Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:29 AM

3 posts, read 6,682 times

Advertisements

Hi I work online in the brokering industry mainly brokering commodities and bank instruments. I normally make around 500K to 1Mill per year. I would like to know if a person can survive off of a salary like this living in Silicon Valley and San Jose area especially in the Santana Row and Valley Fair lifestyle? Take into consideration that I will be buying a million dollar home cash. Is it possible to survive in these cities on the income I just stated above with no mortgagae or any debts whatsoever. I only ask because I have heard and seen on this board many times that it is a very expensive place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 03:30 AM

674 posts, read 1,619,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics83 View Post
Hi I work online in the brokering industry mainly brokering commodities and bank instruments. I normally make around 500K to 1Mill per year. I would like to know if a person can survive off of a salary like this living in Silicon Valley and San Jose area especially in the Santana Row and Valley Fair lifestyle? Take into consideration that I will be buying a million dollar home cash. Is it possible to survive in these cities on the income I just stated above with no mortgagae or any debts whatsoever. I only ask because I have heard and seen on this board many times that it is a very expensive place to live.

Barely. If you live sparingly you may just get by...

Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,659 times
You will be living incredibly comfortably with that amount of income. A typical family of four with a combined income of $150k/year can't own a house and still live comfortably anymore in the Bay Area. If anybody says they can then they either live in a really dumpy area and their standards are low or they've owned their house for 15+ years. My wife and I have a combined income of $150k and live comfortably, but only because we rent a house and we're very frugal and don't splurge much. Unless you have a total lack of financial self-control and live a totally hedonistic, self-indulgent lifestyle, it would be absurd if you couldn't live very well on the income you've stated!

Old 09-01-2009, 10:32 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,970 times
One of the better pieces of satire I've seen on these boards.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:37 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
Aw, c'mon... you're just trying to brag aren't you? Good for you for making that much, really, but come on... Do you really think it will cost over a million $$ a year to live a decent life in SV? Especially with no mortgage. All you need to do is hop over to the CD stats page to see that the median income and housing levels are much much lower than where you'll be at.

Of course, you could always find a way to blow that amount each year, you know... "a fool and his money..."

Old 09-01-2009, 10:38 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
I hope you like ramen...

Old 09-01-2009, 10:44 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
One of the better pieces of satire I've seen on these boards.
Oh. Yeah. I think you must be right. Otherwise that OP was out of his gourd.

"Hi,

I am a professional athlete, I can't tell you who I am but I own the all-time home run record and I am currently out of work. Up until a few years ago I was making around $20mm a year. I spent a lot of it on, uh, personal matters, but I still have about $150mm in the bank and get several mm more per year from royalties and investments and such. I currently live in a Beverly Hills mansion, but I just can't take the HEAT down here anymore (in more ways than one). Do you think I will be able to afford an apartment perched high atop the SC Mtns. and still be able to buy some sort of large 4x4 utility vehicle with gold-plated rims in order to get down into town and hang wit' my homies?

Thanks,
-BB"

Old 09-01-2009, 10:44 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,970 times
It's great to see that not all wealthy people have given up trying to better themselves:

"Can some one tell me if San Jose City College is a good community college? Someone told me that it is one of the best in the United Staes but I need feedback from others as well. Please tell me what courses they are exceptional in. I plan on attending there and transferring to San Jose State after the two years." - tropics83, 8/17/2009

I say good for you! But good luck finding a house for under $1 million anywhere near SJCC. Your best bet might be to commute from Gilroy or Salinas.

Sorry, was channeling 2006 for a minute there...

Old 09-01-2009, 11:03 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
You'll have to step up your game to be a real baller.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

This is all you get for a million in the Santana Row area:

You can do pretty well downtown though:

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 06:56 AM..

Old 09-01-2009, 12:09 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I hope you like ramen...
And peanut butter. Maybe even dog food. Times are tough . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose