Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 27,492 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at a home we love in the east foothills. The home has great 'bones', a great view- but we are worried about what it would be live to raise kids there. We don't have kids now, but are planning on it, and
we are kinda yuppies.

Compared to other neighbourhoods where she might meet other moms pushing a stroller on a walk to the park, or going to the store- the east foothills seems to have less young couples, and with more car dependency- I get the feeling that my wife and kids would have a harder time meeting neighbours with kids, and it would be more driving to find a preschool we like etc.

Has anyone raised kids up there and how hard is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,052,085 times
I was raised in a similar neighborhood, overlooking Anderson Lake in Morgan Hill. It was 3 miles to the nearest services, and not even remotely walkable. I didn't really feel any more isolated than those who lived in the flatlands, but it took a lot more work on my parents' part to bus me around to where the other kids lived! One or two good friends did live close enough to walk to. Also, being close to a county park where mountain biking was allowed, I grew up feeling deeply in touch with nature and with a great respect for the ecosystem of the area, and got good exercise while I was at it as well.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:58 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,291,439 times
If your kids go to school with other kids, that's where they'll find a normal childhood. No need to necessarily live nearby.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:02 AM

32 posts, read 97,701 times
Are you talking about east foothills as in Evergreen area?

Old 02-26-2009, 01:59 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,052,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlymember View Post
Are you talking about east foothills as in Evergreen area?
Evergreen is flat to flattish, I live there.. if you're going over a hill, you've exited Evergreen already.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:17 PM

264 posts, read 829,283 times
East foothills (from what I gather you mean--East Valley in San Jose?) tends to have terrible schools overall. I'd be very careful to check reviews on the schools your children would be going to if you happened to buy that house. Some really nice looking houses are up in the hills there...but I question the schools.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:50 PM

32 posts, read 97,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Evergreen is flat to flattish, I live there.. if you're going over a hill, you've exited Evergreen already.
I live there also. Up Quimby road is a hill and I would consider that Evergreen. Also, up by Chaboya and EVC I would consider hilly and in Evergreen.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:31 PM

4 posts, read 27,492 times
Thanks for your replies everyone.

By the east foothills I meant up alum rock ave, past where mount hamilton road splits off.
The school is vista linda which is a terrible elementary school. I figured if we lived up there
and had school age kids- we would have to do private school, and that means even more
driving the kids around to schools further west, since I don't even see many options for
(non religious) private schools on the east side.

Where I grew up- there was a half dozen kids around my age within 100 yards. Everyone we saw when we have been in the east foothills seems like older couples who's kids are in university or have jobs. The area is great with wild turkeys, and deer and a million stars at night. I was just looking for feedback on the area and if anyone up there has kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose