Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 02:35 PM

6 posts, read 11,120 times

Advertisements

I'm a young mom of a wonderful (so far ) boy. I am my son's sole provider so it's not a problem to move. I am a highly educated, very independent, environmental professional. I love big cities, diverse cultures and people in general. I have traveled all over the U.S. and I truly love New York but that's obviously not where my career is taking me at this point. My son and I enjoyed vacationing in SF and Yosemite a few years ago but I know nothing about the south bay area. My #1 concern is my son; where should he go to 8th grade and high school? / where should I sign him up for soccer? (he has played since he was 5, but doesn't want anything too competitive.) / are there any after-school programs? #2: I would prefer to live as close to San Francisco as possible (maybe redwood city/palo alto), apartment price range up to $1500/mo (1 or 2 BR, 1 or 2 BA), reasonable commute time to work (in mountain view), home and work not too far from my son's school. #3: I hope to live in an area with balanced, ambitious, creative people and it would be ideal if some of them were mid-30's parents of kids my son's age, of course). Great music, exercise (running/road biking) opportunities and people are all I need. I enjoy the local music scene (indie-type music) and a night out w friends on occasion (I'm not into the club scene at all; just live music/ neighborhood bar, more like 'Cheers') so it would be nice to live in a place that had somewhat of a night life. #4 FYI: I will not be marrying or having any more children so I need to live in a city that's alive, with numerous things for teenagers (and this early-30's adult) to enjoy any time of the day. Thanks for answers and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 03:30 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Mountain View is actually going to be the best option you have. It has a popular downtown but is very family friendly. You might have to stretch your budget a bit if you want 2 bedrooms, but a one-bedroom would be easy to get in that price range. Best of luck! It sounds like you're in for an adventure.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:46 PM

Thanks so much sonarrat! I've found the best schools in that area for my son. Anyone else have any more suggestions/personal stories to share on the subject? Thanks!

Old 02-25-2009, 12:47 AM

166 posts, read 489,990 times
San Carlos would be a nice option also. It has many of the same draws as Mountain View, but is about 10 miles north (just north of RWC). My friends are raising their teens there and love it. Nice downtown area for socializing also. Agree though that Mountain View has most of what you're looking for already, it just puts you a little further south of SF, but no commute should make up for that.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
I am sure all the suggestions you have gotten will work for you. Do you have a job and are you prepared for the cost of living in California? I hope $1500 a month will find you what you are looking for, good schools and safe neighborhoods south of San Francisco can be pricey..

Good luck, sounds like you are doing a great job raising your son.

Nita

Old 02-26-2009, 01:43 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Just be aware that $1500 a month probably won't get you a 2BR apartment in this area (at least not one you'd want to live in...or maybe way on the outskirts far away from your job), although it should get you a decent 1BR.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
yep, $1500 will be hard and a 1 bedroom will be tough especially as your son gets older. He will have no place to bring his friends etc. I am leary about whether you are going to be able to pull this off, but good luck.

Nita

Old 03-09-2009, 04:25 PM

thanks for all of your input. i'm definitely going to look into san carlos as well. i visited mountain view a few weeks ago and it felt 'fabricated' (castro street). the food is fantastic out there! when something is authentic, you just can't go wrong. in response to nmnita: thanks for your kind words yes, my headquarters is moving there and i will get enough extra $ to cover the difference in expenses. i've been looking on craigslist and I am keeping a positive outlook and consistently thinking outside the box; it has worked wonders in my life and the life i've been able to provide for my son. actually, i just found out i'll probably be getting an additional pay raise (in addition to my already-additional raise) so everything is working itself out as it always does
more thoughts/suggestions are always welcome...
thanks so much!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:15 PM

166 posts, read 489,990 times
$1500/month rents can be found for 2br's, especially if you don't mind being a little further away from some of the downtown areas. don't know so much about whether in mtn view, but they are around in san carlos, rwcity and san mateo, and not necessarily in bad areas. what many consider 'bad' areas out there are good in comparison to many other cities.

we stayed temporarily in a large 2br townhouse in foster city a few months back in '05 that were nice and around $1500/mo i think. can't recall the name but the street in our complex was masthead lane. it was a great place for us to start, and the junior high there is excellent, but if you want a downtown there isn't one and after 8th your son would have to attend hs in san mateo or burlingame, which we found difficult after the girls perpetually missed the bus.

good luck with the move! sure you'll love the area, wherever ya end up out there.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:41 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Yes, Castro St. is a bit plastic but it's not the only thing to like in Mountain View. You'll understand if you get a bit more time to nose around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose