Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 01:44 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at moving down to San Jose or Santa Clara (From SF) around June. I have a pretty much generic Liberal Arts BA. I'll be looking for work in the South Bay.

Right now I'm hoping to find a good 1br or studio for under 1000. I've seen many of these on craigslist but an unsure of the quality. I looked at a few 1br's in downtown San Jose in the 8-900 range but they were kind of junky and didn't seem very well kept. Is it possible to find a good, clean apt. for this price? (If not a 1br, a studio is fine.) I am interested in downtown SJ because I would like to be in a walkable neighborhood but I have also been browing SJ Japantown, SJ West, Santa Clara, and Saratoga. I'd also like to have good restaurants nearby but I don't care so much about bars or clubs.

I've heard you shouldn't move until you have a job, but I don't have a job up here either (I was up here for culinary school, and for reasons not worth getting into this sadly isn't going to work as a career for me...but I'm finished in May in any case) and rent here is significantly more expensive (especially for your own place; right now I'm living with roommates and looking to get out of this situation) Also it's not like the economy in SF is any better.

Also...I know from past experience that there's no point in applying for jobs until after you move because if you're not local 99% of employers will not give you the time of day. But since it's only ~1 hr away, is it worth it to start applying for jobs before I move? Or would it be better to wait until I have a San Jose address before applying for jobs around Silicon Valley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 02:46 AM

48 posts, read 155,854 times
I don't know much that can help you much with the apartment search, as coincidentally I'm in a similar situation myself (looking to move to San Jose around June), meaning we're both in the same boat. I've been told that Craigslist is an excellent resource, so you might want to look there.

But I may be able to help a little with your job hunt questions. Which industry are you planning to seek employment in?

For white collar / professional jobs, I highly doubt that living in SF will be seen as a disadvantage by any employer. Lots of people commute daily from SF to Silicon Valley for work every single day. In fact, on the contrary, if you're applying to a major firm (which recruits nationwide or even worldwide), then living in SF might actually give you an advantage over other candidates who don't live in the area.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Rent is expensive in SF, yes, but so is moving. Plus, people commute from everyfreakingwhere to the Silicon Valley. Your address isn't going to matter to them.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:30 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Also...I know from past experience that there's no point in applying for jobs until after you move because if you're not local 99% of employers will not give you the time of day. But since it's only ~1 hr away, is it worth it to start applying for jobs before I move? Or would it be better to wait until I have a San Jose address before applying for jobs around Silicon Valley?
Not sure why you think that SF is not "local" to Silicon Valley. I work in the heart of the Valley and my colleagues come from all over the Bay Area. A lot of people, including myself, commute from San Francisco. Another co-worker of mine commutes from Aptos.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:34 PM

197 posts, read 977,147 times
I had to Google where Aptos is ... (Aptos - Google Maps)

Old 04-14-2010, 03:34 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times
Moving isn't expensive unless you have a lot of stuff, which I don't. Last time I moved I fit everything into my Honda Civic - 1 trip. (Yes, really.) Since this would be fairly close I can take a few trips if need be.

I know people commute all over the place but my concerns about SF not being exactly "local" to the South Bay is from:
1) A few of the ads on craigslist I've seen say something along the lines of "local candidates only (~15 miles)"
2) There does seem to be an animosity from people in SF about 20-somethings who move there because it's "cool" and then go get techie jobs in Silicon Valley. (Not from everyone, but it's definitely noticeable.) I don't care about that, but I was wondering the flipside could be true -- companies in SV getting irritated about people moving to SF because it's more exciting/etc and then trying to find work in SV because they can't in SF.

But from the previous posts, it doesn't seem like it would be an issue most of the time.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:15 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
I'm looking at moving down to San Jose or Santa Clara (From SF) around June. I have a pretty much generic Liberal Arts BA. I'll be looking for work in the South Bay.

Right now I'm hoping to find a good 1br or studio for under 1000. I've seen many of these on craigslist but an unsure of the quality. I looked at a few 1br's in downtown San Jose in the 8-900 range but they were kind of junky and didn't seem very well kept. Is it possible to find a good, clean apt. for this price? (If not a 1br, a studio is fine.) I am interested in downtown SJ because I would like to be in a walkable neighborhood but I have also been browing SJ Japantown, SJ West, Santa Clara, and Saratoga. I'd also like to have good restaurants nearby but I don't care so much about bars or clubs.

I've heard you shouldn't move until you have a job, but I don't have a job up here either (I was up here for culinary school, and for reasons not worth getting into this sadly isn't going to work as a career for me...but I'm finished in May in any case) and rent here is significantly more expensive (especially for your own place; right now I'm living with roommates and looking to get out of this situation) Also it's not like the economy in SF is any better.

Google Westwood Properties. They are my landlord and I'm happy with them. They own stuff in downtown SJ and have vacancies available. Their properties aren't luxury by any means, but they do keep them up decently. They are a local landlord and don't gouge people as much as the landlords who own the large, cookie cutter apartment complexes.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think Silicon Valley people/employers would have any hang ups about you looking for work down here and living up there.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:31 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzod View Post
I had to Google where Aptos is ... (Aptos - Google Maps)
Yeah, it's a bit off the beaten path...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose