more trendy or bizarre. In my view,

The pace of life here is different, and I think better. But I think one get's out of a community what one put's into it.

Good luck on your quest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose