Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 12:02 AM

8 posts, read 13,467 times

Advertisements

Hey Folks !

I live in Cupertino near 85/280. I need to commute to Scott Blvd, Santa Clara between San Tomas and Bowers.

I'm a real advocate of back roads .... =)

Thanks !
Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 12:33 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatinCupe View Post
Hey Folks !

I live in Cupertino near 85/280. I need to commute to Scott Blvd, Santa Clara between San Tomas and Bowers.

I'm a real advocate of back roads .... =)
Well, congratulations! You get to take 280 going the right way in the morning (I do this as well)! Racing past the daily jam that is 280 north in the morning is always a not-so-guilty pleasure.

Or, Pruneridge to Winchester is always a nice alternative from Cupertino.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:11 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
I would take 280 to Saratoga, then San Tomas Expwy the rest of the way.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:37 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
If the freeway is clear, take, 280 to Saratoga Ave. North to San Tomas Expwy. north. If it's backed up, take Homestead to San Tomas. Don't take Bowers at all. All those three-way-stoplight take forever to get through. There really is no 'backroad' traffic-frree route going that way, but 280 usally moves pretty well going aginst the main flow like that, an San Tomas is not great, but it's still the fastest way across town in that area.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Well, congratulations! You get to take 280 going the right way in the morning (I do this as well)! Racing past the daily jam that is 280 north in the morning is always a not-so-guilty pleasure.

Or, Pruneridge to Winchester is always a nice alternative from Cupertino.
I kinda thought I would be going against commute on 280, yeah !!! I just came back that way about half an hour ago from a friend's house and it was smooooooth sailing !

Thanks !
Cat

Old 09-25-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I would take 280 to Saratoga, then San Tomas Expwy the rest of the way.
Yep I looked on a map and Saratoga seemed like the best bet. I remember back in the 80s when I worked in Santa Clara and would take Lawrence and it was packed !! Not the same case with San Tomas though huh ?

Thanks !
Cat

Old 09-25-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
If the freeway is clear, take, 280 to Saratoga Ave. North to San Tomas Expwy. north. If it's backed up, take Homestead to San Tomas. Don't take Bowers at all. All those three-way-stoplight take forever to get through. There really is no 'backroad' traffic-frree route going that way, but 280 usally moves pretty well going aginst the main flow like that, an San Tomas is not great, but it's still the fastest way across town in that area.
Niiiiiiiice Tree ! So San Tomas moves okay most days then ? In a major pinch, I'm just up from Stelling (tho that's getting found out too!) so could shoot down to Homestead and straight shot it to San Tomas too. Many thanks for the tip on Bowers, it looked too easy eh ?

Regards,
Cat

Old 09-26-2009, 08:25 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Seconded on Bowers, the speed limit is too low and there are too many long lights. San Tomas is really your best bet. You could also take your chances with 880 - during off hours, it will be faster - but realize that it's a very, very poorly designed road and can be dangerous as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose