Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 03:22 PM

8 posts, read 47,916 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband is interviewing for jobs in Cupertino and Palo Alto. I'm going to try to get into UC Berkeley.

I lived for many years in the midwest and northeast and developed a serious case of winter depression (seasonal affective disorder - SAD). I was completely debilitated from October through March and no treatment seemed to help. We've been living in AZ for 5 years and I haven't had any SAD issues.

I want to make sure I give the Bay Area my best shot. Can you please tell me which cities around the South Bay / East Shore areas have the best weather (sunniest, least fog, cloudy days, rain)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 08:40 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
San Jose has an average of over 300 sunny days a year, according to the city. It rains significantly less here than it does in Marin and San Francisco.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:50 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
That's easy...

Parade Magazine commissioned a study to determine the best climate of major US cities... the study was based on the number of heating and cooling days per year and temperature extremes...

Only one US city made the list for two separate months of the year...

Oakland California was reported as having the nearly ideal climate... almost never freezes and rarely does it get hot enough to justify air conditioning...

Many older Oakland homes were built with no heater... or maybe a single 25k Btu floor furnace and central A/C is still a rarity... even in Montclair's million dollar plus homes.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:26 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Oakland California was reported as having the nearly ideal climate... almost never freezes and rarely does it get hot enough to justify air conditioning...

Many older Oakland homes were built with no heater... or maybe a single 25k Btu floor furnace and central A/C is still a rarity... even in Montclair's million dollar plus homes.
You could say the same thing for South San Francisco, where I lived for almost two years and never needed either the heater or the air conditioning. In fact, I had at least one window open all the time, year-round. But, it doesn't have the kind of climate that the OP is asking for.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:08 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,056 times
San Francisco is the only city I've ever lived in where I sometimes had to use the heat during the summer. Also, within the first year I already found anything over 80F to be really hot. Fortunately it almost never gets that hot in the city. I love fog and cool weather so for my money SF has the best weather in the region.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:34 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,256,502 times
Funny, when I was growing up in the Bay Area burbs, 80F was a cold day for us. I know in SF that would be hot. We were always 20-30 degrees hotter than the City.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:42 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fair weather cumulus View Post
Hi,

My husband is interviewing for jobs in Cupertino and Palo Alto. I'm going to try to get into UC Berkeley.

I lived for many years in the midwest and northeast and developed a serious case of winter depression (seasonal affective disorder - SAD). I was completely debilitated from October through March and no treatment seemed to help. We've been living in AZ for 5 years and I haven't had any SAD issues.

I want to make sure I give the Bay Area my best shot. Can you please tell me which cities around the South Bay / East Shore areas have the best weather (sunniest, least fog, cloudy days, rain)?

Thanks!
My personal favorites are Mountain View, Palo Alto, & Newark/Fremont.

All 3 have at least 5 months where daytime highs average in the 70s, but usually stay at or below 80. Winters are only a degree or two cooler than in San Francisco, but the difference isn't that noticeable because it's mainly colder at night and the same or warmer during the day.

All 3 are drier and sunnier than San Francisco as well.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:59 PM

334 posts, read 1,066,714 times
If you live in AZ and suffer from SAD, you will have it in the bay area. It is gray w/ charley brown clouds from October till March pretty much everywhere w/ SF having it at least a few hours per day, most days year round.

Your best bet if you move here is to make sure you buy/rent a house that gets the maximum sunlight. Don't look at the place in the rain/gray day...make sure it is sunny. You will likely need to take vitamin d in the fall/winter, keep all your curtains open, and possibly need to buy those "UV lights" for your home. Each morning you need to stare into these lights while having breakfast to elevate your mood. It is the only way to cope living here 5-6 months out of the year.

Good luck.

Fellow "SAD" sufferer

Old 02-28-2010, 10:20 PM

43 posts, read 84,475 times
I think the weather in any Santa Clara county city is usually ideal. The exception to this is Santa Cruz because it's on the water.

San Jose, Milpitas, Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Los Gatos, Saratoga Campbell, Almaden etc. all have the same weather. It's usually mid 60s to low 80s during the Fall and Spring. It's 80+ from May to September. In the Winter it ranges between the 40s to the 60s and rains a lot.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGlee View Post
I think the weather in any Santa Clara county city is usually ideal. The exception to this is Santa Cruz because it's on the water.
The other reason it is an exception is because it is in Santa Cruz County, not Santa Clara County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose