Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 07:42 PM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times

Advertisements

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is requiring the city to clear out the area within the next 30 days in order to avoid losing millions in future federal funding for the airport.
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...s-17416202.php

How about giving them a bus ticket to anywhere as long as it's far away from San Jose.

Last edited by john3232; 09-02-2022 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 09:18 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
How about giving them a bus ticket to anywhere as long as it's far away from San Jose.
NIMBY much?

You know they don't gather here by random default, right? So sending away the current groups won't solve the problem - it just makes room for new people. Compassion, empathy, and addressing policies that contribute, would be a much better plan of action. Or we could treat them like invasive cattle, if that makes you feel better.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:19 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Btw, why does your location say "AZ?" Is that outdated, or are you someone who doesn't even live here?

Old 09-09-2022, 02:02 PM

61 posts, read 38,188 times
Default America is a great country. Really?

"The richest 1 percent of Americans evade as much as $163 billion in taxes every year." - Robert Reich, Berkeley professor, former Secretary of Labor.

Imagine how many people this country could help with even a fraction of that money, were these overly entitled, self-absorbed pinheads not so calloused, greedy, and indifferent. These homeless people deserve much more consideration. The fact that they're homeless in the first place is a poor reflection on this society. There should be an endless amount of resources to help them, whatever the cause of their predicament. At the very least, they should have a place to stay, food to eat, a safe place they can rest comfortably, and resources to help them out. They shouldn't have to form these encampments.

The Bay Area is no better than any other area in this regard. Quite disappointing.

Old 09-09-2022, 02:15 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is requiring the city to clear out the area within the next 30 days in order to avoid losing millions in future federal funding for the airport.
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...s-17416202.php

Send them all to Pelosi's house in Pacific Heights. Oh wait! Pelosi moved to Florida. Even she can't stand SF anymore.

Old 09-11-2022, 01:33 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeRover20 View Post
"The richest 1 percent of Americans evade as much as $163 billion in taxes every year." - Robert Reich, Berkeley professor, former Secretary of Labor.

Imagine how many people this country could help with even a fraction of that money, were these overly entitled, self-absorbed pinheads not so calloused, greedy, and indifferent. These homeless people deserve much more consideration. The fact that they're homeless in the first place is a poor reflection on this society. There should be an endless amount of resources to help them, whatever the cause of their predicament. At the very least, they should have a place to stay, food to eat, a safe place they can rest comfortably, and resources to help them out. They shouldn't have to form these encampments.

The Bay Area is no better than any other area in this regard. Quite disappointing.
They “deserve” more consideration? How’s that? Exactly what does that mean? If you’re implying that the government should take more of the money that taxpayers work for and give it to homeless people who refuse to work, then you are wrong. There’s more jobs than there are workers in this country. They could get a job and rent an apartment, but that would require them to take some personal responsibility and stop using drugs. I have no empathy for homeless people any longer. Nowadays they’re mostly just entitled lazy gen-z bums.

Cities like San Jose are being overrun. It’s a shame that productive citizens can no longer live peacefully in their communities without homeless “camps” springing up all around.

Old 09-11-2022, 02:26 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
They “deserve” more consideration? How’s that? Exactly what does that mean? If you’re implying that the government should take more of the money that taxpayers work for and give it to homeless people who refuse to work, then you are wrong. There’s more jobs than there are workers in this country. They could get a job and rent an apartment, but that would require them to take some personal responsibility and stop using drugs. I have no empathy for homeless people any longer. Nowadays they’re mostly just entitled lazy gen-z bums.

Cities like San Jose are being overrun. It’s a shame that productive citizens can no longer live peacefully in their communities without homeless “camps” springing up all around.
Heh. Your response demonstrates you know exactly zip about homelessness.
No, I’m not defending them. Just observing based on your own comments.
And yes, I do know a LOT about homelessness. (No, I’m not homeless and never have been.)

Old 09-11-2022, 02:52 PM

1,022 posts, read 737,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeRover20 View Post

Well said, every word.
Your 1st sentence ' The richest 1 percent' will get overlooked by a few posters so be prepared to receive a few bad spots sports

Old 09-11-2022, 03:09 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
So nobody read the article, I see.
The city is providing everyone in the encampment a place to go. Some 'residents' and their advocates are decrying the type of alternative housing being offered. The one spokesperson quoted mentions that the offers don't "provide living situations comparable to the ones they’ve created (illegally) for themselves near the airport". That's quite a statement. A tent propped up in the weeds in the flight path of an airport is better than a trailer with developed facilities? Umm, ok.

This is beggars trying to be choosers at its finest. It's not unique to this story or locale either.

Old 09-14-2022, 03:57 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Heh. Your response demonstrates you know exactly zip about homelessness.
No, I’m not defending them. Just observing based on your own comments.
And yes, I do know a LOT about homelessness. (No, I’m not homeless and never have been.)
I know that the government takes about 40% of my wages in the form of taxes of some sort. That's money that I exchange my time for. That's time I spend away from my children, my wife, my home, my hobbies, my interests, and any number of other activities that I would prefer to be doing. How much more would you like me to pay in taxes? Is 40% not enough? Would 50% be better? How about 60%? When does it stop? When I can't pay my mortgage because my taxes are 70% and I'm homeless too? When? For real?

Meanwhile, people like you are telling me that I should send more of the money I work for to pay the living expenses of people who are laying in a tent getting high. No thanks. There are jobs EVERYWHERE. They can get a job. If they starve, they starve. If they have children they should be taken away by the state. I don't mind feeding the kids until they are 18, but the parents... NOPE.

Enough of the pity party for the homeless. People need to take personal responsibility for their situation. I do. It's not my job to support other people's bad choices. Figure it out, or go hungry. But get the heck out of my neighborhood and stop harassing children in the park. I don't feel bad for the homeless. NOT AT ALL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose