Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:02 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,725,818 times

Advertisements

And don't forget the Mystery Spot.
The Mystery Spot Official Website
The kids may really enjoy some of what Santa Cruz county has to offer and staying in either Mnnterey Coutny or S.C. county will be less hectic and more relaxing and yet be close enough to San Francisco for that 1 - 2 day trip you'll be doing.
Makes sense to me but this is all subjective .... just depends on what your priorities are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 09:09 PM
SA5 SA5 started this thread

60 posts, read 136,068 times
You all have been so helpful. I truly appreciate the time you've spent. Obviously you all are very proud of your area! If you ever visit San Antonio, let me know and I'll give you some tips!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:20 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,725,818 times
The Monterey Bay and the S.F. Bay areas are wonderful.
Happy trails - have a great trip!!!

Old 05-04-2010, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 831 times
San Jose is your best bet it's an easy airport. Since your kids are 17 and 12 they will like Santa Cruz much better then Napa I suggest you fly into San Jose but you stay in the downtown area there are tons of hotels for all price ranges, if you stay downtown your kids will get a kick out of Ceasar Chavez park, the Tech Museum and remember to hit up Music in the park if you are in San Jose on a Thursday it's a free concert that has had some of the best bands play (bands like Maroon 5, Flogging Molly, Dresden Dolls, Mandy Moore, Greg Kin Band, Goldfinger and many others) and it's free you can't beat that. Also, you can take the caltrain into San Fransisco and it lets you off right next to Giants Stadium and a short walk away from fisherman's wharf. your kids would get a kick out to the Maritime museum and water park, Academy of Science and take them to Fort Point if you can!

Enjoy your vacation the south bay is a great spot and central location to everything you want to see!

Old 05-28-2010, 11:21 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,522 times
San Jose gets my vote for base of operations. Central access to San Jose, Santa Cruz, San Francisco, plus San Jose Airport is significantly less of a pain in the butt than San Francisco Airport.

I-280 between San Jose and San Francisco is the way to go if traveling directly between the two cities. U.S. 101 jams up badly as you approach San Francisco. 280 is infinitely more scenic. Avoid going into SF on 19th Avenue. Traffic jam central. And watch for the cops. I actually got a ticket there for going 2mph over the posted limit.

Unless you're going to park at the San Francisco waterfront, such as to visit Pier 39 or take the tour of Alcatraz (I think it's still available), having a car in certain parts of San Francisco is a major headache. No place to park. (Chinatown, North Beach). See if you can plan you SF visit in such a way that you can take public transportation in to and out of the city proper, maybe park your car in a B.A.R.T. station and ride the train into SF.

If you or your kids are somewhat science or tech oriented, check out the Tech Museum of Innovation in downtown San Jose. And if you like Italian food, check out Original Joe's Restaurant in Downtown San Jose. Original Joe's Italian Restaurant

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is a regular tourist attraction, and you can rent bicycles there to ride the bike trails.

Enjoy your vacation. (Man, do I miss the Bay Area!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose