Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 04:28 PM

132 posts, read 627,857 times

Advertisements

I was talking with some friends and we thought about renting a house in the Santa Cruz Mountains, specifically one on Skyline Blvd. The owner is a family friend of my friend and we got a tour and its beautiful. Huge yard, nice house, quiet and just sooooo beautiful.

And he's willing to give us a pretty low rate.

Yet, I wonder about the commute. I do go to Santa Clara University and have a car. I've driven in the Santa Cruz Mountains, up Black Mountain rd to Skyline Blvd in snow, sleet and rain and it's slow...but not impossible.

Do you think it's worth it? What are the downsides?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 10:49 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
I think it would be an awesome place to live. Those back roads can get a little crazy from what I have heard. I have driven the 17HWY during rush hour which is nuts in bad weather. Ppl drive way to fast for the conditions - like they are on crack cocaine or something. But as a student you can setup your own schedule and probably avoid a least some of the rush hour madness. So that might be ok.

Maybe someone with more SC Mountain dwelling experience will chime in.

Derek

Old 08-08-2009, 12:03 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
That shouldn't be a problem, Skyline Blvd. up to the summit and then 17 until it turns to 880, off at The Alameda to get to SCU. Assuming you're reasonably close to 17, it should be about 20 minutes with no traffic.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:28 PM

10 posts, read 31,839 times
I agree with MtnSurfer. 17 can be a terrible drive at times. Other than that, you should be fine commuting. Enjoy living in the awesome SC Mountains!

Old 08-08-2009, 02:09 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,970 times
I don't make this commute but my boss does. He does what sonarrat described except he gets off one exit earlier on 880 (Bascom/Washington exit). He says normally the commute is smooth sailing, unless there is an accident on 17, in which case he might as well turn around and go home because there is no other way off the mountain except taking Hwy 9 instead, a major detour. [See what this looks like for yourself - try using Google Maps or Mapquest to plot the route and click the "avoid highways" button. Yikes!]

I agree, it sounds like a fantastic place to live, one which I have often considered myself. Let us know how it goes!

Old 08-09-2009, 01:53 AM

132 posts, read 627,857 times
I always take the 17 to Black Mountain Road (I think) and then up from there to skyline blvd. The house is pretty high up.... like 3000 feet or so.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:47 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Black Road actually. That's not that far out of town, and it's close to the alternate route of Hwy 9.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:06 AM

170 posts, read 463,097 times
I was in an accident coming down black rd. when I was in college--I was the passenger---and my advice is if you don't drive in a hurry you'll do find in any road condition. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:56 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTeen View Post
I was talking with some friends and we thought about renting a house in the Santa Cruz Mountains, specifically one on Skyline Blvd. The owner is a family friend of my friend and we got a tour and its beautiful. Huge yard, nice house, quiet and just sooooo beautiful.

And he's willing to give us a pretty low rate.

Yet, I wonder about the commute. I do go to Santa Clara University and have a car. I've driven in the Santa Cruz Mountains, up Black Mountain rd to Skyline Blvd in snow, sleet and rain and it's slow...but not impossible.

Do you think it's worth it? What are the downsides?
Personally, I wouldn't do it. Driving back & forth several times a week is not really safe, IMO. Not to mention, you're more vulnerable to gas price increases. And I think maybe some people are exaggerating when they say it's only 20 minutes. That sounds like under ideal conditions, but how often does that happen?

I admit I live within walking distance of my job and I just don't get the commuting thing. The shortest commute possible is best, imo.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:13 AM

39 posts, read 132,295 times
i'm definitely an advocate for the "rent a house with friends" thing at least once b/c it's fun.

a few things to think about:
1. have you looked at houses to rent with your friends in a closer radius? it may turn out to be cheaper or along the lines of what you would be paying in the santa cruz house considering the money you'd save on gas. don't jump at the first opportunity!
2. do you really want to commute every day through all of that traffic just for a house with a yard? personally, i really hate traffic so it would be tough on me. it would wear thin really quick and i'd be cool with visiting the house at my leisure. however, there are a few people at my work that commute from 40 mins. to a buck thirty out so it can't be that bad.

side note - i'd want to live closer to santa clara u anyway b/c that's where the cutest girls are haheheahea... unless you're a girl that digs guys... then you can edit that last part out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose