Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 02:39 PM

293 posts, read 970,937 times

Advertisements

I would very much like to put luminarias on our roof this year, but can't seem to figure out where to buy them. I know the Boy Scouts and other organizations sell paper bag luminarias closer to Christmas. However, I'm looking for the electric strings of lights with the plastic bags so that I can put them on the roof and leave them.

Does anyone have a source for luminarias around here that I'm just not finding? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 08:36 PM

713 posts, read 1,845,406 times
You're asking for trouble putting luminarias on your roof. Here in Santa Fe luminarias are the bonfires. I think you're talking about the farolitos. I always put real farollitos on my roof and on the walkway up to my front door. It's a little work, but it's beautiful. I can't go with the electric things. I'm old school. I have a container that I keep my sand in from year to year.

I would think you could get the electric ones pretty much anyplace. WalMart, KMart, Lowes, Home Depot...

Old 11-30-2010, 09:08 AM

293 posts, read 970,937 times
Loborick - yeah, I knew I was asking for trouble calling them luminarias not farolitos here in SF! But I'm from Albuquerque... where we're less traditional. Thanks for the tips on Walmart, Home Depot, etc. Maybe I just looked too early because no one had them. I'll check again next week!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:56 AM

713 posts, read 1,845,406 times
Good luck!

Old 11-30-2010, 12:12 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,251,775 times
You can order them at Target.com. I don't think they carry them in their stores. The church across the street from our house has a few hundred of the electric ones on their roof and it looks great.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:25 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Hobby Lobby had them last year, so they most likely do this year.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 8,543 times
we purchased electric farolitos at the Chili shop in SFe...just E of Pasquals on Water St. Right inside the door. Think they were about $30 a string...but can't remember for sure. They have 4 legged plastic stand with white electric Xmas light and a plastic bag that fits over the top. Need a way to attach....like screw to a long board or else they will blow over. T

Old 01-26-2014, 02:00 PM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I think of a luminaria as the white paper bags we line our streets with on Christmas Eve. If this is what OP is talking about, we use kitty litter in the bags and votive candles which have been kept in the freezer, so they burn longer. The 12 hour votives last all night.

Old 02-09-2023, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,427 times
Our company manufactures plastic luminarias and are the only ones manufactured in the USA.

They come with a 10-year warranty (the only company putting a warranty on luminarias). I'm using the same luminarias for 18 continuous years and they have at least another 18 years left in them!

We are the only commercial-grade luminaria available and sell to all 50-states.

We have an info page specifically discussing putting them on rooftops and walls. We have helped all kinds of businesses and homeowners with advice.

Here is a beautiful aerial video showing our luminarias on a shopping center in Texas, courtesy of the fine people at Sewell and their auto dealership -

*[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoZUB3O5aU0[/url]

We offer the only solid-construction one-piece luminaria on the market, perfect for rooftop installations!

Check us out here - *[url]https://flicluminaries.com[/url]

Call or email me and I am happy to give you personalized service!

Kind regards, David

Old 02-17-2023, 06:08 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyb001 View Post
we purchased electric farolitos at the Chili shop in SFe...just E of Pasquals on Water St. Right inside the door. Think they were about $30 a string...but can't remember for sure. They have 4 legged plastic stand with white electric Xmas light and a plastic bag that fits over the top. Need a way to attach....like screw to a long board or else they will blow over. T
I purchased similar electric luminarias years ago at Walgreens which sells them closer to the holidays. Mine are from RC Company and currently are about $40 for a 10 luminaria strand per their website. My only issue is that the two piece plastic stand, bulb guard, and plastic bag or sleeve are difficult and time consuming to assemble and I think would be especially difficult to assemble to place on a roof. However the replaceable sleeves are nice. Last year I put out a strand at Halloween on my front porch wall with Halloween sleeves and then just replaced the sleeve/bags with regular Christmas bags a few weeks later. I would prefer a one piece luminaria, especially if placed on a roof, but my electric luminarias are in good condition so doubt I will upgrade.

Just realized this post was more than 10 years old but always a topic of interest in New Mexico!

Last edited by ABQ2015; 02-17-2023 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe