Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 03:44 PM

4 posts, read 13,743 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving from Canada to the bay area. He will be doing a postdoc at Stanford, I have a job lined up in San Jose. I would like to commute via Caltrain to work (I have read that they are broke but will be keeping rush hour trains..), as would he. Would a place like Mountain View or Sunnyvale be a nice between place to live? Both of us would like a reasonable commute.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 04:37 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,048,141 times
Is the work convenient to Caltrain? Both of the primary train stations in SJ (Diridon, Tamien) are also served by the light-rail, as is Mountain View downtown, but the LRT has a lot more stops so it might get you closer to work. There are a lot of newer apartments close to Tasman & Fair Oaks by the light-rail, or along Tasman Drive in Santa Clara. Very safe.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:53 PM

Apparently the place I would be working has a shuttle from the Caltrain station. I would have to look more into that. Thanks for the tip on the light-rail, I will check that out.

Also thanks for the tip about Tasman & Fair Oaks and Santa Clara - would that be an OK commute to Stanford? Does the light rail go there as well?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:13 PM

3,719 posts, read 14,669,108 times
The light rail doesn't go any further north than Mountain View - no light rail into Palo Alto.

However, Caltain stops in Palo Alto (University Ave. stop) and Stanford has a free shuttle from the station to many places on the Stanford campus.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:11 PM

Thanks! That was why I was originally thinking Caltrain.

But is Mountain View/Sunnyvale a good place to live between Stanford and San Jose? By that I mean will both of our commutes be reasonable?

Old 04-29-2010, 09:47 PM

6,793 posts, read 8,984,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsteriffic View Post
Thanks! That was why I was originally thinking Caltrain.

But is Mountain View/Sunnyvale a good place to live between Stanford and San Jose? By that I mean will both of our commutes be reasonable?
Either of those would be a fantastic place to live. The commute to Stanford will be pretty easy. Your commute to San Jose depends on where you will work. If you are taking Caltrain then your commute wouldn't be more than 20-30 minutes. The light rail goes to some of the office parks in north San Jose. Even if you have to drive, there are ways to have a reasonable commute.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 PM

Great! Thank-you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose