U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 28,229 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the South Bay from San Francisco next fall because
of my job, and we have 3 children. The younger ones will go to a private
school but the middle school child (going to high school next year) might
go to a public school if we can find a good one there.

So can someone please tell me more
about Cupertino and Sunnyvale? I know they are very close to each other, what is the differences between that two places? Quality of school, neighborhoods and demographics. Thanks!!

We will be buying a house in the area so I just want to know more
about the neighborhoods
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 06:11 PM

677 posts, read 733,877 times
Cupertino has slightly better schools than Sunnyvale but is also more expensive for that reason. With 3 kids, be prepared to pay over $1 million for a decent house in Cupertino. A really nice house would be much higher.

The population of Cupertino is also predominantly Asian, so that's also something to consider. This, of course, also affects the competitiveness of the schools.

Both Sunnyvale and Cupertino are relatively safe cities, but Sunnyvale (especially the northern part) has more sketchy neighborhoods than Cupertino does. Both cities have similar weather - meaning great! Sunnyvale intersects both 101 and 280 but Cupertino intersects 280 and 85 but is further from 101, so it depends on where you need to commute to.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:41 PM

12,824 posts, read 21,285,727 times
Sunnyvale would be ever so slightly less in terms of "culture shock" than Cupertino.

It's older, more funky, denser and slightly more diverse, plus it's on the Caltrain line - all those factors tie it more strongly to the City than is the case with Cupertino.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:32 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
Sunnyvale (especially the northern part) has more sketchy neighborhoods than Cupertino does.
I lived in the north part of Sunnyvale for about 8 years and I really don't know where those 'sketchy neighborhoods' might be (the 'Lakes' and 'Woods' areas?). I'm pretty sure that Cupertino is more expensive overall, but it really varies per neighborhood. They're both ridiculously overpriced, IMO. Here are some of the things I liked about living in North Sunnyvale:
1) Reverse commute on 101/87 to downtown San Jose (might be a non issue for the OP)
2) CalTrain stop in downtown.
3) Light rail stops along Tasman.
4) Bay trail and Baylands Park access on foot or bike, without driving.
5) Easy access to Milpitas and 880 via 237.
6) Cooler breezes off the Bay in the summertime.
7) Being able to ride my bike or jog to work most of the way on trails instead of roads.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:00 PM

7,688 posts, read 26,609,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I lived in the north part of Sunnyvale for about 8 years and I really don't know where those 'sketchy neighborhoods' might be (the 'Lakes' and 'Woods' areas?).
I think it's not so much that they're sketchy, but they're dumpy with all the worn out mini-Eichlers and mobile home parks and that weird Mercado shopping center. The bay sometimes smells really bad too.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:47 PM

677 posts, read 733,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I lived in the north part of Sunnyvale for about 8 years and I really don't know where those 'sketchy neighborhoods' might be (the 'Lakes' and 'Woods' areas?).
I'm referring to the area north of downtown Sunnyvale and south of 101, like Maude Ave., east of Mathilda Ave. and also the area north of Central Expressway.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 28,229 times
Thank you so much for all the great info! I think we will go with Cupertino... I did some research and see that they have good schools in the area, my kids are competitive kids so it shouldn't be a problem for them, they go to private school here in SF and its pretty competitive here also

They will also go to tutoring classes, I know they have bunches of tutoring company in De Anza
area (near APPLE), is that a good neighborhood? The price is not a factor as long as it's convenient for my kids
to go to school and tutoring classes... Thanks again!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:21 PM

7,688 posts, read 26,609,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandidi View Post
Thank you so much for all the great info! I think we will go with Cupertino... I did some research and see that they have good schools in the area, my kids are competitive kids so it shouldn't be a problem for them, they go to private school here in SF and its pretty competitive here also

They will also go to tutoring classes, I know they have bunches of tutoring company in De Anza
area (near APPLE), is that a good neighborhood? The price is not a factor as long as it's convenient for my kids
There aren't any bad neighborhoods in Cupertino.. Rancho Rinconada looks like a third-world country in spots, but it's still a safe and affluent area, incredibly, and there is a lot of new construction pushing out the old crud..

Old 01-18-2010, 07:23 PM

10,410 posts, read 17,734,975 times
My daughter and her husband lived in Sunnyvale (now living in Los Altos), he is a 'Tino High teacher. I don't think you can go wrong in either school district. You need to pay attention to the social demands, including the expectations of parents.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:49 AM

13,046 posts, read 11,468,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandidi View Post

Also take a look at Seven Springs area near Prospect & Stelling. Great schools, easy access to 85 & 280, good restaurants, lots of tutoring, good shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or