Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 11:05 AM

370 posts, read 863,173 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get my mom to move out here from Texas and we are looking at some areas in the East Bay and South Bay.

We tried to narrow it down to somewhere she could get a condo/townhome for $300k or less, be in a relatively safe area, and be within 1 hour of San Francisco as we live there and want to be able to visit her quickly in case of emergency.

The three main areas are below, does anyone have general comments/feedback on those areas? My mom is Asian, so she does not mind heavily Asian areas, as long as they are nice enough. School district does not matter as much as she is retired; she is not interested in retirement communities like Rossmoor.

1 San Ramon/dublin/Castro Valley
2. Fremont/Milpitas/Hayward
3. Sunnyvale/Santa Clara/San Jose

We are realistic about price and area but wanted to know general differences and places to avoid. Any help would be appreciated and feel free to suggest areas which you may think are a better fit.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 11:15 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
1-bedroom for $300K means you have a fairly wide selection of areas. There are parts of Daly City where you could buy a house with that money, and you can't get much closer to San Francisco than that.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:32 AM

i thought she could get a nicer place if we looked East or South of SF. For example, Daly City has only 21 listings on Redfin for under $300K while Fremont has 150+.

Since my mom is from Texas, i thought the culture shock would be easier in a sunnier area, farther away from SF. I will look at Daly City again but would love to hear about the other areas listed.

thx

Old 09-29-2009, 11:57 AM

I can understand not wanting to settle for the quality of real estate you get in Daly City, but the convenience factor can be hard to ignore.

As far as the East Bay goes, anything along the 680 corridor is going to be nice, the 880 corridor not so much until you get into San Jose. Milpitas and Fremont have strong Asian populations and are quite safe. Pleasanton would be more convenient to SF and has a more middle-America feel to it. Coming from Texas, Pleasanton would probably feel fairly familiar.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:17 PM

thanks..do you know of any better sources of info besides Redfin?

Any areas of Daly City that we should avoid?

Old 09-29-2009, 03:52 PM

The part of Daly City close to the Cow Palace is pretty lousy.

Redfin is fine, Movoto is fine, any MLS-based service will be pretty much the same. I like Movoto because it lists the schools nearby the home; even if a stellar school district is not important, a very poor one is usually a sign of trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose