Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2009, 09:02 PM
 
49 posts, read 116,866 times
Reputation: 30

Advertisements

Hi. I currently live in LA. I am not happy. I want to move to the Santa Cruz, area and go to school. First, I need affordable housing; thus, I am looking for a single/studio for approx. $900.00. Next, I am currently attending Santa Monica College and need to transfer to a good, no great, community college in order to get into Berkley or UC Santa Cruz.
Lastly, I am into the healing arts, working on my screenplay and shopping.
Note, I know the screenplay, bit, sounds cheezy but the subject matter is esoteric in nature.
Any help, advice or counsel would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2009, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, WA
8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Reputation: 9463
Check out Cabrillo College in Aptos. Its a community college so price should be right. Then check craiglist for rentals/roomates of course. Many college students live in SC so you request is a fairly common thing. I don't know about the rest, maybe others will chime in.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2009, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
9,197 posts, read 16,838,385 times
Reputation: 6373
Foothill CC, De Anza CC, and West Valley CC are all quality schools in very nice places. Gotta jump on getting your classes early though, since many people are opting for community college over universities right now, or for getting degrees related to getting specific jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 03:07 PM
 
954 posts, read 1,280,554 times
Reputation: 384
Cabrillo College is a good school, it has a guaranteed transfer arrangement with UCSC (and SJ State, I think) provided you take the proper courses and maintain a sufficiently high GPA. All other community colleges are over the hill, and a bit of a drive; Cabrillo is a pretty good college, so there wouldn't be much point in driving to a different school. Have you been to the UCSC campus? While it is beautiful, it's cut off from the city, and also very spread out, walking between classes could wind up taking 30 minutes if you don't plan wisely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 05:21 PM
 
49 posts, read 116,866 times
Reputation: 30
Smile Thanks for responding

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Cabrillo College is a good school, it has a guaranteed transfer arrangement with UCSC (and SJ State, I think) provided you take the proper courses and maintain a sufficiently high GPA. All other community colleges are over the hill, and a bit of a drive; Cabrillo is a pretty good college, so there wouldn't be much point in driving to a different school. Have you been to the UCSC campus? While it is beautiful, it's cut off from the city, and also very spread out, walking between classes could wind up taking 30 minutes if you don't plan wisely.
No, I have not checked out the campus, in person. However, living in Los Angeles has left me feeling frantic and fryed. A good hike between classes might be just what I need. By the way, where should I look for a place? Also, I love, love, love, shopping at a clothing store by the name of Cross Roads Trading Company. I noticed there is a Santa Cruz location on Pacific Ave. Is it delusional to think I could live close to town?
Thanks for reading this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 02:51 PM
 
405 posts, read 1,345,511 times
Reputation: 157
I don't know the area very well, especially community colleges, but UCSC is basically isolated in the mountains... if that's your thing. As Cassidy wrote, the campus is spread out and has a 'woodsy' feel to it. Not the beach feel you might expect. As for living, I LOVE Capitola. It's just south of Santa Cruz and seems to have a great balance of beach, small town and urban availability. Maybe give that a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,901 posts, read 12,723,851 times
Reputation: 1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy2 View Post
No, I have not checked out the campus, in person. However, living in Los Angeles has left me feeling frantic and fryed. A good hike between classes might be just what I need. By the way, where should I look for a place? Also, I love, love, love, shopping at a clothing store by the name of Cross Roads Trading Company. I noticed there is a Santa Cruz location on Pacific Ave. Is it delusional to think I could live close to town?
Thanks for reading this post.
Check out "rooms and shares" as well.
craigslist: santa cruz classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Actually, i've seen some unusually inexpensive (relatively speaking!!!) rentals lately.
Be open to Aptos, Soquel, Capitola, and Santa Cruz.
If you don't have a car, make sure you find a place within walking distance (or biking distance ... bikes go easily on the bus bike rack) to a bus line.
You don't want to be up in places like Felton, Brookdale, Boulder Creek or even Scotts Valley ... too much of a commute.
It's a good time to look as kids are back in school and people, in general, are more settled and and looking toward the winter months.
It's not delusional to think you can live close to downtown.
And, if you go to Cabrillo, you won't have problems with access even if you don't have a car.
It's a straight shot from the downtown area to Aptos (Cabrillo) and the bust system here is excellent and runs regularly by the college.
And same if you want to live in Aptos and be closer to Cabrillo.
Getting downtown to shop and hang out is a breeze by bike, car or bus.
Traffic is a bit heavy during rush hour but not brutal on the "side streets" ... it just takes a little more time and once you know who to get where you're going without getting on HWY 1, no problem.
Good luck.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 10-21-2009 at 10:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:07 PM
 
49 posts, read 116,866 times
Reputation: 30
Default Thanks for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Check out "rooms and shares" as well.
craigslist: santa cruz classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Actually, i've seen some unusually inexpensive (relatively speaking!!!) rentals lately.
Be open to Aptos, Soquel, Capitola, and Santa Cruz.
If you don't have a car, make sure you find a place within walking distance (or biking distance ... bikes go easily on the bus bike rack) to a bus line.
You don't want to be up in places like Felton, Brookdale, Boulder Creek or even Scotts Valley ... too much of a commute.
It's a good time to look as kids are back in school and people, in general, are more settled and and looking toward the winter months.
It's not delusional to think you can live close to downtown.
And, if you go to Cabrillo, you won't have problems with access even if you don't have a car.
It's a straight shot from the downtown area to Aptos (Cabrillo) and the bust system here is excellent and runs regularly by the college.
And same if you want to live in Aptos and be closer to Cabrillo.
Getting downtown to shop and hang out is a breeze by bike, car or bus.
Traffic is a bit heavy during rush hour but not brutal on the "side streets" ... it just takes a little more time and once you know who to get where you're going without getting on HWY 1, no problem.
Good luck.

Thanks for the information. Next, would you, or anyone know of an inexpensive hotel/motel in Santa Cruz to stay over Thanksgiving so I can check things out. I know there is a Motel 6 in Watsonville for fifty bucks a night but I'de rather stay in Santa Cruz. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,901 posts, read 12,723,851 times
Reputation: 1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy2 View Post
Thanks for the information. Next, would you, or anyone know of an inexpensive hotel/motel in Santa Cruz to stay over Thanksgiving so I can check things out. I know there is a Motel 6 in Watsonville for fifty bucks a night but I'de rather stay in Santa Cruz. Thanks.
The Capitola Inn is a place i've stayed often .... ummmm ... in between housing. (don't ask )
I'm not sure what their rates are now.
New management took it over during the summer and i haven't needed them ... yet.
It's in Capitola ... a good walk to down town Capitola (fun to walk around especially off season) but more importantly, it's just a short walk to the main bus route which will take you to downtown Santa Cruz in a fairly short time and up to Cabrillo College if you're interested in looking at that area.
Check out this map to get an idea of how Soquel Drive easily connects the Santa Cruz proper, Capitola, Soquel and Aptos and on into Watsonville.
You'll see, when you're here, how if you live anywhere within walking or biking distance from the bus route on Soquel Drive, you'll be in good shape.
Oh, but you probably have a car.
Anyway .. still good to know.
Click on Map of Soquel Drive, Santa Cruz, CA.
The link is messed up.
Map of Soquel Drive
If you really wanna stay in downtown Santa Cruz, i can't help you with a hotel/motel recommendation and i'd prefer (like i'm your mother ) for you to stay in Capitola so you can get a wider view of the area and not feel that you need to be relegated to Santa Cruz proper ... especially if you're going to attend Cabrillo.
I love S.C. but it can be a bit frenetic.
Staying at the Capitola Inn will probably provide you with a better sleep than many places downtown.
And, no, you do not want to stay at a Motel 6 in Watsonville.
If you do stay at the Capitola Inn, ask for a room in the building where the office is and ask for a room on the 2nd floor.
Better rooms and more quiet.
And see if you can bargain with them.
I know that all the motels and hotels are struggling and i imagine they are very empty and could use some $$$.
The Capitola Inn
Sorry i can't help you with a downtown recommendation.
But this is a good place to stay.
And sorry for the "long winded" post.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 10-26-2009 at 09:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Status: " Charleston South Carolina" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: home...finally, home .
8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
Reputation: 20102
We stayed in the very downscale but wonderfully located Sunny Cove Motel on East Cliff Drive . Our room had two bedrooms (two Tvs) and a small kitchen with a microwave. The manager Jane is a hoot & there is a secluded beach steps away.
__________________
******************


People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:58 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top