U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2008, 06:31 PM
 
2,437 posts, read 7,523,790 times
Reputation: 1522

Advertisements

I'll be moving away from the Silicon Valley, to another state, in just a few months. This has been a fine place to live for the past decade or so, and there are many things I will miss, but here are the top ten things I won't miss about the area:
1) Unaffordable Housing - Even with the housing glut, I still can't get into a an average family home for under $600k, bare minimum. A bay area salary has never made the mortgage worth it.
2) Drivers - I like to do 55-60 in the 55 zone on the Guadalupe Fwy, but most other drivers seem to want me dead for it.
3) Lack of Personal Space - I am often feeling my personal space invaded, especially in lines at the store and such in my predominantly Asian and Indian neighborhood. Nothing against those nationalities, really, but I think those cultures tend to have a different sense of personal space than I do.
4) Body Odor - usually from curry and other exotic spices (again, sorry if that sounds racist)
5) The weather - I do appreciate sunshine and warmth and all, but I'm ready for some variety, not to mention some rain.
6) Google Shirts - Okay, I get it, you have a really good job. What else you got?
7) Rampant Materialism - Santana Row - need I say more?
8) Tech talk - I have to hear it all day, at work, fine, but can we find something else to talk about when we're not at work. Try sports or the weather, like the rest of the country.
9) Earthquakes - they are kind of exciting, but I can do without them.
10) Beamers, Lexi, and Audis everywhere - maybe this is the same as #2 and #7 above though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2008, 07:54 PM
hsw
 
2,144 posts, read 6,557,775 times
Reputation: 1538
LOL....

Have lived/worked in Manhattan, SF and LA...and visited many major US/EU business cities over the yrs.....they're each mockable in different ways...amusing how many "natives" of large cities tend to be provincial and ill-informed re: other cities/other suburban corridors in own urban region, despite claiming to be sophisticated....

E.g., even within SF region, many mockable diffces and vast cultural changes seen amongst City of SF (even its more affluent, conservative PacHts area vs SOMA); SF Peninsula (Woodside/Atherton/PA crowd vs the many slums along 101); EastBay (esp all the high-crime cities along Bay vs Berkeley socialists vs 24/680 corridor's aspirational middle-class); and deep in SV, which quickly becomes very similar to OC as one heads much South of Stanford....and many of the diffces are socio-economic....

Can draw many similar, amusing parallels if one dissects any vast, sprawling, dynamic urban region like NYC/LA/Chic, etc....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2008, 12:23 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, Az
461 posts, read 1,363,657 times
Reputation: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I'll be moving away from the Silicon Valley, to another state, in just a few months. This has been a fine place to live for the past decade or so, and there are many things I will miss, but here are the top ten things I won't miss about the area:
1) Unaffordable Housing - Even with the housing glut, I still can't get into a an average family home for under $600k, bare minimum. A bay area salary has never made the mortgage worth it.
2) Drivers - I like to do 55-60 in the 55 zone on the Guadalupe Fwy, but most other drivers seem to want me dead for it.
3) Lack of Personal Space - I am often feeling my personal space invaded, especially in lines at the store and such in my predominantly Asian and Indian neighborhood. Nothing against those nationalities, really, but I think those cultures tend to have a different sense of personal space than I do.
4) Body Odor - usually from curry and other exotic spices (again, sorry if that sounds racist)
5) The weather - I do appreciate sunshine and warmth and all, but I'm ready for some variety, not to mention some rain.
6) Google Shirts - Okay, I get it, you have a really good job. What else you got?
7) Rampant Materialism - Santana Row - need I say more?
8) Tech talk - I have to hear it all day, at work, fine, but can we find something else to talk about when we're not at work. Try sports or the weather, like the rest of the country.
9) Earthquakes - they are kind of exciting, but I can do without them.
10) Beamers, Lexi, and Audis everywhere - maybe this is the same as #2 and #7 above though.

Amen! These are all the things I complain about daily out here, I'll add my own to that:

1. Crappy Public Transportation- Seriously, I am stuck standing in the train every day but they all say they don't have enough ridership to clean or maintain them.
2. "I'm not too worried about it" mentality- Honestly, if I hear this phrase again I'll scream
3. Everything opening late and closing early and nobody ever being on time... UUUGGHHH!!!!
4. The beggars- seriously, the homeless, the shelters, the environmentalists and everyone else asking for money on every street corner and in every parking lot and in front of the stores gets exhausting.
5. The Body Odor from people who just never wear deodorant.
6. The freezing cold nights and mornings- Who thought we'd need heat in July?
7. Half the population doesn't speak a word of English- I just hate getting stuck behind people who can't figure out what the clerk is saying to complete their transaction.
8. The "entitled" attitude- people out here think 7 figure salaries, huge homes and luxury cars are their birthright.
9. The drivers- I think they are trying to run over all the pedestrians... cross walk? stop sign? red light? They aren't too worried about it.
10. The way EVERYTHING takes forever out here. Doctor appointment- Minimum 3 hours. Grocery store visit- at least an hour. Dinner out- about 3 hours. Between the traffic, the slow people, the people who don't speak English, people showing up late, and pathetic service your time is just sucked away.

I'm working on getting out... slowly but surely I'll do it. Good luck to you in your new home. I hope it's all you need and are wishing for!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2008, 03:13 AM
 
22 posts, read 69,527 times
Reputation: 17
I think I am fine with #2,#6 and #10
#2: I am a speeder
#6: Google is like what people wanna work at
#10: I like luxury cars, and I don't see a problem people driving a fancy car

Anyways, good luck moving to another state...That helps the traffic here
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2008, 12:50 PM
 
Location: San Jose
5 posts, read 17,091 times
Reputation: 10
earthquakes? come on you cant complain about those! its not even like they happen often, and i'd take the occasional earthquake over the hurricanes, tornados, and floods that happen each year in other parts of the country.

Last edited by CivicEx2000; 07-26-2008 at 01:03 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2008, 02:50 PM
 
2,437 posts, read 7,523,790 times
Reputation: 1522
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicEx2000 View Post
earthquakes? come on you cant complain about those! its not even like they happen often, and i'd take the occasional earthquake over the hurricanes, tornados, and floods that happen each year in other parts of the country.
I'm not complaining about earthquakes - but why would I miss having them? I don't want to experience those other disasters either though, which is why I'm not moving to tornado country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2008, 03:34 PM
 
197 posts, read 907,648 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I'm not complaining about earthquakes - but why would I miss having them? I don't want to experience those other disasters either though, which is why I'm not moving to tornado country.

Haha, nice one
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2008, 04:24 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 15,054,063 times
Reputation: 2909
If all earthquakes were like that one in Alum Rock some months back, I'd probably miss them. That was a good one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2008, 08:07 PM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
7,688 posts, read 26,663,270 times
Reputation: 3587
I was in the middle of rehearsing with a choir in Campbell at the time of that Alum Rock quake. You can imagine the screaming was pretty rich and full.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2008, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
2,955 posts, read 7,944,745 times
Reputation: 1422
I grew up in SV, and I really loved my childhood there when it was very affordable, jobs were abundant and the school system was very good. I still visit from time to time because I have friends and family there, but it is not the same place I remember it as. I moved 5 years ago because it was already hard then, and I wanted to own a home and live in a tax friendly state. The city I live in now isn't perfect, but its has put me in a more comfortable place in my pocketbook. The difference between the Haves and Have nots in SV is very wide and its very hard for the regular joe to get ahead.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top