U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 11:16 AM

109 posts, read 177,074 times

Advertisements

Hi, me and my wife are moving to San Jose to go to school at San Jose State. We would like to live in the better part of the city but we are wholly unfamiliar with San Jose.

Any suggestions on what area would be better if we like to live in nice, clean, trashless environments? The apartments we live in now here in College Station TX by Texas A&M University are notorious for kids playing with shopping carts in the coldisac (circle). These shopping carts always wind up next to the dumpster. We cant wait to leave. I apologize if I sound wrong for saying that. Please reply with suggestions on a nice area.

We dont have to be close to the university but if someone could tell me what the differences are in everything from culture diversity to crime and such things like that between North, South, East and West San Jose. That would be great. Pros/Cons and Opinions are welcome.

Last edited by mistachy; 11-15-2009 at 11:46 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 12:03 PM

42 posts, read 110,169 times
Default More Infos

Money saved for how long,... my wife or I have a job in SJ etc.
How much we can afford,...

There are plenty of rental rooms surrounding the SJSU. Best are 2 to 3 blocks from the SJSU, east side, between So. 12th to So. 17th in the south of San Carlos to the 280 Frwy,... nar the SJSU 1 bdrm apartment is about 1K.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfordgal View Post
Money saved for how long,... my wife or I have a job in SJ etc.
How much we can afford,...

There are plenty of rental rooms surrounding the SJSU. Best are 2 to 3 blocks from the SJSU, east side, between So. 12th to So. 17th in the south of San Carlos to the 280 Frwy,... nar the SJSU 1 bdrm apartment is about 1K.
i was looking more so for opinions about the quality and specifics of the areas of san jose. for example: statements like South San Jose has a lot of new development, new stores, new homes, theres a mall here or there, and maybe a few zip codes of nice clean parts of town would be extremely helpful too. im not concerned about pricing or how close to capus i'd be, so no information like that will be helpful. also, to be honest, neither of us will probably work even, so money is of no concern really. maybe also tell me what you like about these areas one might recommend as well. more statements like: south san jose is different from north san jose in that......?????? West san jose is different from east san jose in that.... ??????? good info like that would be very helpful. maybe tell me where gang territory is so i know to steer clear....

im mostly concerned with the quality/cleanliness of the area, how well its kept... how nice the apartments and surrounding homes are kept up. stuff like low traffic... close to the free way that has less traffic, lots of nice people live in this area... and theres new development and lots of new retail outlets and so on... clean streets

names of subdivisions and zip codes please!! and
this area vs that area criticism is most welcome... north vs west vs south san jose....

i dont like like litter! i prefer well kept areas

i wouldnt mind knowing peoples opinions on Campbell vs Cambrian Park vs Mountain View vs Palo Alto

Last edited by mistachy; 11-15-2009 at 01:14 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 01:53 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,477,058 times
"neither of us will probably work even, money is of no concern really"

There's not much "new development" other than a few butt-ugly high-density housing tracts on undesirable land near freeways, and some condo towers downtown. Most San Jose housing dates from the 1950s-1970s, a terrible period for architecture. Pleasant exceptions to this (and in your price range, since money is not an issue) are Naglee Park, Rose Garden, and parts of Willow Glen. Or find a nice spread in the hills east of the city.

I can't guarantee that any of these places will be litter-free. In my neighborhood in Almaden Valley, the trash company often spills a few scraps while dumping the bins into the truck, and gardeners often pile cut branches at the curbside for pickup by the city. You probably wouldn't like it.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:00 PM

from some things ive read, the east part of town isnt the safest place ? i was thinking the nw, w, sw, or south might be better bets for safty? and for better restaurants? nice dine in 3 to 4 star restaurants... not exactly fine dining, but good places catered to upper middle class guests???

Old 11-15-2009, 05:15 PM

42 posts, read 110,169 times
Default Hmmm

Every person has different like and dislike, so you will have to search yourself...
San Jose - Willow Glen or Blossom Hill/Almadern Valley... middle class.
City of Santa Clara, Cupertino, Mountain View, Milpitas... middle class.
City of Los Gatos, Los Altos Hill, Saratoga ... upper middle class & above.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:13 PM

7,688 posts, read 26,622,441 times
San Jose apartments in general are trash, but the east side (like Story/White, Alum Rock/Jackson) is particularly bad both for crime and quality of accommodations. The traffic is horrific as well. That's not to say it's good in the rest of the city, but it's just chokingly heavy on the east side. On the plus side, it's pretty easy to get to SJSU via 680 (which turns into 280).

As you go north from the east side to approx. Mabury, it gets markedly better as it runs into the Berryessa/North Valley area. The drive to downtown is still not that bad, and there is good public transit as an alternative; just take the light-rail to Alum Rock and then the 522 to get to SJSU. Milpitas is similar to this area as well and also has light-rail, but it has the added bonus of an express bus to SJSU which gets you to campus in about 20 minutes most of the time via 880 and First St.

The south and west sides of town are punctuated by lots and lots of shopping, with some of the major epicenters being Blossom Hill & Santa Teresa (Oakridge Mall) and Stevens Creek & Winchester (Santana Row and Valley Fair). Stevens Creek in particular is a parade of strip malls and auto dealers. Then you have Los Gatos on the south, which is crunchy granola-ville, and Campbell, which has a kinda tired, but fun, '70s-vintage retail strip on Bascom Ave.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:39 PM

28,289 posts, read 30,854,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistachy View Post
Hi, me and my wife are moving to San Jose to go to school at San Jose State. We would like to live in the better part of the city but we are wholly unfamiliar with San Jose.

Any suggestions on what area would be better if we like to live in nice, clean, trashless environments? The apartments we live in now here in College Station TX by Texas A&M University are notorious for kids playing with shopping carts in the coldisac (circle). These shopping carts always wind up next to the dumpster. We cant wait to leave. I apologize if I sound wrong for saying that. Please reply with suggestions on a nice area.

We dont have to be close to the university but if someone could tell me what the differences are in everything from culture diversity to crime and such things like that between North, South, East and West San Jose. That would be great. Pros/Cons and Opinions are welcome.
I totally understand the shopping cart thing. I used to live in a neigborhood like that (in zip code 95122). You'll be glad to know that San Jose is pretty safe for a big city. Even the bad areas are pretty livable by big city standards.
Much of San Jose has clean and livable neighborhoods, although much of the housing stock is of the bland, cookie cutter, variety.

Although there are definitely exceptions, I would generally avoid anything considered East San Jose, which would be these zip codes

The last 2 zip codes are better than the top 2, but I still would not live in them because you often have to go through the crappy areas to get to what you want.

Here are some of the better zip codes:

95120 (one of San Jose's most upscale zip codes & farthest from downtown)

I'd also have to say, you should consider downtown if you are going to attend SJSU. I live and work downtown and it is WONDERFUL!!!!!

Downtown (95110, 95112, 95113) has it's share of dumpy places, but if you look hard, you cand find decent ones as well. They have fixed the area up quite a bit over the last 10 or 15 years and the results are starting to show. If you are planning on renting an apartment, there are a fair number of vacancies available because of the bad economy.

I suggest you google Westwood Properties of San Jose. I rent my apartment from them and am happy with them. I think most or all of the buildings they own are downtown.

I didn't list every zip code in town. And, of course, you really do have to look at places. There are exceptions to every rule. There are dumpy pockets in the nice zip codes and there are decent parts of the bad zip codes. However, since it's a renter's market, I would avoid the bad zip codes. Why take the risk of living in a marginal neighborhood if you don't need to?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
San Jose apartments in general are trash, but the east side (like Story/White, Alum Rock/Jackson) is particularly bad both for crime and quality of accommodations. The traffic is horrific as well. That's not to say it's good in the rest of the city, but it's just chokingly heavy on the east side. On the plus side, it's pretty easy to get to SJSU via 680 (which turns into 280).

As you go north from the east side to approx. Mabury, it gets markedly better as it runs into the Berryessa/North Valley area. The drive to downtown is still not that bad, and there is good public transit as an alternative; just take the light-rail to Alum Rock and then the 522 to get to SJSU. Milpitas is similar to this area as well and also has light-rail, but it has the added bonus of an express bus to SJSU which gets you to campus in about 20 minutes most of the time via 880 and First St.

The south and west sides of town are punctuated by lots and lots of shopping, with some of the major epicenters being Blossom Hill & Santa Teresa (Oakridge Mall) and Stevens Creek & Winchester (Santana Row and Valley Fair). Stevens Creek in particular is a parade of strip malls and auto dealers. Then you have Los Gatos on the south, which is crunchy granola-ville, and Campbell, which has a kinda tired, but fun, '70s-vintage retail strip on Bascom Ave.
this kind of information is veryyyyyyyyy helpful. i crave more

Old 11-15-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I totally understand the shopping cart thing. I used to live in a neigborhood like that (in zip code 95122). You'll be glad to know that San Jose is pretty safe for a big city. Even the bad areas are pretty livable by big city standards.
Much of San Jose has clean and livable neighborhoods, although much of the housing stock is of the bland, cookie cutter, variety.

Although there are definitely exceptions, I would generally avoid anything considered East San Jose, which would be these zip codes

The last 2 zip codes are better than the top 2, but I still would not live in them because you often have to go through the crappy areas to get to what you want.

Here are some of the better zip codes:

95120 (one of San Jose's most upscale zip codes & farthest from downtown)

I'd also have to say, you should consider downtown if you are going to attend SJSU. I live and work downtown and it is WONDERFUL!!!!!

Downtown (95110, 95112, 95113) has it's share of dumpy places, but if you look hard, you cand find decent ones as well. They have fixed the area up quite a bit over the last 10 or 15 years and the results are starting to show. If you are planning on renting an apartment, there are a fair number of vacancies available because of the bad economy.

I suggest you google Westwood Properties of San Jose. I rent my apartment from them and am happy with them. I think most or all of the buildings they own are downtown.

I didn't list every zip code in town. And, of course, you really do have to look at places. There are exceptions to every rule. There are dumpy pockets in the nice zip codes and there are decent parts of the bad zip codes. However, since it's a renter's market, I would avoid the bad zip codes. Why take the risk of living in a marginal neighborhood if you don't need to?
extremely helpful... thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or