Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 07:11 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times

Advertisements

Hi to all out west. I'm a 39 year old single male considering a move to the south bay region. I have always wanted to live in California, but never pulled the trigger due to the distance from my family in Georgia. This changed somewhat the past couple years when one of my brothers set up residence in the San Carlos area, and I have had stronger and stronger urges to join him out there. I'm interested in a more family/conservative area, and am thinking SJ would be a better fit for me than SF.

I am currently living in northern Michigan and have a solid medical career as a hospital based Cat Scan/Angiography technologist, however I am hoping to move solely into outpatient Cat Scan in the future. I earn between 50 and 60 K in a remote area up here, so I'm assuming that number would go up fairly signifigantly if I moved to the San Jose region, and yes, I am aware of the COL differences as well. I lived in Boston a few years back, which is comparable to the SF region in that category according to the research I've done.

Personally, I just haven't found my niche. Still haven't found Ms. Right, and can't seem to find an area that keeps me anchored for more than a couple years. I've lived in GA, MA, and MI during my professional career, and although I'm tired of moving, I just can't seem to quench my thirst for new places & faces seeing as how I'm still single. The area I live in now is comprised of mostly married people, and there isn't much of a dating scene at all. Yes, I do still want to get married and have at least one child eventually, but that's obviously not on my plate right now (it's not even in the oven).

I have a weight issue brought about by compulsive overeating also, and being snowed in 6 months out of the year has done nothing but accentuate that. I'm thinking being in a better climate and around more health conscious people will help me there, although I know the responsibility still lies with me. I am actually a very athletic person who has just been overcome with laziness the past few years.

Anyway, looking for random opinions on my situation, and for tales from those who have made the move west seeking similar things as I am. Does the bay area sound like a good fit for me? If I do choose SJ I will be making the move in about 8 to 9 months. Thanks to all who read and reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 01:39 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
Few considerations

SiliconValley is one of world's two most interesting places (along w/Manhattan) from a career perspective....lots of really smart people; great QOL (much superior QOL vs Manhattan)

Stanford (and its many alums) have amassed some of world's best healthcare in PA area, w/many affluent consumers willing to pay for latest/greatest advice and tech

But need to realize SiliconValley itself is suburban and great QOL for affluent families, but most affluent singles choose to live in SF and commute (an incredibly easy, fast ~40mi drive vs comparable commutes in NYC/Chic/LA)

SV has an "unusual" social dynamic, much like NYC (or LA) region....socially liberal, fiercely capitalist in region's most relevant places....lots of workaholics who aren't necessarily interested in marriage/family....career and the many recreational opportunities (esp chicks/cars/good grub) in CA make families less relevant to many

May want to also consider City of Chicago....more traditional/family-oriented than CA/NYC, but yet has a dynamic singles-oriented world in City, but great family-oriented suburbs....lower COL, but superb QOL for those who can withstand Chic weather/topography

Old 12-25-2008, 02:20 PM

108 posts, read 281,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
I'm thinking being in a better climate and around more health conscious people will help me there, although I know the responsibility still lies with me.

Does the bay area sound like a good fit for me? If I do choose SJ I will be making the move in about 8 to 9 months. Thanks to all who read and reply!
Yeah I think both climate and the general enthusiasm out here toward good health and exercise would help you.

Living in Chicago was hard for me to stay motivated to exercise when hibernation season hit.. all positive momentum lost. out here you feel like exercising all year because weather's good and you can keep your momentum rolling forward. plus more people are into it.

i agree with hsw's post too

Old 12-27-2008, 09:32 AM

486 posts, read 982,013 times
Others may have a different opinion but I don't think this is the area to find a mate. Everyone seems to be married here. I work in one city, live in another and go to church in another, everywhere I go everyone seems to be married.

I would agree that the climate and the fact that you pass many people walking, running or cycling does make you want to get out there and do something.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:10 PM

Interesting responses. Thanks, guys.

Chicago is not an option. If I decide to leave Michigan it will not be for another brutally cold climate. Plus, I don't know anyone there. My brothers family is in the Bay Area.

I also don't really consider myself "affluent", either. I calculated what I currently make with what it would translate to in SJ, and it was roughly 80K, which may be affluent where I live now, but couldn't possibly be in the Bay Area, could it? Aren't the rents in SF higher than in SJ anyway?

As for commuting long distances, I cut that out years ago while I was living in Atlanta. Now, I always live very close to work. It saves on traffic aggravation, gas, wear on my vehicle and also makes me a more dependable employee, particularly since there is call involved with my job.

As for the "everyone seems to be married" comment, I think that has more to do with being a certain age (I'm 39 and concur), than anything else. The older you get, the more people that you hang with or around will be married. Still, I would think I'd have a much better chance of hooking up in a town of 1,000,000 than I would in a town of 6,000, which is what I have now, don't you?

Also stop and consider that moving to SJ would represent a drastic change, both geographically and in terms of lifestyle for me, which would be what I was seeking if I made the move.

So, after hearing all that any additional opinions?

Old 12-28-2008, 03:55 PM

132 posts, read 592,838 times
Have you considered Phoenix?

Old 12-28-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtaya2 View Post
Have you considered Phoenix?

Not really. My brother being in the Bay Area is a major factor in my decision process. I don't want to be totally cut off from my family again.

There doesn't seem to be much activity in this forum. People must actually be outside doing stuff.......what a concept!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:58 AM

87 posts, read 390,582 times
I think you would do fine here. I personally lived in Southern Cal. (Orange County), Sacramento, and Bay Area. I was single when I first moved here looking for a more active livestyle. California is a very beautiful State and has a lot to offer. To be honest with you, I would prefer the Sacramento area. Generally speaking the people seem to be more friendly, there are lots of opportunities there, medically there is Sutter, UC Davis, and a few others (can't remember off the top of my head).

Bay Area of course offers Stanford (I worked there for several years), Camino medical group, Palo Alto medical group, and a few others. I would not suggest living in San Francisco unless you want to work there (UC San Francisco medical Center).

Depending on your interests, there are clubs, groups, churches, etc. that you could get involved in to meet others. There are single people everywhere, just find someone with similar interests that you can commit to...

All the best to you!

Old 01-05-2009, 11:14 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
We already have too many Wings fans.

P.S. I'm kidding.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
We already have too many Wings fans.

P.S. I'm kidding.
Ha ha...you again! Small world.....

My trip out there is set for the 2nd of May. I'm excited and dreading it at the same time. Excited because I know I'm going to love it out there, and dreading it because I know I'm going to love it and come back wanting to move there pronto!

I've been doing more research on what the average salary is for my profession (CT Tech) in San Jose and I've seen results ranging from 60K to 90K a year (I make just over 50K here in northern MI). I think I'd need at least 80K out there to maintain my standard of living. I don't mind living in a small apartment, but it would have to be a nice one.

I'm really worried about the cost of moving out there also. I got a $5,000 bonus when I moved up here, which basically took care of everything, but with the economy in the toilet companies are not doing that anymore. That could be a problem.

The next few months are going to be interesting!

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 01-05-2009 at 08:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose