Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 10:23 PM

141 posts, read 646,427 times

Advertisements

I figured I'd post to see if I could hear from anyone who has gone to CSU Monterrey Bay, I know its a new school and doesn't have much history. Anyways what are the people there like, etc, is there enough stuff to do while you are there in college. I have about 1 or 1 1/2 years (depending on some things) until I finish college so I need to pick somewhere to go and this is one of the schools I can get into (sorry to post about this twice as I posted about CSU East Bay in the SF forum) but there isn't much about the school out there, thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 12:45 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickca View Post
.......... Anyways what are the people there like, etc, is there enough stuff to do while you are there in college...........
"The people" are terrible and there is nothing to do - just joking.

If CSUMB has the classes you need to complete your degree it should be a good choice for you. Unless you don't like living in a mild climate next to the ocean with tons of things to distract you from your studies.

And btw, Monterey in California has only one "r"; it's the one in Mexico that has two.

Check out some of the sections on the Monterey Bay Craigslist to get more of an insight into the area and community.

Cheers

Old 10-18-2008, 01:00 PM

141 posts, read 646,427 times
Thanks for the response.. what I meant about the people is if they are all sort of the hippie stoner type you might find in Santa Cruz or Humboldt (I don't mean to offend anyone) but thats just not the crowd of people I would have anything in common with and I know small beach communities attract that type of person which is fine but just not for me. By the way I love the ocean and surfing, is it safe to surf there for the most part, I heard about a shark attack in Monterey bay last year.. are there spots that you can assume are safe?

Last edited by rickca; 10-18-2008 at 01:12 PM..

Old 10-18-2008, 01:49 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Well,

I can speak to the community at large. I work right next to CSUMB and swim in their outdoor pool at lunch time. While there is definately a beach vibe in Monterey and at the university it is a lot different from Santa Cruz surf vibe IMO. And I like SC. One of of best friends from college still lives there. But Monterey just doesn't have that same kind of grungy, surfing beach culture that SC is known for with all the good and bad which that brings. I am also a surfer who grew up exposed to that culture. So I know where you are coming from.

Monterey has more of a multicultural, international feel because of several strong military influences in the area. There are a lot of young adults who move here from other states and even countries to study at certain military based educational institutions - the Defense Language Institute and the Naval Post Grad School. And there are military projects and government defense jobs out here is well. That is one of the things that brought us here. Santa Cruz has a much more limited job market for what I do - software engineering.

Most ppl don't move here to surf, hence the different vibe. Yet there are decent spots up here to surf not to mention Moss Landing and SC to the north. It is also less crouded than SC. And I find the coastline more beautiful with the 17 mile drive and Big Sur in our backyard.

If you are looking for the closest possible place to the best surfing then UCSC is probably better. But if your interests extend beyond your next wave then I think Monterey is a better option.

Sharks are everywhere up here - Big Sur, Monterey, Santa Cruz, SF, etc... It is just a part of ocean life to be aware of and a risk one takes. I surf at Asilomar where a knee boarder was killed by a great white in the 70s. And there have been other incidents. But it doesn't happen every day thats for sure. So you just take precautions and go.

Here are some of the spots - Surfing Monterey.

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-18-2008 at 02:43 PM..

Old 10-18-2008, 03:48 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,258 times
MtnSurfer is spot on. There is a significant cultural difference between the UCSC and CSUMB communities, imo, and from what you say the latter would seem to fit you much closer.

My son surfs in several spots around Monterey, and has few qualms re: sharks. But it is the ocean, so always surf with buddies and use common sense.

Once, while eating lunch at the Monterey Beach Hotel [a common local surf area] I watched a baby shark play [or feed?] in the surf less than 10 yards off shore while mom "watched" from about 50 yards out. At the same time about 20 folk were playing in the surf and sand less than 60 yards north of the pup. They ignored each other for over 20 minutes, but when a few folk started drifting southward it was apparent that "mom" somehow signaled junior and he swam back out to where she had been brousing. They both then slowly worked their way seaward. I don't think the people on the beach even knew of the sharks' presence, but from my viewpoint higher above the sea's surface it was easy to see and interesting to watch.

Good luck whichever way you choose.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,051 times
Can anyone tell me about the Corralitos, Ca/ Mount Madonna area in East Santa Cruz county? We're thinking of buying a house there, now that they're becoming affordable again, but we've never lived in that area of California. What's the water situation? The pesticide situation? Other problems?
Thanks!

Old 10-19-2008, 02:04 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Mairey,

I recommend you start a new thread for this question. It is really a unique question and will get more response if you do. I realize this is your first post and so don't want to discourage you from posting really. It is just that normal forum etiquette to try and stay on topic with the original Q.

BTW your Q is a very interesting one which I would like to hear the answer to as well.

Thanks,

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose