Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times

Advertisements

I don't mind the stuff in shady or north facing areas. I just don't want to be driving past snow piled 8 feet deep at the curbs all winter long. I don't mind if it snows early or late, and in fact I really like snow. That's one reason I want to move to a climate that has snow. I just don't want to make snow a way of life for me. I'm bored with "perfect weather" like here in So. Cal. I want some variety of weather, I'd like if there were seasons (what we have in LA is hardly what I would call seasons).

I've been delayed by house selling woes. I hope y'all will save some snow for me! I think I can probably get out there before May, hopefully a lot sooner than that. I hope to get out soon enough to spend a few weeks there and decide if I'll handle the cold weather okay. Last visit was mid-May and it was too cold for camping but fine otherwise, but unfortunately that was a bit late in the year to form any opinion of SF winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 11:56 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't mind the stuff in shady or north facing areas. I just don't want to be driving past snow piled 8 feet deep at the curbs all winter long. I don't mind if it snows early or late, and in fact I really like snow. That's one reason I want to move to a climate that has snow. I just don't want to make snow a way of life for me. I'm bored with "perfect weather" like here in So. Cal. I want some variety of weather, I'd like if there were seasons (what we have in LA is hardly what I would call seasons).

I've been delayed by house selling woes. I hope y'all will save some snow for me! I think I can probably get out there before May, hopefully a lot sooner than that. I hope to get out soon enough to spend a few weeks there and decide if I'll handle the cold weather okay. Last visit was mid-May and it was too cold for camping but fine otherwise, but unfortunately that was a bit late in the year to form any opinion of SF winters.
The snow doesn't hang around long except in the mountains or shady spots. Last year I was shoveling the walk so it wouldn't get compacted and turn into ice and I was remembering having to shovel the car out in PA and in bad years the city would haul snow out due to not having any more room to push it off the road. Here I shovel for exercise outside or because if I don't the ice hangs around for a couple of days until the sun takes care of it. No real urgency to do it.

There is a variety of weather, sometimes in the same day. If you are living here (and retired lucky you) and it's too cold in SF you can always head south to go camping. May is Spring weather - usually windy. Although if I remember it actually snowed last year in May. It was odd--winter didn't want to give it up.

Let me know when you will be in town and I'll see if there is anything going on in the singles group or if you'd like I can meet you at the community college and show you around.

Sorry about the house stuff--hopefully it improves soon. FYI - never buy a house here with a flat roof if you can avoid it. They are a nightmare for leaks. The builders keep on building them though because they can get away with it (SF style) and they are cheaper to build. I volunteered at Habitat yesterday and got a recommendation for a roofer. Now to get him here and then find someone to fix the sheetrock in my studio.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:44 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Thanks for the reply DE. I too don't care if the snow hangs around for a couple days. Yeah retired lucky me, I'd rather be 20 and unlucky. If you're 20 and keep breathing long enough you get to my advanced state of decrepitude.

I'm not a four season camper. I usually begin in May, continue to September, and often give the middle months off and let folks with kids fill up the campgrounds. My favorite camping months are May-June and August-September. I like the "fringe" seasons. I often camp south at the ends of the season and more northerly nearer to the middle of summer. I don't see any point in camping in the middle of winter. It's not like it won't be there in summer.

I'd like to meet you and some of the other SF CD members if it turns out there is any serious chance of my moving to SF.

I read with interest your comments about flat roofs and your roof problems. To be honest that has me a bit worried, considering that SF's popular pueblo style has flat roofs, considering that peaked roofs naturally shed water (like SF's territorial style) and I really like pueblo style, worried myself that a flat roof is asking for trouble. I'm pretty sure the pueblo roofs are at least slightly slanted (even if only a half inch per foot) and I've seen the drain spouts poking out along with the vigas. Still... I haven't looked at any SF real estate yet. I'm going to look at both pueblo and territorial. To be honest the pueblo style is a bit thing that attracted me to SF. I first became sensitized to this having visited Mesa Verde. The resemblance between the ancient Indian habitations and the pueblo style is striking.

My advice for you is same as what I did a couple dozen years ago here in LA when my roof needed fixing. Get lots of estimates. Ask them for other houses they fixed and visit them, ask for references, maybe contact a few of the owners. I found a wide range of prices and ended up settling for the cheapest (after checking up) and of course always check their contractors license (I presume NM has those too). My cheap job still looks great and now 25 years later.

Last edited by Lovehound; 01-09-2011 at 06:05 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 05:48 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
A couple of years ago we went through Santa Fe the last week of March and it was getting beautiful snow, but it was a little scary with the hilly roads there.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:46 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,473 times
There was a snow storm in SFe the first week of May last year while I was trying to do a mountain bike race...

Old 02-19-2011, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,332 times
Q: Does the snow = very cold weather? I am currently in WI, terribly cold n tons of snow/ice. So how is the tempurature, snow. I have arthritus throughout my body - and was looking to aleviate some of the pain by moving west. SF has the artisy comunity I am looking for - now what about the weather?
Thanks

Old 02-20-2011, 01:39 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwendolynW View Post
Q: Does the snow = very cold weather? I am currently in WI, terribly cold n tons of snow/ice. So how is the tempurature, snow. I have arthritus throughout my body - and was looking to aleviate some of the pain by moving west. SF has the artisy comunity I am looking for - now what about the weather?
Thanks
Gwendolyn, if you go to weatherunderground,go to travel & activities, then trip planner, then Santa Fe you can view the historic calendar for any month's average temperature data & precipitation:

History : Weather Underground

I can reassure you that snow & cold here in NM is nothing like snow & cold in WI!

Old 09-04-2018, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 516 times
Do you need to put chains on your tires when it snows? My sister and I want to move there and buy a home that we can retire in. We're coming for a visit in 2 1/2 weeks (I've been to Santa Fe before in the summer). She's from RI and I'm from Los Angeles. I've never lived in nor driven in snow. Thanks for the comments!

Old 09-04-2018, 11:59 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyandbirdy View Post
I've never lived in nor driven in snow. Thanks for the comments!
I have never seen them used in my 15+ years in the Albuquerque area.

I would limit my driving when it is snowing. There can be a lot of people who don't know how to drive very well...

It depends on you car. Some handle snow better than others.

It also depends on your tires.

Another thread in the Santa Fe forum about Snow: https://www.city-data.com/forum/santa...3181-snow.html

Old 09-04-2018, 12:20 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyandbirdy View Post
Do you need to put chains on your tires when it snows? My sister and I want to move there and buy a home that we can retire in. We're coming for a visit in 2 1/2 weeks (I've been to Santa Fe before in the summer). She's from RI and I'm from Los Angeles. I've never lived in nor driven in snow. Thanks for the comments!
It used to get snow. Not enough for chains on the tires. People used to recommend "winter tires". But the winter weather is much milder now, so there are only a couple of list listings of snow per winter, now; just an inch or two in town, nothing more*. This, of course, leads to a diminished water supply in summer.

* The higher elevations in the north end of town tend to get a bit more. The higher elevation of the north end will get a mild snowfall around mid-October, typically, long before there's any snow in the rest of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe