Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:23 PM

946 posts, read 3,264,470 times

Advertisements

Can they really keep a chain out? -- seems like that's interstate commerce and Eldorado wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on.

I used to live in Stowe, Vermont and they didn't want a McDonalds and they made McD carve the golden arch into a wooden sign and side the building in cedar shakes, but they couldn't keep em out.

Funny thing is -- the people in Stowe Vermont and all the tourists did NOT want to eat at McDs and the place went out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 08:36 PM

146 posts, read 453,043 times
If you love McDonalds that much, why not secure a McFranchise and put one in yourself?

Old 09-16-2008, 08:43 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
[quote=mark_marquette;5297202]
Quote:
I like the fact that the houses and nice, large, and spread out,
Quote:
I know people out here don't want it to get over commercialized
Am I the only person who sees the irony/hypocrisy of this statement?

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-16-2008, 09:55 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,023,857 times
You won't get any complaints out of me about Eldorado.

I love Eldorado. I CHOOSE to live here because it is NOT the city with a McDonald's or other fast foods on every block.

Seems like you are making some assumptions that fast food is not allowed here. Since there is a Subway here, I have to assume the zoning of the commercial areas allows it; maybe no one has been interested in opening a McDonald's or a Lotaburger out here. (We DO have Bobcat Bite just down the road a couple of miles which is pretty well known for awesome hamburgers.)

I hope you mean the ROUND TRIP to the McDonald's in Santa Fe is 27 miles, because I would say the nearest McDonald's from my house here in Eldorado is the one at St. Michael's and Pacheco, which is 13 miles from my house. IF I wanted McDonald's (which I wouldn't) I would just eat there while it is hot rather than driving all the way home with it and letting it get cold.

I don't shop at the supermarket here in Eldorado much because the prices are higher than Smiths or Albertsons in town. BUT it is nice to have it here to pick up something you run out of.

Most people that I have talked to who live here (and I share their opinion) is that we live out here because we like the solitude and the rural feel -- and we don't particularly care to have the city encroaching on us.

Your statement that there is nothing out here is really puzzling to me. For a subdivision in a semi-rural area, I think we have a LOT - supermarket, several restaurants, coffee shop, gift shop, pharmacy, mail store, bank, dentist, fitness center, furniture store, library, video store, community center, senior center, elementary school, wilderness area, greenbelts, paved walking trails, community pool, gas station, as well as our own fire department/ambulance. I am sure there will be more things coming in the future.

I guess I am truly puzzled as to why you are living out here if all that is not enough for you.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:36 PM

One other thing that puzzles me --- you say you live in Eldorado, but your location says Orange County, California.

Which is it?

Old 09-17-2008, 08:23 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,261 times
Sounds like a transplant to me.

You all have really surprised me! I was expecting a pro-developement bend to this conversation... thank God it didn't happen!

Nobody wants to be a tenant of their own property!

Last edited by rybert; 09-17-2008 at 08:35 AM..

Old 09-17-2008, 08:31 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,346 times
I agree about Eldorado. It is a boring little bedroom community with little character and plenty of wind. I'm glad some people seem to like it though, as it keeps our population down in Santa Fe.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 AM

That's kind of my point, Vinegaroon -- shouldn't we all live in the places that suit us the best?

Some people prefer to live in the city with a McDonald's close by. Others prefer to live in the country.

If someone dislikes Eldorado or any of the other subdivisions near it on Hwy. 285, then just move into the city. Life is too short to live someplace where you have to eat cold McDonald's.

Two comments:
The wind out here was brutal in May and June (but I was hearing it was an unusually windy year all over NM). Since then, the wind is no greater than it seems to be anyplace else. I am looking out the window by my computer, and there is NO wind stirring. None.

I know what you are saying about keeping the population down in Santa Fe...but I will remind you that I have a SANTA FE address just like you do .... and I am in the city a lot contributing a lot of bucks to the Santa Fe economy, as all the residents of Eldorado do.

Seems like as Santa Feans we might all pull together instead of making the negative little comments about how boring and lacking in character any part of the city is. We hear enough negativity from people who DON'T live here.

Just my opinion.....

Old 09-17-2008, 09:22 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,346 times
Opinions are like (fill in the blank). Everyone has one.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:43 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,277 times
Save the time and the gas and go to the Bobcat Bite. Looks look like you'd equal out $$-wise. And support a local biz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe