Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 04:55 PM

334 posts, read 1,067,222 times

Advertisements

Hi There. I am a female 30 something transplant to the bay area from westside LA. I didnt have to date in SF when I moved there because I was already married, but we did go out a lot and I observed the whole "singles scene".

All I can say is that I'm glad I met my husband in LA. Guys in LA are more masculine acting and looking then guys in San Francisco. I am not sure what your type is, but SF guys tend to be more effeminate, metrosexual types, skinny hipsters, or grungy looking pothead hippies. It just depends on what neighborhood you live in. I believe they are like this due to the extremely liberal nature of the city, which is more of a "feminine energy" that rubs off on the guys here...even if they didn't start out that way.

I would imagine San Jose area would be a better place to meet men because there are many technical jobs down there, and it is the center of Silicon Valley. Women don't go into these type of fields as often so I am assuming there are more men to select from. I am not sure if they are more "masculine looking and acting" than SF because I havent spent enough time down there to really check it out, but I would probably pick SJ over SF for a larger selection if I were single.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 02:40 PM

73 posts, read 165,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
Hi There. I am a female 30 something transplant to the bay area from westside LA. I didnt have to date in SF when I moved there because I was already married, but we did go out a lot and I observed the whole "singles scene".

All I can say is that I'm glad I met my husband in LA. Guys in LA are more masculine acting and looking then guys in San Francisco. I am not sure what your type is, but SF guys tend to be more effeminate, metrosexual types, skinny hipsters, or grungy looking pothead hippies. It just depends on what neighborhood you live in. I believe they are like this due to the extremely liberal nature of the city, which is more of a "feminine energy" that rubs off on the guys here...even if they didn't start out that way.

I would imagine San Jose area would be a better place to meet men because there are many technical jobs down there, and it is the center of Silicon Valley. Women don't go into these type of fields as often so I am assuming there are more men to select from. I am not sure if they are more "masculine looking and acting" than SF because I havent spent enough time down there to really check it out, but I would probably pick SJ over SF for a larger selection if I were single.

hey there, thanks for your advice. I actually lived in LA as well - also on the westside - for 4 years. it was really fun and i enjoyed it, the men seemed to be on ball when it came to planning dates etc..is that what you mean when you say 'more masculine'? I did feel though that a very large percentage were trying to break into show biz - whether acting, directing or screenwriting. They were highly educated and successful, yet willing to give it all up for their 'big break' into Hollywood. I think that pipedream lifestyle fostered an attitude of commitment phobia and sort of looking around at the next best thing. it seemed like ppl didn't take life all that serisouly when it came to dating. All of my girlfriends I knew there were single. One actually moved up to the bay - not SF proper - and met a guy within 5 months, whom she ended up marrying. She thought the guys up there were way more down-to-earth and serious about life than in LA. How did you meet your husband? :-)

i actually would consider moving back to LA, but the air quality is an issue for me. I figure I already shaved a couple years off my life from my stint there, i don't need to shave off anymore. lol. It's the worst in the nation. Even in Santa Monica, i still never felt like I could breathe "fresh air".

Last edited by dancingdoll1; 09-23-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 09-23-2009, 02:41 PM

73 posts, read 165,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiezbug View Post
I was also called insecure by him for asking about the dating scene This guy sounds so bitter.
Moxie, which city did you ask about and what did you find out about it (from ppl other than this guy. lol)?

Old 12-05-2009, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,378 times
i agree with the SF men. they are the WORST and the worst looking. the straight men are geeks always looking for sex (and w/ other men). you can have 'secrets' there since it's so liberal. the WORST guys are there....don't move there if you want to meet quality men. i've lived here for 13 years and am WELL above average in all categories, and i've had 2 boyfriends who couldn't commit. players and boys....
i did live in LA the last year i lived in California, and i met more men (even in traffic jams) in 5 months than i did in 10 years in SF.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:17 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by causetocomment View Post
i agree with the SF men. they are the WORST and the worst looking. the straight men are geeks always looking for sex (and w/ other men). you can have 'secrets' there since it's so liberal. the WORST guys are there....don't move there if you want to meet quality men. i've lived here for 13 years and am WELL above average in all categories, and i've had 2 boyfriends who couldn't commit. players and boys....
i did live in LA the last year i lived in California, and i met more men (even in traffic jams) in 5 months than i did in 10 years in SF.
I've never experienced problems (prior to being married).

Usually when someone rants about all the men being secretly gay, players, boys,geeks, ugly--it's usually that you're ATTRACTING that sort of person.

Free advice from someone that grew up in SF (and met husband in SF after plenty of relationships in SF) Change the attitude, quit blaming bad luck or the entire male population of the Bay Area, and you might find a man with more desirable qualities. Your only two posts (ranting about the same thing) speak volumes.

There are thousands upon thousands of eligible, and smart men here (good looking is personal)- it's ridiculous that you (or anyone else) would paint them all with the same brush (especially since they all come from out of state usually). It takes time to find a suitable partner..you just need to know what you're looking for and not just take whatever comes along out of desperation or because they "chose" you.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:14 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Man Jose is a great place for a woman. Tons of young IT guys and such looking for girlfriends and wives with good solid jobs, willing to one up each other. Sj is not a fun place to be a single guy, sort of the way I have heard woman complain about SF not being a fun place to meet single men The woman and men just need to head to a half way point like Palo Alto or something LoL...

Old 12-08-2009, 12:09 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by causetocomment View Post
What, working the street corner? (Really, your cred is downright scary after you publicly admit to trolling for dates on freeways.)

Lauding the LA dating scene while saying every guy in SF is gay is...to be quite unaware that there are more gay guys in LA. FYO

Old 12-10-2009, 02:47 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
FWIW, I think that men overall, particularly those in the coastal urban areas of the US, have all become collectively more "metrosexual" over the past 10 or 20 years. What someone experienced in West LA a few years ago may not be what they'd experience there now. When I was single and dating (in both West LA, other parts of the Southland, and later, up here) I was as masculine as I needed to be without being obnoxious, was on the ball in terms of organizing dates, etc, and was respectful. And all that other good stuff.

But my, oh my, am I ever glad I am not in that any more. Things have really changed. So much more political correctness. So many more value judgments regarding what is and is not "MCP" behavior. It's like the world has gone completely mad.

/rant

Old 12-10-2009, 02:50 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Man Jose is a great place for a woman. Tons of young IT guys and such looking for girlfriends and wives with good solid jobs, willing to one up each other. Sj is not a fun place to be a single guy, sort of the way I have heard woman complain about SF not being a fun place to meet single men The woman and men just need to head to a half way point like Palo Alto or something LoL...
LOL! So true. It's funny having oppositely lopsided ratios in different parts of the same metro area.

I must say, being single back in the day in SF proper was pretty good for me personally.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:02 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,679 times
Yes they are... but just 'low' quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose