Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:54 PM

6 posts, read 101,309 times

Advertisements

My daughter is going to be taking her driving test in Gilroy at the end of the month, has anyone recently taken the test there and know roughly where they take you. I was wondering if they take you through the outlets or other places like that since that's always a busy area. I was going to be taking her down there the day before (we live in San Mateo county near Daly City) and practice driving the streets there that night and then again in the morning before her test which is at about 9:30. Any help would be greatly appreciated since she is one of those people that get very nervous when she takes tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 10:07 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
If they sense you are familiar they will redirect you. Just practice full stops, parallel parking, etc,,

Old 10-11-2009, 10:18 PM

Well since she's not familiar with it that shouldn't be a problem. I give her a basis on how to judge that you're behind the crosswalk when you stop (they fail you for that in San Mateo) so we will definintely practice that and her parallel parking (as long as there are no cars that she has to park between she'll be fine).

Old 10-11-2009, 11:48 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
For parallel parking, tell her to pull in front of the space and back in.. so, so much easier.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:07 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,010,151 times
With all the foreign tourists walking around the outlet store area, I doubt they'd use that area for a driving test. Does google answer that question?

Old 10-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
For parallel parking, tell her to pull in front of the space and back in.. so, so much easier.
All her friends that have taken their driving tests have said that they don't actually have you parallel park between cars but just pull up to the curb and then back up about 30 ft.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:08 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,294 times
I hope your daughter passed her test. Parallel parking is not as tough as many make it out to be. I just follow the instructions my Driver's Traning teacher gave us back in 1973. We had to train in a 1972 Plymouth Fury 4-door sedan. The technique still works today. (It's too bad they took Driver's Education and Driver's Training out of the Public Schools. It was great).

1. First, turn on your right turn signal so people behind you will have some idea of what you are about to to. Don't be one of those idiots that doesn't know what a turn signal of for or how or when to use it. It will only **** people off, and that will make an inexperienced driver more nervous and distracted. They don't need the extra pressure.

2. Determine if the space you want is large enough for your car. Pull up near the car in front of the space you want to park in, with your front bumper nearly parallel to, or even with the rear bumper of the car you want to park behind.

2. Look over as the empty space to see if your car will fit. You need to make sure that the rear of your car is not "overlapping" or even with the front bumper of the car behind the space you want to park in. You will need about 12" - 18" more space than the length of your car. You will be able to eyeball this distance with experience.

3. If the space is big enough, pull forward (remember, you're still in the traffic lane next to the parked cars) so that your front bumper is even with the front bumper of the car you want to park behind. You should be next to that car, about 12" - 16" away.

4. When it is safe, slowly begin to back up.

5. When the trailing edge (the edge toward the rear of your car) of your passenger door is almost even with the rear rear side window of the car you're parking behind, cut your wheel hard to the right while continuing to slowly roll backward. This will point the rear of your car into the space and toward the curb. (The point at which you begin to turn your wheels will differ depending on the lentht of your car and the length of the car you are parking behind. This is not an exact science).

6. Continue to roll back until your car is at approximately a 45 degree angle to the curb. At this point the rear of your car should be well into the parking space. Now it's time to tuck in the front of your car.

7. Once your car is 45 degrees to the curb, turn your steering wheel back to the left until your front tires are straight while continuing to roll backwards. Your car should now be rolling back in a straight line.

8. Check your spacing with the car you are parking behind...make sure you're not going to scrape it with your fender or bumper as you roll back.

9. Once the middle of your right front fender is even with the rear bumper of the care your are parking behind, turn your wheel to the left. The front of your car will begin to move toward the car you are parking behind. This will begin to bring the front of your car into the parking space. Check your distance to the car behind you, and be sure to check your distance to the car in front of you. You don't want to scrape your fender against the side or rear bumper of that car.

10. Once you're in the space you can make whatever adjustments need to be made. Be sure to leave enough space for you to get out and for the cars behind and in front you to get out as well. People sometimes do nasty things to your car if park on top of them.

It's not as complicated as it sounds, it just takes practice. I learned to drive in a 1966 Oldsmobile 98 4-door sedan (AKA The Battleship). Dad would not let us have the keys until we could parallel park the Olds. Now I can parallel park anything!

Old 10-27-2009, 09:49 PM

Well she takes her test on Thursday and now all they have you do for parallel parking is just pull up to a curb (usually there is no one there) and then back up for about 30 feet in a straight line. So it's not like it was when I took my test back in 1980. She doesn't parallel park anywhere anyways because most parking spaces are diaganol or like in small shopping centers. The only place that she would actually have to parallel park would be in front of a house and I know she's gonna only want to park in the driveway when she gets her car so she can avoid it at all costs. LOL And then of course at places there's always valet. LOL

Old 11-03-2009, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 34,195 times
How hard is it to pass? I failed twice in Redwod City b/c of all of the traffic. Is there a lot of traffic there?

Old 11-03-2009, 11:59 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixthus View Post
How hard is it to pass? I failed twice in Redwod City b/c of all of the traffic. Is there a lot of traffic there?
If you have trouble driving in traffic, I don't want to see you on the road.. I almost rear-ended someone yesterday who decided to STOP before merging onto 237.. he had a phone in his hand of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose