U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:04 AM

6 posts, read 27,092 times

Advertisements

Hello all..i'm wondering if someone can name for me the areas that are rich in hispanic population and whether it's possible to list the origin diversity too (mexican, centro america, venzulian, colombian, dominican, etc...)..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 03:04 AM

29,042 posts, read 46,872,248 times
Well, most of the Bay Area has a large Hispanic population. The majority of our residents are from Mexico, but there's also a strong community of Central & South Americans... I'd have to do research on specific nationalities, but I can tell you about the general Hispanic areas. San Jose itself has a very large population, which is spread out around the city - but the most are probably in the southeastern parts. On the Peninsula, eastern Redwood City and San Mateo probably have the highest numbers... actually my town, East Palo Alto, has the most (it's about 65% Hispanic), but it's a fairly dangerous neighborhood.

Other parts of the Bay Area have large communities as well, like Oakland, San Francisco (Mission district in particular), Hayward/San Leandro, Gilroy, and so on. If you go an hour~ south, the town of Salinas has a huge Hispanic population, but it's not a place I'd recommend otherwise. Of all the above, I'd probably choose to live in San Mateo or San Francisco, depending on the exact location. Hope this helps!

Old 02-16-2007, 09:54 AM

989 posts, read 5,542,108 times
If I was a Mexican-I would move to the Bay Area.

Crazy people who are all out racist against Mexicans reside in Orange County. If you look Mexican, most in OC will assume you are illegal. The center for about a dozen anti-immigrant groups were founded in O.C.(including the minutemen).

Santa Ana is really the only place where Mexicans are still accepted. Costa Mesa is deporting them. Mission Viejo and Lake Forest are arresting day laborers. Laguna might shut down it's job center. A Newport Beach politician called the cops to report too many Mexican's on the beach. The OC sheriff is deporting illegal criminals.

If you read the comment boards on OC newpapers everyone blame's every crime that happens on the Mexicans. Sure, Mexican's are responsible for a good amount of crime. However, it's just another OC stereotype.

Monterey County(on the peninsula) also has alot of people who hate Mexicans and illegals. I would avoid that area. Salinas has Mexican's, but also has gang problems. It is an agricultural area; therefore has high numbers of illegals.

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 02-16-2007 at 10:02 AM..

Old 02-16-2007, 10:25 AM

thanks for the quick responses.
Actually i'm just interested in Santa Calara and the San Jose area. i'll be probably working in the silican valley area. i like diversity areas but i also want to be somewhere around a venzuelian or colombian community as opposed to where i live now with mostly indian community.((lol, that comes with working in an IT field )) not that that is a complaint but i do want to stay around in a place where i can come after work and chit chat a little bit in the neighberhood in spanish..

Old 02-17-2007, 05:40 AM

29,042 posts, read 46,872,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zink View Post
thanks for the quick responses.
Actually i'm just interested in Santa Calara and the San Jose area. i'll be probably working in the silican valley area. i like diversity areas but i also want to be somewhere around a venzuelian or colombian community as opposed to where i live now with mostly indian community.((lol, that comes with working in an IT field )) not that that is a complaint but i do want to stay around in a place where i can come after work and chit chat a little bit in the neighberhood in spanish..
Well, regardless of their nationality, you shouldn't have a problem finding people who speak Spanish! I'm actually close to fluent, so I'd be happy to chat if City-Data allowed foreign languages... LOL. If you're most interested in the San Jose area, I'd look in the towns of Mountain View, Sunnyvale, and San Jose itself. Definitely avoid Santa Clara & Cupertino, if you're looking for a change from the Indian/Asian community. But as NewportBeach stated, the Bay Area overall is a great place for Hispanic people to live. Not to generalize Southern California, but we're typically more accepting of one another, and different ethnic groups get along pretty well. You won't find much blatant racism up here, and while the towns are somewhat segregated, you'll still feel welcomed everywhere. I'll try to find out more about the Columbian & Venezuelan communities nearby... but until then, Buena Suerte! (good luck!)

Old 02-19-2007, 07:57 AM

thanks for the info. i would like to keep close to san jose as i'll probably be working in that area (i'm an IT guy after all!!). i think i'll try renting my first apt for 3 or 6 months only until i get to know the area then see what to do...
sure can't wait to move there and leave this cold (NJ).

Old 02-19-2007, 02:41 PM

24 posts, read 126,804 times
I'm not sure about a strong Hispanic presence in Santa Clara, but you're in luck with San Jose.

Where I live (downtown San Jose but more towards the east side) has a strong Hispanic presence. East side San Jose (Story/King/Capitol) and the southern part like Senter/Monterey Hwy has alot of Hispanic areas (but in my opinion not safe). The area between Willow Glen and downtown San Jose, by the Alma DMV has alot of Hispanics.

I don't know about other So. American nationalities. I mostly see more Mexican culture.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:24 AM

9,722 posts, read 13,802,496 times
I don't live near San Jose but I thought a lot of Portuguese lived around there? My grandfather (Brazilian Portuguese) owned a dairy farm in Santa Clara over 50 years ago but I understand there was a Portuguese community somewhere around there...?? In the 1980s, we were able to get Portuguese foods shipped to us from San Jose.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:41 PM

18 posts, read 50,918 times
Default Portuguese Community

You are correct in that there is still a strong Portuguese presence in San Jose, particularly in the Alum Rock district as well as in the city of Santa Clara. My mom and I used to attend Five Wounds Portuguese church and there are still plenty of portuguese owned businesses off of Alum Rock Ave. as well as a cultural center not too far away. BTW, I was born in Brazil myself Small world!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:54 PM

60 posts, read 235,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zink View Post
thanks for the info. i would like to keep close to san jose as i'll probably be working in that area (i'm an IT guy after all!!). i think i'll try renting my first apt for 3 or 6 months only until i get to know the area then see what to do...
sure can't wait to move there and leave this cold (NJ).
It's not nice weather here whatsoever. It's been raining for the past 10 days straight with highs in the low 50s.

If you are looking for exciting/friendly latin culture and nice weather look elsewhere, like Florida. I made the mistake of moving here to work in IT as well, and now I regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or