Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 04:41 PM

379 posts, read 785,706 times

Advertisements

I can't think of any place you could both live in that wouldn't be a hellish commute for at least one if not both of you. I commuted from Vacaville to Berkeley once a week for class for a year, and it was absolutely hellish. While that drive is only 45 minutes during empty times, like a typical weekend, during rush hour it would often take me 1 1/2 hours to get home. I can't imagine having to do that commute five times a week. Going to San Jose would be just as bad, since 680 and 880, your two most likely routes, would be a mess. Your fiancee's commute likely wouldn't be as bad, just long, since it's counter-traffic.

I would suggest living very close to an Amtrak Capitol Corridor and taking the train to work, since there are Amtrak stops in San Jose and Davis. Some places you could live in on the line with actual stations (as opposed to just whistle stops) include Oakland (Jack London Square stop), Emeryville, Martinez, and Fairfield or Suisun City. The train is much nicer than being stuck in rush hour traffic, and you avoid paying tolls at bridges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 04:58 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,051 times
Also, I used to live in Santa Clara and would occasionally have to drive up to downtown Oakland to pick up my then-girlfriend (now wife). I don't think that I was ever able to make that trip in rush hour in much less than an hour. So, tack on some more time for being in San Jose (not sure where in SJ you will be working) and a lot more time for going to Walnut Creek through the Caldecott Tunnel; I would expect that you will be hating the commute within a week.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:02 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Very environmentally conscious.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:39 PM

34 posts, read 71,855 times
The job is on the south east side of San Jose - I would be going down 680 to 101 and would be on 101 for about 7 miles before exiting. Well, I'll probably drive down there and try it out to see what it actually is. I'm hoping the job has some flexibility for starting times. We'll see. Thanks to everyone for their input!

Doesn't seem like there are many options for public transport to get me there. bummer.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:19 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
I once drove from San Jose to Vallejo via I-680 on a Friday, and it took 2 1/2 hours... using carpool lanes! And all of the slow traffic was before hitting Walnut Creek. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but it would be positively stupid to try and accommodate both of you, especially since there's no effective public transit to the part of San Jose you're talking about. (Silver Creek Valley Road?)

I could only suggest living in Davis and renting a studio for staying in San Jose during the week. I work with someone who lives in Roseville, and he stays over in Livermore if he has to come in two days in a row.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:39 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,725,818 times
Yes, and you have to figure in the time it will take to actually get onto the freeway from your home in Walnut Creek (with all the other commuters who are likewise headed for the freeway), winter weather (rain can really slow things down) and accidents which, needless to say, can wreak havoc with commuting.
I think you should do both of those commutes a few times during rush hour and get real about what you're getting yourself into.
Doing that on a daily basis seems really crazy to me but if you want to and can deal with the stress of spending hours on the road, more power to you.
Why anyone would do it is beyond me.
I travel often to and from the Truckee area / Santa Cruz and know that route well and i always plan my trips so as to avoid being in commuter traffic.
And still, i've gotten jammed up in different places along that route because of accidents, holiday travel, and whatever.
Also, when you do that drive often, you'll see that there are some really bad drivers on the road which ads to the stress.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 05-11-2010 at 03:07 PM..

Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 PM

198 posts, read 530,236 times
It's better to rent a room near work for you or your SO for weekdays instead of having to make that commute daily.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:12 PM

34 posts, read 71,855 times
Y'all will be happy to know I just received and accepted a job offer right here in Sacramento! So no need to move for this San Jose job! YAY! Thanks for all your input though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose