Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,367 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving out of Los Angeles (Glendale) to the San Jose area...have any of you done that? And if so, what have been the positive aspects of such move...THANKS for your input...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:55 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Cops don't mess with people here nearly as much as they do in L.A. (beach cities in most of my past experience, but also just about anywhere else down there). San Jose is safer, tidier, and just altogether less than all that is L.A. More geeks, though, but they're harmless. Traffic jams suck just about as much. Our pho rules.

Let's go Sharks.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:40 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
L.A. is dozens of small cities within the city limits of a 20+ million person megatropolis. Which part of LA ?

Likewise, while a smaller population, the Bay Area is large and diverse as well (the city, East bay, Peninsula, South Bay, etc.).

I would say the traffic is terrible here, but you are coming from LA and nothing beats the 405.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:10 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
SJ is the nerd epicenter of America, LA is the tacky entertainment epicenter of America. Traffic, city street layout, and architecture feel very similar. Santana Row is a lot like the Grove. Traffic jams and jumbled freeways exist in both. SJ has a lot of Mexican culture, and a lot of palm trees, like LA. So SJ looks a lot like LA, but the culture is more iPad than lip injection.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:19 AM

157 posts, read 504,632 times
Made the opposite move in order to find work. Would definitely be back in SJ if able to maintain employment there. Overall, a better place to live.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:40 PM

30,892 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyes2 View Post
Made the opposite move in order to find work. Would definitely be back in SJ if able to maintain employment there. Overall, a better place to live.
Could you elaborate on that?

I know, for one, SJ has cleaner air than anywhere in the LA area (except maybe the coastal cities).

Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 AM

I moved to LA because I could no longer afford to live in SJ without a job. I hate LA. I love SJ. One of the major differences is better weather. Also, better air. The surrounding area is cleaner in general and not so old and run down looking. People, in general, are more courteous, quiet, and less interested in criminal activity. It only takes about one hour to get across town, instead of two to three hours to travel less than 30 miles on stop, go 12 feet, stop LA freeways. The quality of life in SJ is just plain better. I look forward to returning, if only in my dreams.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:21 PM

865 posts, read 1,826,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
SJ is the nerd epicenter of America, LA is the tacky entertainment epicenter of America. Traffic, city street layout, and architecture feel very similar. Santana Row is a lot like the Grove. Traffic jams and jumbled freeways exist in both. SJ has a lot of Mexican culture, and a lot of palm trees, like LA. So SJ looks a lot like LA, but the culture is more iPad than lip injection.
LOL. Funny...and rather accurate. Though I find it much quicker to get around here...traffic is much better.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:40 PM

30,892 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyes2 View Post
I moved to LA because I could no longer afford to live in SJ without a job. I hate LA. I love SJ. One of the major differences is better weather. Also, better air. The surrounding area is cleaner in general and not so old and run down looking. People, in general, are more courteous, quiet, and less interested in criminal activity. It only takes about one hour to get across town, instead of two to three hours to travel less than 30 miles on stop, go 12 feet, stop LA freeways. The quality of life in SJ is just plain better. I look forward to returning, if only in my dreams.
Ok, thanks for your input! I used to think SJ was safe, but that seems to be changing. We've had a big spike in murders here. I had my car broken into TWICE in the last 2 weeks. That has never happened to me in the 14 years I've lived here, even when I lived on the bad side of town.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 AM

I had my personal safety problems in SJ but the atmosphere was not as negative there as it is down here. When I first moved here, I couldn't get used to all the police action, complete with sirens. In SJ, to get that kind of police action, a person had to live in the downtown area. It was so quiet in Saratoga I could sleep at any time of the night or day. I miss SJ and the entire Bay area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose