Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,969 times

Advertisements

We are a first time home buyers and liked a house in North San Jose zip code 95133 close to Berryessa, the stretch between Lundy and Flickinger. It is called Commodore neighborhood...
mostly big houses...2000+ sq.ft. I have few concerns and your response is appreciated.
1. How is the neighborhood/ location in general.
2. I liked the neighborhood itself where the house is located but I didn't like the streets when you go or come on US-101 and take Oakland road exit. It looks dirty and mostly factory/commercial place and Flea Market is also there. Does that really matter or affect living there?
Me or my husband would not need to take that route on regular basis. But I am concerned about the general feeling and the impression of the guests coming to my place.
I have read in internet that flea market is closing in 2010 and new construction will be coming up...which is a positive sign. Will it bring any change to the Oakland Rd Exit?

Will really appreciate any suggestion or feedback and will go a long way in our final decision....thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 06:17 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nupurhome View Post
We are a first time home buyers and liked a house in North San Jose zip code 95133 close to Berryessa, the stretch between Lundy and Flickinger. It is called Commodore neighborhood...
mostly big houses...2000+ sq.ft. I have few concerns and your response is appreciated.
1. How is the neighborhood/ location in general.
2. I liked the neighborhood itself where the house is located but I didn't like the streets when you go or come on US-101 and take Oakland road exit. It looks dirty and mostly factory/commercial place and Flea Market is also there. Does that really matter or affect living there?
Me or my husband would not need to take that route on regular basis. But I am concerned about the general feeling and the impression of the guests coming to my place.
I have read in internet that flea market is closing in 2010 and new construction will be coming up...which is a positive sign. Will it bring any change to the Oakland Rd Exit?

Will really appreciate any suggestion or feedback and will go a long way in our final decision....thanks in advance!
In general, Berryessa is a middle class neighborhood. As far as the Commodore neighborhod specifically, I don't think anyone actually refers to it as that or has even heard of it....generally the whole area is just referred to as Berryessa.

Seems to have a lot of Asians there, but probably a mix. Some houses are not particularly well maintained, but most are ok. I think a lot of houses in the neighborhood were not well constructed (someone who I worked with who lived in that area said the same thing), and thus have a "faded out" kind of look even though they aren't all that old. So I'd be concerned about possible maintenance issues on a lot of those houses.

I can't answer much to your 2nd point. I did used to live in the general area, I don't think the industrial stuff is going to take down the neighborhood, but it doesn't look pretty.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:49 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Industrial has very slowly been on the way out of San Jose for the past century. Every year more of it vanishes and is replaced with more new housing or commercial space. At any rate, the specific area you're talking about is kind of a transitional zone between Berryessa and some of the seedier parts of East San Jose, but it's pretty and I believe the Berryessa BART station is going to be close by when it's eventually finished. That should have more of an impact on the Oakland Road exit than anything if you ask me..

Old 02-17-2010, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 8,969 times
Thank you so much for your replies...really appreciate that!
That brings another question to my mind....when is the BART coming in Berryessa? Any ideaaaa...

Old 02-17-2010, 02:00 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
It's part of the first phase, and I believe they're looking good as far as funding goes. So we might see it in 5 years, but don't hold your breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: