Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2022, 10:26 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times

Advertisements

I don't know if people still remember when city of San Jose spontanously go on "lockdown" during the first week of may especially first weekend of May when there is May Day protests, Sharks game, and Cinco De Mayo(Victory of Puebla Mexico) celebrations all mashed together during one weekend. Drawing revelers from all over the state and likely the west as well.

Anyone living east of SAP center/formerly HP Pavillion Or 87 or tried to get through San Jose east of there including on 87, 680,280, or 101 or San Jose airport on first week of May have to be prepared to miss their flight or whatever they are going without warning(completely random). And its not just the participants causing the problem but the city's police as well as CHPs joint crowd mitigation methods which they are very tight lipped on to "quarantine" traffic and crowds to different parts of the city when things get "too rowdy," these are not planned nor they are not released to the public where or when it may occur. They do try to reroute VTA buses a head of time to avoid it but still expect delays. Those who are caught in it just trying to get home or to the airport or elsewhere were screwed, police often would often not allow them to turn unto another street to escape the traffic or get home, despite saying that those with local resident IDs may be allowed to exit the "quarantined" streets. Residents are essentially trapped with bunch of intoxicated rowdy revelers for hours some try to vandalize or throw beer bottles or even try to open other's doors. One can be trapped in the "quarantine" log jam with no way to escape it for as much as two hours.
Radio Traffic reports say nothing until half an hour later. Sigalerts that are normally issued for severely delays on freeways are some how not issued. I guess to avoid revelers knowing where to go to avoid "quarantine" zones. Complaints from residents fell on deaf years for years.
But all of a sudden since 2010 it appears these things disappeared from the news. Apparently city sponsored event in downtown San Jose had been cut for a while due to budget constraints, I believe that had largely reduced the crowds traveling to San Jose.
Though in 2020 despite COVID I heard the rowdyness was back in parts of San Jose despite no formal city sanctioned activities. DOes this

I heard San Jose also had rowdy events throughout the year i.e Mardi Gras, San Patricks Day, September 16 but are they still bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: