Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 01:04 PM

6 posts, read 52,598 times

Advertisements

All,
I might be joining a job in Santa Cruz. How is the commute from Santa Clara to Santa Cruz on Hwy 17? Which is the best mode of commute? Any help is appreciated.

Sush
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 01:27 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,288,527 times
There's a bus that goes over 17 and ends up in DTSJ. I assume it's more for people commuting the other way, but it may be of some use.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:56 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,150,615 times
Airplane would be best. That commute SOOKS! Even in reverse. Why don't you just move to Santa Cruz. You can live in a treehouse or something.
http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/imag...reehouse27.jpg

Old 08-15-2008, 02:28 PM

208 posts, read 977,331 times
best thing you can do is live on the same side of "the hill" you are working in...so if you work on the santa cruz side, live on the santa cruz side. the commute can be 1.5 hours or more (by car) each way at commute time.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:30 PM

55 posts, read 214,072 times
it's not as bad as others have said... definately not 1.5 hrs each wa. i commuted from almaden to capitola for two years. it was 45 mins each way. the drive isn't bad because it's reverse commute. and it's kinda nice driving on 17 rather than sitting on 101 or 85 in stop and go traffic. the only negatives are highway 1 can get backed up and you definately have to focus while on 17... that can be draining for some people, but it didn't bother me too much. if you don't have to get on highway 1, that would be a huge bonus... even with the fishook upgrade, it still sucks. it also sucked when there was a bad accident, that can back things up since there's really no alternate routes. but those accidents are typically on the commute side (you would be on the reverse commute side). I think in two years I got stuck in two bad back-ups that lasted around 1-2 hrs. also, sports car is a nice luxury if you have one. not that you have to drive really fast, but you get much better handling in the turns.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:43 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,818,831 times
I wouldn't want to do it on an everyday basis. But it's better than commuting from Santa Cruz to Santa Clara, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sush08 View Post
All,
I might be joining a job in Santa Cruz. How is the commute from Santa Clara to Santa Cruz on Hwy 17? Which is the best mode of commute? Any help is appreciated.

Sush

Old 08-17-2008, 04:10 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,680,541 times
The only bad thing I can think of is when there is a accident, you will be stuck! People tend to drive 17 very fast and there are a few areas where the road doesn't have a solid barrier. Otherwise, it is a very nice drive to the coast.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:54 PM

635 posts, read 3,082,284 times
I worked with many people that made the commute daily, and it was do-able, but they had plenty of war stories and often opted to tele-commute as much as possible if the job allowed.

17 is a beautiful drive to be sure and isn't an impossibly long drive(although too long for my tastes daily), but as pointed out it also is a mixed bag being the only major artery over the hill. But that being said, it is not the "only" way over the hill if you know the roads. However, once on 17, the opportunity to get off is limited.

Unless you have some deep seated reason to avoid living on the Santa Cruz side of the hill, you have a lot options other than Santa Cruz itself such as Scotts Valley, Watsonville, Boulder Creek, etc...

If I had a job in SC, I'd probably look for a house up in the mountains

Good luck!
Al

Old 08-20-2008, 07:59 AM

6 posts, read 52,598 times
Default Thank you for sharing your experiences

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. My partner works in Santa Clara, so I cannot move to Santa Cruz. Either way, one of us should commute over the hill, that means it's better in the reverse direction. For the moment, I am looking for jobs in Santa Clara.

Thanks,
Sush

Old 08-21-2008, 01:57 PM

64 posts, read 311,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sush08 View Post
All,

Sush
just be sure your car is good on gas. it's not a tremendously long commute but it is a commute on a hill and so mileage and gas costs can end up being a factor and eat up a certain amount of your employment pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose