Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2022, 11:02 AM

926 posts, read 978,544 times

Advertisements

I have been renting past few years throwing away ~30000 in rental income. Housing price is too mcuh even condos. Alternative I figured perhaps if there are properties that offer rent which counts toward purchasing unit at the end of term. It is usually seem unpopular and I found real estate website offering exactly that service. But those are mostly houses and asking for rental rate of average of 10000$ a month. I obviously can not afford that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 12:08 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,834 times
Rents generally track mortgage payments, so yeah, rents in the Bay Area are insane and make it extremely hard to save money to buy a house. It's pretty hard everywhere, though. I hope you find a rent-to-own opportunity, please post if you do, I'm sure other people would find it useful.

If you're still single, you might want to consider living out of a van for a while. Then your transportation expense doubles as your living expense, and you can actually save money to buy a house. I wouldn't say it's common, but people certainly do it. Here's a YouTube channel with a lot of practical advice (there are quite a few YouTube channels on people living out of their van in urban areas, the one I linked is geared more toward retirees).

This is a local company that outfits vans to make them living spaces (I have no association with them and have never used their services, so I can't speak to the quality of their work, but it's worth checking out). There is no bathroom, so people join a 24 Hour Fitness or other similar low-cost gym so they have a place to take a shower and use the facilities.

Of course, the cheapest way to go is just buy a van and throw a cot in the back, but if you want some amenities and don't want to do it yourself (like insulating the van so you don't freeze in winter and melt in summer), having someone do it who builds out lots of vans is an option.

Good luck!

Last edited by jdhpa; 12-04-2022 at 12:18 PM..

Old 12-04-2022, 12:53 PM

926 posts, read 978,544 times
i got a kid sharing custody with mother so van living is not really an option although i would like to do so. secondly getting older, whenever i go for camping, sleeping in a cramped setting causes me to fatigue and hemorrhoid goes off bleeding.

Old 12-31-2022, 01:00 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,559,492 times
I’d be careful of those rent to own contracts. A lot of gotchas in them and nearly no one ever buys in the end. The big winner is the landlord in the contract.

Old 12-31-2022, 02:10 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I’d be careful of those rent to own contracts. A lot of gotchas in them and nearly no one ever buys in the end. The big winner is the landlord in the contract.
This. OP, most rent-to-owns are corporate-owned, IOW they're owned by Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs), which means the rentals are a stock market commodity. Therefore it's not in the owners' interests to offer a fair deal. REITs exist to milk their rental sources for money to pay their shareholders with, and also to accrue value in the stock market for the corporate owners. They're very exploitive.

Beware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose