Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 02:47 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,353 times

Advertisements

I have an old '93 FXLR HD. Too make a long story short, almost packed it in twice in one month about 6 years ago, parked the bike and let it sit. I should not have done that but I did.

Last year my friends talked me into trying to fix it up... it needed a lot of work. So, we tried to get the bike up and running again. My friend did it, replaced the carb as well as a bunch of other stuff and got it running, even though it was a little rough.

Brought it home, and in no time, it started back firing and the exhaust was black. I changed the plugs, that helped but I guess the fuel mix isn't right because the back firing started again and the plugs got fouled.

The local San Jose HD dealer wouldn't work on it due to its age and referred me to another guy. Took it to him... did a fuel air mix analysis and who knows what else. Took it him and son of a gun, started to backfire again and the plugs got fouled.

Before I try the guy I went to before... does anyone have a recommendation for a mechanic here in SJ, Campbell, Santa Clara, etc. that may be able to get me over this last hurdle?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 01:01 AM

30 posts, read 51,253 times
Default Harley

I don't mean to be offensive-but get rid of the contraption and get a motorcyle that works. I have a Suzuki Vstrom 1000 and would not take a Harley unless is was free. Maybe for yard art or something. I have had HD's with no sucess

Old 09-05-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieh99 View Post
I don't mean to be offensive-but get rid of the contraption and get a motorcyle that works. I have a Suzuki Vstrom 1000 and would not take a Harley unless is was free. Maybe for yard art or something. I have had HD's with no sucess
Out of curiosity... what kind of problems did you have with HD?

Old 09-09-2009, 07:09 PM

222 posts, read 862,524 times
I used to live in San Jose until we relocated to Boise.
Did a little digging, and this shop has great reviews:

Paulie's Shop
3631 Slater Ct
San Jose, CA 95132
(925) 788-6333

Many of the authorized Harley-Davidson dealerships
won't work on motorcycles older than 15-years.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:42 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,981 times
From the description, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume your bud replaced the factory carb with one of those "Screaming Eagle" nightmares. If it is a screeching chicken, you may have found your problem. Through much trial and error (or a couple hours of dyno time) you can get it jetted right and it'll run decently. You might want to check the manfold O-rings too . Lot's of perfectly good carbs get scrapped because of dried out manifold seals.

I wish I could recommend someone in your area but few shops want to work on older bikes. There used to be a couple of good shops in Hayward but they went away.

Oh yeah, welcome back to the road. They always come back.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbler View Post
I used to live in San Jose until we relocated to Boise.
Did a little digging, and this shop has great reviews:

Paulie's Shop
3631 Slater Ct
San Jose, CA 95132
(925) 788-6333

Many of the authorized Harley-Davidson dealerships
won't work on motorcycles older than 15-years.
Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated. I'll definitely look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
From the description, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume your bud replaced the factory carb with one of those "Screaming Eagle" nightmares. If it is a screeching chicken, you may have found your problem. Through much trial and error (or a couple hours of dyno time) you can get it jetted right and it'll run decently. You might want to check the manfold O-rings too . Lot's of perfectly good carbs get scrapped because of dried out manifold seals.

I wish I could recommend someone in your area but few shops want to work on older bikes. There used to be a couple of good shops in Hayward but they went away.

Oh yeah, welcome back to the road. They always come back.
Indeed, that's what was put it in. Even my friend is suspecting jets but he's not a professional. Still good... but I need to go elsewhere for service.

I really appreciate the feedback from you both. I'll take the history and give it to Paulie's to see what he can do.

I'll let you know what happens...

Old 09-10-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:

FWIW, even up in Boise we have few shops working on older bikes. An excellent indie HD shop here which has been in business since 1972 only works on 1995+ Big Twins and 1999+ Sportsters.

Used to live in Hayward on Sunset Blvd just a few blocks from Arlen Ness when he was working out of his garage back in the '70s. Borrowed some tools from him once while working on my bike in his driveway when he had to split for a few hours. Was acquainted with him, not buddy-buddy.

Spent more of my time at Oakland Custom Motorcycles on Foothill Blvd in Oakland except it was called something else back then. It's right next to a bar with the machine shop across the street. They repaired my battery box one cold, winter night.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:03 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbler View Post
FWIW, even up in Boise we have few shops working on older bikes. An excellent indie HD shop here which has been in business since 1972 only works on 1995+ Big Twins and 1999+ Sportsters.

Used to live in Hayward on Sunset Blvd just a few blocks from Arlen Ness when he was working out of his garage back in the '70s. Borrowed some tools from him once while working on my bike in his driveway when he had to split for a few hours. Was acquainted with him, not buddy-buddy.

Spent more of my time at Oakland Custom Motorcycles on Foothill Blvd in Oakland except it was called something else back then. It's right next to a bar with the machine shop across the street. They repaired my battery box one cold, winter night.

From the looks of things it seems Arlen Ness would be hard pressed to admit that HD even existed before the TC-88.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
From the looks of things it seems Arlen Ness would be hard pressed to admit that HD even existed before the TC-88.
Back then the most popular HDs on the main drag in the East Bay
were Ironheads with struts, narrow springers, and trick paint. If
memory serves, they were called diggers.

Didn't care much for them. Preferred the Frisco style choppers at
least until the '77 FXS debuted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose