Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:58 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-girl View Post

Answer: Wrong, DH's grandmother was born in Sunnyvale at the turn of the last century and was raised in the SV long before you ever showed up on the scene.

~Cali-girl
I like how I get attacked for being out of date, then the next post for my youth and inexperience. My point is that I am a person that grew up in the area. I think you, and the media, make a bigger deal out of issues like this than needed, or are relevant to the happiness and future success of school children. This attitude exacerbates the problem. It doesn't create understanding, it throws blame and creates divisions.
In my experiences, the kids follow the adults' attitudes. Kids only create divisions that were initiated by understandings of the social world which surrounds them.

Last edited by bluebeard; 04-07-2009 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 02:51 PM

253 posts, read 1,131,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
.... My point is that I am a person that grew up in the area. I think you, and the media, make a bigger deal out of issues like this than needed, or are relevant to the happiness and future success of school children.
Hi!

If you have a problem with the content of the article I linked, then the best thing would to comment on wsj.com's real estate blogsite or to write to the Wall Street Journal with your concerns.

Please take note that the article's author, Suein Hwang, is Asian.

White Flight in Silicon Valley As Asian Students Move In - WSJ.com

Please note that my mom was a Master Teacher with a Life Credential with the State of California, so its not like I'm any sort of a stranger to education in California.

If I am attacked, particularly regarding my children, sweetheart, please understand that I or any other mother will defend our children and you will get a response, perhaps a response that is a lot more than you bargained for.

If you read my post, I mentioned my children's situation in Irvine, simply because Irvine has similar demographics to Cupertino and the challenges facing both cities/areas are similar. That was the reason I mentioned this, not to be attacked and dragged into some flame war with you or anyone else.

If you "grew up in the area" then just put a year on your comments since what you experienced in the past may not be applicable to present.

In the future, just give your .02 cents without slamming another poster.

Respectfully stated,

~Cali-girl

Old 04-07-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:

If I am attacked, particularly regarding my children, sweetheart, please understand that I or any other mother will defend our children and you will get a response, perhaps a response that is a lot more than you bargained for.
I'm sorry if I came off harsh. I tried to lessen that with the first statement saying I'm sorry that happened to them.
However, telling someone to ignore your post is not about attacking your children. Everybody in this world has difficulties, and a mother can see her child's as the most difficult and pressing.
However, this can sometimes cause as much harm as good.
The OP was about comparing 3 different cities, not comparing Asian and non-Asian areas.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:55 PM

253 posts, read 1,131,228 times
Quote:
Everybody in this world has difficulties, and a mother can see her child's as the most difficult and pressing.
However, this can sometimes cause as much harm as good.
The OP was about comparing 3 different cities, not comparing Asian and non-Asian areas.
Thank you for your apology.

I really think there needs to be some sort of class or seminar to teach people on how to communicate to others over the 'net. I don't think most people realize how they are coming across to others using a one-dimensional medium.

Do you see your quote I referenced above? Whether you realize it or not, you're making more armchair observations that are completely inappropriate to the topic of this Thread.

As I've stated already, I have already sought psychotherapy for my son and we had a group session together with the Doctor (who was Indian, btw).
Thus, it is inappropriate for you to make observations specific to my situation since I have never sought a professional diagnosis from you. Please keep your observations about me or my kids to yourself. (Respectfully stated)

1. The OP asked for opinions re certain areas.
2. I gave mine - and, I would like to add, that I've received a number of very positive messages regarding the info I presented to OP for their consideration.
3. If you want to contest info given by a poster, please contact that person by PM instead of getting into an argument about who's been in the SV or CA longer or posting criticisms against another member regarding any other point that upsets you. You may want to revisit the Terms of Service.
4. "Just the facts ma'am." Remember that saying? Just answer the OP's questions without commenting on someone else's post. Give your viewpoint/experiences and leave it at that.

I am stating the above in the nicest possible way.

Thanks,
Cali-girl

Old 04-07-2009, 10:55 PM

26 posts, read 89,240 times
If your kids are "nerdy" or heavily into math and science, then they should be fine in the grind-academy that is Cupertino schools ca. 2009. If not, then they'll probably have a very tough time, and you're better off in Santa Clara. My $0.02, YMMV

Old 04-08-2009, 10:44 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Quote:
True, but all three of those areas have very large Indian, Asian and Hispanic populations (among others) so I think the notion of race has relevance when comparing the three cities

What's this whole argument about anyways? I don't have time to read the last few pages?

Old 04-08-2009, 09:58 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_thibaud View Post
If your kids are "nerdy" or heavily into math and science, then they should be fine in the grind-academy that is Cupertino schools ca. 2009. If not, then they'll probably have a very tough time, and you're better off in Santa Clara. My $0.02, YMMV
Kind of it, in a nutshell.

To not acknowledge this when answering questions about Cupertino and similar places to someone new to the area and its schools is to omit what could be a rather important aspect, especially to the kids who will be attending school there. Some kids might not be a good fit for this sort of atmosphere for a number of reasons, not necessarily nefarious, just personal preferences.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:29 AM

105 posts, read 373,797 times
I think you're being a little over-sensitive here. No reason to take it to this level over the comments he made. Also, he is correct in that it does not directly relate to the comparison of the 3 cities mentioned...

Quote:
*Ignores you.*

~Cali-girl

Old 04-09-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
I am stating the above in the nicest possible way.

Thanks,
Cali-girl
Let me just say, when you insinuate the assertion that Asians sent my kids to therapy, you are going to get a response. You don't get to play the victim here. Your expression of white oppression comes off as a little insulting to some.
This is not about the quality of the article. The article was not as condescending as your post, but thank you for pointing out that it was written by an Asian, as if an Asian can't also have the ability to blow a race-based issue out of proportion.
I didn't not get any more personal than you. Check the title of your first response to me. You started the "experience" argument. In fact, you started just about all of the personal arguments. You are the one that makes it personal and states a lot of personal anecdotes and POV. THat's actually all this is. There are no studies or statistics being offered by either of us here.
And to assert that I should write a private response to a publicly stated issue is also silly.
Regarding the nerdiness factor. I know of no stronger determinant of creating a successful school then to have a student culture where intelligence is prized rather than derided. I also hear stories of many people from other schools, especially females, that pretended to be dumber than they are. I believe this is a much larger barrier to improving school than overemphasis on math and science. Go into any occupation regarding math and science and notice Americans are being outcompeted by far.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:07 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Quote:
Regarding the nerdiness factor. I know of no stronger determinant of creating a successful school then to have a student culture where intelligence is prized rather than derided.
So, NERDY = INTELLIGENT ?
I beg to differ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose