Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,086 times

Advertisements

Wanted to know if any Cali people visited or move to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma My Sister thinks that I will save a lot more and because right now I am in a one bedroom $925. And I have looked on Craigslist and found 2 bedrooms out there for 550-600 a month and the job that I am interested in pays the around the same as Cali. I figure at the rate I am going I will never get my kids there own room since 2 bedrooms around the lake are @ $1200 a month OMMMMG!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 06:33 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
I have heard it's a nice city. Never been there though. I would assume it's a lot like my hometown of Des Moines Iowa. Get ready for a serious change of pace. Not only is housing cheaper, so is just about everything else.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:35 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,562 times
Oklahoma City is a very nice place! Most of my family is originally from OKC and I really love it, but it is very different from California.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:30 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
This was part of my territory for 2 years while I was based in Dallas, so I spent alot of time there....

All I can say is be careful. People are nice, homes are inexpensive...yes.

However, I was always very happy to leave OK and head back to Dallas, which feels like Manhattan in comparison to OK.

Also, one BIG reason to be cautious is.....google "oklahoma tornado", while you are at it google "oklahoma ice storm 2007".

Books are written on Tornadoes in this state....they happen and happen often. Everyone I met that was born and raised there had physically been in at least 2 tornadoes in their lifetime. Say what you will about the ocassional earthquake in CA, but until you feel those 100mph winds and hear those sirens whine, you have no idea what you are getting yourself into...even minor F3s can tear asphalt out of the ground and throw 4000 lb vehicles around like toys.

There is more to life than cheap housing. If cheap is what you need, try some place like Tracy in the East Bay....decent little tract homes for well under 200k. You could make 15 dollars an hour and afford a home there....and you get to stay in CA.

This is just one person's opinion of course, but don't get seduced by cheap home prices. I've seen it happen way too many times.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
True. There are some very inexpensive homes in Tracy.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:32 PM

If you want affordable housing, nice/intelligent people, a great job market and a more cosmopolitan feel, then I would start off in North Dallas first. That's a much easier transition from CA. Then it's just a short drive to visit the relatives in OK.

Visit the Dallas forum and read the posts....tons of info there.

But once you live here, it's really hard to live anywhere else. Not that other places are bad, but they aren't CA.

CA just gets in your DNA.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:47 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,896 times
One problem with Tracy - the flat, dull landscape kinda looks like Oklahoma. But there is no question that it's close to more scenic, interesting and fun parts of California, and it's relatively inexpensive.

It sounds like the local (Seattle) NBA team is also thinking about moving to Oklahoma City. That should help give OKC more of a "big league" feel.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:14 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
I moved from the Central coast of Ca to Tulsa. I love it here, you couldnt MAKE me move back. The thing that stands out for me is a sense of community, neighbors helping neighbors. People dont believe me that there is way more to do out here, coming from a town with 100K to one with 400+K it is not hard to see why.

I was lucky to sell my home "before" the "bubble" burst so I was able to buy 2 homes with $$ left over. It helps things when you have dough in your pocket. It seems like 1 Ca. dollar turns into 2 OK dollar's, ha ha!!

The weather is crazy and that icestorm, yeah it sucked. But really no big deal.

PM me if you want more info.... I could go on for days on why Tulsa is better than Orcutt. Whatever though, live life and be happy. My Happiness gauge has been through the roof since I left "Cali".
28 years born and raised too!

Oh yeah one more thing, I used to travel to OKC when I lived out west and the one thing I do remember is all of the HOT young ladies in OKC!! And they were all pretty friendly. Yep still are!! except I'm married now so that doesnt really matter.

I would DEFINITLY go for OKC over DFW. Unless you like L.A. Then DFW might not be as much of a culture shock as OKC.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:53 AM

LiveLeak.com - EF-5 Tornado hammers Parkersburg, Iowa

Sorry, just not my cup of tea. We are all different in our needs and expectations, so I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:39 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
LiveLeak.com - EF-5 Tornado hammers Parkersburg, Iowa

Sorry, just not my cup of tea. We are all different in our needs and expectations, so I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

Yeah and Parkersburg, IA. is over 650 MILES from OKC. Tornados hit a TON of states this year, Tennesee, Georgia, Nebraska, Missouri, Oklahoma.... ETC ETC

You can live you're life in fear anywhere in the great U.S. I don't think Tornados are anyone's cup of tea, either are earthquakes, hurricanes, wildfires or any other natural disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose