Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 8,854 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone!
I'll begin with some background information. We are from New Orleans and when I was a child, I spent some time with family friends in Santa Fe, but I hadn't been in about ten years. My partner and I have just returned to New Orleans from a 2 week road trip in New Mexico. We worked our way up from Carlsbad to Taos and have fallen in love. It now seems as though a move is in the works, and I need to get this rolling. We are students, but plan on taking a year off in order to establish residency before returning to university. I am studying Art History and Education, and he is an artist. I understand that there's not much in the way of university in Taos, but there is a branch of UNM. This is where things get tricky for us. We are absolutely in love with Taos, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to go to school while living there, or if we'll have to move to Santa Fe or ABQ to return to school.
For the year both of us will need to find work- our backgrounds are in the restaurant and theater industries, and I was wondering if you agree that there's enough opportunity in Taos.
We are young, but we're not big party people and we don't need much action. We're basically looking a place that's quiet, safe, and beautiful like Taos. I just need to make sure that it's reasonable for two working students to move to what seems to be a quiet, tiny (retirement) community.
We've spent some time, but a few days in each place can only reveal so much. It will be a while before we can get back, but before I set my sights completely on Taos, I would love some advice on what is more realistic for our situation.

Thank you very much !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 03:32 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,297 times
If I were you, I would finish school before considering a move. New Orleans has more options in higher education. Finish up there, then head west.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:38 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
If I were you, I would finish school before considering a move. New Orleans has more options in higher education. Finish up there, then head west.
Ditto...

Old 07-12-2010, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 8,854 times
Thanks, guys. Honestly, I'd love to, but there's no telling what's going to happen in the next few months... I might have to move, you know?
And besides, they've already cut my major and my job from the univ, if I even go to a different school down here it would be a similar story
: (

Old 07-12-2010, 05:37 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
Transfer to UNM or NMSU and when your done you can think about making the move to Santa Fe/ Taos.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:09 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,214 times
I think the idea of coming to UNM in Albuquerque first and then maybe later moving on to Santa Fe or Taos is a good one. It's not too difficult visiting either one. Well, Taos is more of a haul, but getting to Santa Fe on the Rail Runner is not bad at all. There is a shuttle that goes to Taos from Santa Fe, as well, though it takes a pretty circuitous route. But then that's part of the charm of going to Taos to begin with, in a way.

Also, you do realize that Taos tends to be on the pricey side, right (especially compared to typical salaries there)?

Do the art history offerings in this area work for you in terms of your specific interests?

Normally I would agree with those who advise you not to finish your education first before relocating, but given the situation in New Orleans, perhaps the time is right. I am saddened and angered by what has happened to New Orleans and all areas affected by the ongoing oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Honestly, I've never felt any particular connection to that region, but my heart goes out to the people whose lives are being utterly turned upside down by this disaster.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:09 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times
All the advice about finishing school and then moving is fine, but if
you are in your 20's and not particular about living in a fancy place,
why not just move to Taos and enjoy yourself for a year ( or so )?

Quote:
I would finish school before considering a move
We're talking about Art History studies here, not something
that's going to provide an actual living.

Before graduation - member of the wait staff or cashier
After graduation -- member of the wait staff or cashier

I went straight from high school to a four-year accounting
degree and was done by 22.

I should have just moved to Taos and went to school later.

I think people should be allowed to be young and stupid.
They don't have kids, so they can't be that stupid.

Oh, and BTW, it doesn't matter if you are a resident or not
if you are only taking one class to start with.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:55 PM

293 posts, read 971,275 times
I'm going to have to agree with Mortimer. If you love Taos... make the move! Don't bother to finish your education in New Orleans, because a few of the previous posters were right - a degree in art history isn't going to qualify you for any real job, so who cares where you get your degree from? As for a degree in education, I don't think it matters where you go to school because you have to pass a state licensing exam, so if you can study education in Taos (and I don't know if you can), then do it. Go to Taos, establish residency, and finish your degree.

There are restaurant jobs everywhere. Just be prepared to live in marginal housing in either Taos or Santa Fe because cost of living is pretty high compared to restaurant salaries.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:33 AM

529 posts, read 1,325,832 times
UNM Taos doesn't offer any undergraduate degrees unless I misinterpreted it's website's degree offerings. I know they pay ABQ wages up there as I checked UNM's job board for job openings. The College of Santa Fe (soon to be renamed Laurent for profit University Fanta Se, as we ripped the City of Santa Fe off for millions cuz they're dumb) is a very, very, very expensive liberal arts college and I won't get into St. John's tuition either. If you got cash then it's no problem.

Taos is extremely expensive compared to the wages that are offered. It is a place for rich East Coasters, Bostonians and Hollywood stars to retire to plus there is nothing for youngsters like you to do. Santa Fe is that way for that matter only there's a few more old Californians here and rich Texans that have second homes and some pretty weird ideas on how things should be. I've known a few folks here that have actually moved to N.O. because they wanted a better quality of life and the music scene, from what I was told, was dead here but very much alive in Louisiana.

Like one of the other responding posters; finish your degree, regardless of the career opportunities, at least you started and finished something. That stands out to a lot of employers. Morti is right about her synopsis of education and a job in Taos except that this is how it will really be;

Sun - Waiting at resturant 6a -2p work at Alberton's 3p-12a
Mon - Work @ Alb 11a-7p
Tues - Work @ rest 6a - 2p work @ Alb 3p -12a
Wed - Work @ rest 10a - 7p
Thur - Work @ Alb 7a - 4p
Fri - Work @ rest 6a - 2p Alb 3p - 8p
Sat - Work @ rest 10a - 7p
Total weekly paycheck from both jobs = $450.00
Total weekly expenses in Taos = $550.00
Time to enjoy Taos = 5 minutes a week.

If you have lots of money then it's a different story otherwise you'll need two or three jobs in Taos to make it. Santa Fe is almost that way too.
Albuquerque or Las Cruces would be better choices for finishing your education and being able to find something to do to pay the bills and it's so much cheaper. After you establish yourself, then you might consider northern NM, however be prepared to make sacrifices in you standard of living. Most regular folks that move here have to...unless you have money like I said...

Good Luck!

Last edited by Ziasforever; 07-15-2010 at 08:43 AM..

Old 07-15-2010, 08:59 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever
Total weekly expenses in Taos = $550.00
I would bet that I could do it for less. Far less.

It's all about your expectations and taste.

If you have expensive tastes, your chances of enjoying life
are far less than if you have humble expectations and taste.

Live without a car, chip in for gasoline when someone
drives you to the mountains to go hiking. Working in a
restaurant offers one the chance to eat very inexpensively.

I wouldn't allow someone else's needs and expectations
to dictate what makes me happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe