Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 PM

233 posts, read 827,412 times

Advertisements

Would it be too much of a hassle in reality? Especially since during the week, I'd be working 12 hour workdays.

I really would like a chance to explore SF though.

If I live in the Inner Richmond of SF and commute downtown SF to work, how would that compare to working in SJ and living in SJ?

I am just wondering if the money saved by living in SJ is worth the trouble of living there and commuting to SF for fun on the weekends.

Can someone give me some input regarding this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:47 PM

3 posts, read 8,048 times
It shouldn't be a problem at all.

If you plan on using Caltrain or VTA in San Jose, you can get a monthly two-zone pass that'll allow you to take Caltrain to SF for free on weekends and holidays. It's an easy ride on Caltrain, an hour or less depending on where you are and where you're going. Alternately, get a day pass for Caltrain for the day you want to go up.

I've just moved to SJ, and I'll be spending this weekend having fun in SF.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:07 PM

20 posts, read 125,877 times
It depends what you mean by "play." If you are a young and/or single person, you may be interested in late-night activities SF has to offer: clubbing, bars, etc. If that's the case, you'll need to check the schedules online for CalTrain, etc. I'm not sure how late CalTrain runs, but BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) rarely runs past midnight even on Friday and Saturday nights. My husband and I have had to cut many fun evenings short as a result when going out with friends in SF.

Also, while I have nothing against SJ (in fact I lived there for a few years), if I were single and childless I'd choose a job and home in SF over a job and home in SJ any day. (However, the weather in San Jose beats SF hands-down.) If living AND working in SF is an option for you, I'd encourage you to take that route.

Another option might be working in SF and living in Oakland (there are some very nice, safe areas) to save money on housing.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:05 AM

58 posts, read 274,262 times
Since is wasn't mentioned, the drive from San Jose to SF is about 45 min. to an hour. depending on traffic conditions and your particular destination.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:20 PM

6 posts, read 94,953 times
It shouldn't be any problem, we do that often too. But you mentioned that you can save in SJ.... I don't think is easy to save in SJ, since the cost of living is quite high here.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:18 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZrhythm View Post
Since is wasn't mentioned, the drive from San Jose to SF is about 45 min. to an hour. depending on traffic conditions and your particular destination.
I've gotten stuck in traffic so bad on weekends that it took me 45 minutes to get from San Francisco to South San Francisco. It was agonizing. Even rush hour is nothing like that.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:20 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
It doesn't make sense to. You won't really save money. It's not like moving outside Manhattan.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:23 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
stay put.
i left my heart in san francisco
of course that has made it rough on everybody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose