U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 05:54 PM

165 posts, read 731,188 times

Advertisements

Anyone wonders why we are still having rainy days in the south bay area? May is almost there but we're still getting dampener days sometimes during the week.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 06:42 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,873,214 times
Old patterns are shifting .... last year it poured rain for the first few days of May and remember that deluge last October?
And it's an El Nino year so that most likely has something to do with it ... or maybe everything to do with it.
There was an El Nino year (years ago ... can't remember when exactly) and it rained (more like drizzled) all through the month of June here.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,492,909 times
I love it - we can use all the rain we can get. It was only what, six months ago that we were being warned about mandatory water rationing this year if we didn't get a wet enough winter. I think the last big El Niño was in the winter of 1997-1998. I lived in LA at the time and it rained almost every day that season. I recall more than once that year having to turn around and drive home after finding every viable route to work was flooded. This winter has been pretty mild compared with that.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:29 PM

5,705 posts, read 7,066,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy7 View Post
Anyone wonders why we are still having rainy days in the south bay area? May is almost there but we're still getting dampener days sometimes during the week.
Try moving to (beautiful) Oregon and see how happy you are about the rain.

I've lived in northern California and in Oregon. I know, it's unusual to get so much right now, but at least there is less chance of a water shortage in summer. I know some folks are worried about mudslides, which is really unfortunate.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:27 PM

249 posts, read 341,472 times
Originally Posted by sandy7

Got to love it. California Weather Wimps complaining about the rain. Don't you remember the saying " April showers bring May flowers". I can call you Wimps because I am a California native living in the semi tropical SouthEast. One last parting comment to the Southern Californians who may be reading: Water does not magically appear when you turn on the faucet, it came from the Sierra snowpack diverted to your faucet by the great California water projects. Peace and Love to all.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:44 PM

165 posts, read 731,188 times
I wouldnt have minded it so much if not for the fact that my 9 month old is perplexed why we sometimes hit the trails/parks one day and stay cooped up indoors the next.

Whats equally odd is the fact that weather.com predicts decent amount of rain for the next day when I check the previous night. I cancel all plans and then there's not a drop to be seen the following day. It's un-bay area like but then I'm just a tyro who's spent less than 2 yrs in the valley.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:22 AM

6,958 posts, read 20,258,204 times
Heehheh, my 2 year old came to the sliding glass doors one day when we lived in Everett WA and started jumping up and down raving "It's a sunny day, It's a sunny day, It's a sunny day!" We moved back to California within 3 months.

She now lives about 10 miles away from where she was born up there 24 years later.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:37 PM

28,648 posts, read 31,234,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy7 View Post
I don't think it's that bad. It's not like it's rained every day. I don't mind it being cooler than normal because I know it will warm up soon enough.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:48 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,683,773 times
And also rain is very good for the trees, grass, etc. People complain about the rains in Seattle but that is partly why they have such beautiful trees and other plants. On the other hand, some places in the south bay area are desert like because it doesn't rain often enough. Think about the good effects of rain before complaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakandDizzy View Post
Originally Posted by sandy7

Got to love it. California Weather Wimps complaining about the rain. Don't you remember the saying " April showers bring May flowers". I can call you Wimps because I am a California native living in the semi tropical SouthEast. One last parting comment to the Southern Californians who may be reading: Water does not magically appear when you turn on the faucet, it came from the Sierra snowpack diverted to your faucet by the great California water projects. Peace and Love to all.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:46 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,552,171 times
If this keeps up, you won't even have a major drought this year. What a bummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose