Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:25 PM

109 posts, read 198,658 times

Advertisements

Okay as most of you know, we are moving from Houston, TX to Campbell, CA and the movers will be comming to load our stuff on the 15th of Dec. We will leave TX for good on the 16th. The movers will meet us in San Jose on the 20th.

We were planning to drive the entire coast line to get there and meet the movers there on the 15th. We figured take Inter state 8 to Interstate 5, to Highway 101 / 1 sticking along the coast so we can see Californias entire southern coastline on our first trip there. We were also going to visit LA for a good bit, go to beverly hills and shop down Rodeo Dr, maybe see some celeb houses...

Question is..... which beach is supposed to have white sand and blue water... see to the bottom clearly blue water, in California? We don't have blue water in the Gulf of Mexico and we would love to see that on our first and permanent trip to Cali...

Last edited by mistachy; 11-22-2009 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 09:50 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistachy View Post

Question is..... which beach is supposed to have white sand and blue water... see to the bottom clearly blue water, in California?
That would be Hawaii. But the drive is still quite nice (don't miss Big Sur for the true NorCal ocean experience)

Old 11-22-2009, 10:29 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
I'm not sure if you'll find the clear blue water that your imagining. Much of the coast of California is rugged and wild and also, not to be a bummer and though it hasn't rained much yet, you may be dealing with some weather during your travels.
I'd get on HWY1 around Cambria (the last time i was in Cambria the water was very blue and beautiful) and then stay on it all the way to Santa Cruz.
It's a beautiful drive and as bigdumbgod said, Big Sur is a don't miss and if you have the time you may want to spend the night there.
Big Sur Chamber of Commerce, Big Sur Lodging, Accommodations, Camping
Once you get just a bit north of Monterey, there's a stretch there that's kind of bleak but don't be discouraged.
So, you're expectations might be a bit "off" (this isn't Hawaii or the Caribbean) but hopefully you'll appreciate what you do see and experience.
The key to loving and being happy in CA for those coming from elsewhere, in my opinion, is being open to it, "going with the flow" (even though the flow can seem crazy at times) and not bringing the past (and/or expectations) with you.
And remember, winter is on the way so drive with care (Californians drive a bit more chaotically compared to other parts of the west) and look forward to the spring / summer when you can find one of the better beaches in S.C. county and "lay out" as you said you wanted to do in a previous post.
Happy Trails.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 11-22-2009 at 10:52 PM..

Old 11-22-2009, 11:33 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
We don't have anything like Bora Bora...

Old 11-23-2009, 10:10 AM

thanks all for the help. my question has been answered thoroughly

Old 12-04-2009, 05:39 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,790 times
You California guys take for granted the beautiful beaches and coast you have there...I live in Dallas and come from the Houston area, and before I first traveled to California, the only beaches I ever saw had brown frothy water and brownish sand (Gulf of Mexico) -- so although you guys don't think your beaches are beautiful and blue, someone coming from Texas for the first time will be in awe! Wish I was living there.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:13 PM

yea.... ive been to galveston many many times, im wanting to see something bluer

Old 12-14-2009, 02:35 PM

22 posts, read 49,282 times
When I moved from Virginia to California, we drove the entire way. It took us two days to get from Texas to South Pasadena, and that was stopping only for food and sleep. Don't you think you'll need a bit more time to get some sight-seeing in? Highway 1 isn't the fastest moving road in the state.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:46 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
La Jolla and Carmel.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:40 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Big Sur will definately be worth it, especially if you are moving form out of State. The problem is when moving sometimes ppl get so wrapped up in the act itself and new duties that they don't take the time to enjoy the beauty just a short drive away.

Here is what you will be moving close too and a reason you pay a premium to live in SJ.

Big Sur - got blue water here:

Point Lobos - Stop here as a minimum!

Monterey coast (near the aquarium):

Asilomar at night:

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose