Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 04:42 PM

40 posts, read 94,073 times

Advertisements

My husband is originally from San Jose. We have been married almost a year, and he is pressuring me to move to San Jose. We are currently living in my home town of Greeneville, Tn.

We are both 40 years old. I have been at the same factory job for 9 years. In order to move to California, I will have to quit my job and draw out my 401K money for the moving expenses. Neither of us have jobs lined up. I don't know if San Jose has any factory assembly jobs, but that is what I am used to doing and what I like doing.

I am terrified of moving so far away from my family and friends and all that is familiar. On the other hand, I feel like since I am already 40, if I am going to make a move like this, I shouldn't wait too long to do it. I am so confused.

I need some input here. Are we taking too big a risk moving right now? Will I be able to find a decent job, or will we end up on the street? Will I be able to withstand the culture shock? I mean, is the crime rate as bad as the news makes it out to be?

Is it worth the risk? Anybody got a comment??

Old 07-30-2008, 06:04 PM

22 posts, read 74,367 times
I am not sure if you will be able to find jobs easily in San Jose since San Jose is a place of Tech companies. You will have to pay a lot of money to live there since the housing is pretty expensive even compared to California.
Speaking of crime rate, I look up city-data. San Jose has a lower crime rate than your home town and it is one of the safest city in America.Though, San Jose has some gangs, but I don't know too much about them.
It is pretty diverse. A lot of asians and hispanics live there. Therefore, you will have to expect to see less caucasians people in SJ.
Hope that helps

Old 07-30-2008, 07:44 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
I would say it is pretty risky to move to such an expensive place to live without any jobs lined up. First find job(s) then you will be in a better place to make an informed decision. And then visit the area if you haven't already. Get a feel for the communities and vibe which is different from Tn.

You don't want to squander your savings only to find you don't like it and/or can't find the right jobs to have the same quality of life you have now in Tn.

But with that said life is an adventure and sometimes you need to step out into the unknown to experience something new and fun. Just balance that ambition out with some common sense and planning.

My 2c,

Derek

Old 07-30-2008, 09:55 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Ok, let's weigh the pros and cons here.

Cons:
1) Quitting the jobs you have now
2) Decimating your retirement savings for expenses
3) Leaving family and friends
4) Moving to one of the most expensive places in the country broke and unemployed

Pros:
1) Your husband of 1 year wants to move there

Ok, sounds good to me.

Just kidding. I wouldn't do it.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 17,760 times
Unless your husband will incur the cost of moving there and you placing your savings in a safe place, then do it. Otherwise, like everyone said, your going to be moving to one of the most expensive places and w/o a job, all I can say is good luck.

Try the job boards if you are serious (hotjobs.com, monster.com, bajobs.com) as well as craigslist.com to get an idea of how much the real estate costs and some rentals.
Definitely do some research before heading out here!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:22 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
San Jose does not have factory assembly jobs due to the very high cost of land making it prohibitive. It is an engineer's heaven and a squeeze for anyone else. There is an auto plant in Fremont (NUMMI), but I would not count on being able to land a job there as a matter of course.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:50 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
I have some experience of meeting people that move west from the south. It is a BIG CULTURE SHOCK. I think fianacially, you might be better off in TN since the cost of living is lower and you already have a steady job. Why does your hubby want to move back? San Jose is a nice city with a lot of culture, but it is very expensive. Good luck on this one.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:07 PM

7 posts, read 20,786 times
I live in the bay area for over 17 years. The weather is great but the cost of living is very high. I have enough of it. I'm moving out. Here I come Greenville SC. Good luck if you really want to move to San Jose.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:42 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
You're risking money you have saved for retirement to move somewhere (one of the most expensive places in the U.S.) where you have nothing lined up. I would not do that.

Plus what news channels are you watching? San Jose's crime rate is low, especially for cities of a million people.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:44 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Don't move out here unless you've got things secured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose