Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 06:04 PM

6 posts, read 25,719 times

Advertisements

My family will be relocating to the peninsula this June and I am hoping that you all might be able to help me. I have been searching for a house to rent that's under $3000 (3 br min) and frankly I'm having a hard time choosing a location. We want our kids to be in good schools. Walkability is important. (We would love to be able to walk to a park, coffee shop, library, etc.) We need a yard as we have two dogs. It may be asking too much, but it would be nice to live near other families so that it's a little easier to become ingrained in a community. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 09:49 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Burlingame is your best and practically only choice for all of those factors. San Carlos has a cute walkable downtown, but it's tiny compared to Burlingame's long avenues of shops and restaurants. Very strong family feel. Lots of parks. Lots of cozy but cheerful old houses with decent size lots.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:17 AM

thanks so much sonarrat.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:24 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
I agree with San Carlos - nice little town with good schools. The downtown area is walkable and close to the Caltrain commuter station and a library and park.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:01 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltmom View Post
My family will be relocating to the peninsula this June and I am hoping that you all might be able to help me. I have been searching for a house to rent that's under $3000 (3 br min) and frankly I'm having a hard time choosing a location. We want our kids to be in good schools. Walkability is important. (We would love to be able to walk to a park, coffee shop, library, etc.) We need a yard as we have two dogs. It may be asking too much, but it would be nice to live near other families so that it's a little easier to become ingrained in a community. Thoughts?
You don't mention where you will be working, but there is Mountain View farther down the peninsula. It has all those things you're looking for. But if you need to be closer to the city I would recommend San Carlos. Burlingame will put you up in the fog belt, I think. The weather will be just a little bit cooler and you'll be closer to the San Francisco airport.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:18 AM

A big THANKS to the three of you. You all are amazing for answering so many questions for all of us!

If I were to move south on the peninsula to the South Bay area, would your recommendations change?

Old 02-06-2010, 11:03 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltmom View Post
A big THANKS to the three of you. You all are amazing for answering so many questions for all of us!

If I were to move south on the peninsula to the South Bay area, would your recommendations change?
Yes, they would. The prime areas in the South Bay are towns like Los Gatos, Saratoga, Palo Alto, which can be significantly more expensive than Burlingame, especially if you want to be near the walkable downtown core of the respective places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose