Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:26 PM

141 posts, read 646,619 times

Advertisements

I find it amusing that "liberals" and democrats are complaining about the high costs in California.. don't you realize that the high tax rates are part of the reason for the high cost of living? I am not a Republican or Democrat and find it strange that people so closely identify with one of the other but I just find that amusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 04:52 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickca View Post
I find it amusing that "liberals" and democrats are complaining about the high costs in California.. don't you realize that the high tax rates are part of the reason for the high cost of living? I am not a Republican or Democrat and find it strange that people so closely identify with one of the other but I just find that amusing.
As a Republican, I have to say I partly agree and partly disagree with you. We do have high tax rates here in CA. However, the main thing that drives the cost of living so high here are our housing policies. Nobody wants new housing built in their back yard, and existing homeowners have the ability to block a lot of development.

Of course, that proposition from back in 1978 that limited property taxes does not give cities any incentive to build housing either. But I think the legislature could find a way to incentivize building more housing if it wanted to.

But instead, the (Democrat controlled) legislature likes to wring its hands and wonder how all of this could happen and then blame Republicans for not wanting to raise the minimum wage etc. They don't realize that people wouldn't need to earn inflated wages if we actually BUILT some housing.

The other thing that drives high tax rates (well there are lots of things, really) is illegal immigration. We simply can not afford to allow a huge influx of uneducated, illegal, immigrants into the state/country and then be surprised that we can't afford to educate and provide social services for them. This is not rocket science here. Although Republicans are also somewhat culpable on this issue.

And then of course, high health care costs are diving up state sponsored health insurance costs for low income people. We, as a country, need to get serious about making health care costs reasonable for BOTH taxpayers and consumers alike. Unfortunately, Democrats only focus on getting more people covered and think this will fix all the problems (not even close!!!)and Republicans deny there's a problem. So we end up throwing more and more money at a horribly expensive and inefficient system.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:23 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
But it really is a different way of life. Lets face it, no place is perfect. When you move from the Bay area to another state you will be trading one set of pros/cons for a new set.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:32 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
However, the main thing that drives the cost of living so high here are our housing policies. Nobody wants new housing built in their back yard, and existing homeowners have the ability to block a lot of development.

Of course, that proposition from back in 1978 that limited property taxes does not give cities any incentive to build housing either. But I think the legislature could find a way to incentivize building more housing if it wanted to.

But instead, the (Democrat controlled) legislature likes to wring its hands and wonder how all of this could happen and then blame Republicans for not wanting to raise the minimum wage etc. They don't realize that people wouldn't need to earn inflated wages if we actually BUILT some housing.

The other thing that drives high tax rates (well there are lots of things, really) is illegal immigration. We simply can not afford to allow a huge influx of uneducated, illegal, immigrants into the state/country and then be surprised that we can't afford to educate and provide social services for them. This is not rocket science here. Although Republicans are also somewhat culpable on this issue.
Somewhat culpable? The Republicans are A LOT more than just somewhat culpable on this issue.

Drive down the 101 sometime through the central coast farm lands ... you'll see tons of McCain signs, NOT Obama signs. And see who's bringing illegals here literally by the truck loads ... it's Republicans (and big time Republican campaign contributors at that) who own the big farms and bring illegals to this state by the millions. None of this would be happening if Republicans weren't bringing the illegals here in the first place.

As for building housing ... what you say is true. Particularly on the Central Coast and Bay Area where prices are higher. However, as much as I like cheap housing, I'm not sure I want that to change. I like the fact that a lot of these towns are slow growth and that they actually debate and plan development. I also like the fact that much of the California central coast is still preserved and not overrun with housing tracts and shopping malls.

I've lived in places where anything goes with the crowded urban sprawl and, IMO, the quality of life is better with less of it. If that means I have to pay more, so be it.

However, even if California decided to build more cheap housing ... that would still bring us back to the illegal problem. Because you know who the contractors would hire ... right? Illegals, of course. Just like they did during the boom ... all in the name of lower costs which didn't benefit anyone but themselves.

Last edited by sheri257; 10-21-2008 at 07:21 AM..

Old 10-31-2008, 04:35 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickca View Post
Personally, I think CA is hurting the most from prop 13 - the one that freezes property taxes for property owners who have owned their property for more than X years. It was great for home owners, but they were a small percentage in terms of the winners. It was the commercial property owners that have made out big time. CA is missing out on so much tax revenue compared to other states, forcing them to hit everyone who isn't saved by prop 13 that much harder to make up for it. Until they fix that one it's going to cost everyone else a lot of money and the state will suffer.

And if you want to look at this from a political viewpoint, which party tends to favor tax breaks for the big corporations while the little guy bleeds? I'm guessing that 90% of the home owners in CA are paying outrageously high property taxes because of prop 13, a prop that saves commercial property owners boat loads of cash every year. Good luck getting that one changed. It's a mess on both sides.

Last edited by Ludachris; 10-31-2008 at 04:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose