Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 10:54 AM

47 posts, read 145,287 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm in my late 40's and have moderate/severe rheumatoid arthritis, although it's under pretty good control with strong chemotherapy, so I'm fairly active and most people would never guess it's that bad. However, I want to do everything I can outside of heavy medication to improve my health.

I'm from Chicago and currently live in Southern California. As it turns out, neither of these climates has been good for me. I took a trip to Albuquerque and Santa Fe last fall and absolutely fell in love with it. My dad used to live in Albuquerque many years ago, so I guess it's in my blood!

I'm ready to move and would love to live in Santa Fe. I've heard that people are really healthy there due to the sunshine and fresh mountain air. My 2 concerns are the high elevation and the cold winters, which might not be good for RA. High elevation has thinner air, which, I believe, is the same as low air pressure -- the same as an approaching storm! Also, the cold, damp weather in Chicago was the absolute worst for me, which is why I moved to CA. (But I don't like it here at all! Crowds, pollution, traffic, foggy at the beach, etc.) How are the winters in NM?

Does anyone know someone living in either Santa Fe or Albuquerque who has RA? How does the climate affect them?

Thank you for any help you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 PM

293 posts, read 970,937 times
Sorry - I have no idea about RA and our climate's affect on it. I can, however, tell you about SF winters. They're not as brutal as Chicago... but we get snow. On average, 2 feet of it a year. It's cold here from November - March. You'll need a winter coat, hat and boots. Most days are sunny, which is nice. But it's cold. If cold bothers your RA, then Santa Fe is not the place for you.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:27 PM

Thank you cyanthus. I'm guessing from the lack of responses that Santa Fe is not my best option if I'm relocating for my health. I kind of suspected that, but it was worth a try. To everyone out there in Santa Fe -- enjoy your beautiful city! I'll have to experience it only on vacation. Best of health and luck to everyone out there!

Old 07-24-2010, 05:30 PM

713 posts, read 1,845,406 times
An ex-girlfriend had moderate RA. The summer and fall are great, but the winters can get kind of cold, which really affected her. After we broke up she ended up moving to Las Vegas, NV. She said the year round temperature was much better for her.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:20 PM

Thank you, loborick. I posted the same question on the Phoenix forum and got some really positive feedback within hours. Now your experience with your girlfriend has lent further credence that a warmer climate would be better. Thank you so much for taking the time to post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe