Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:30 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
For the record, New Orleans has far more panhandlers than SFe.
I don't doubt it, but where is that record? I would like to review it.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Looks like the merchants on the plaza believe there is a problem:

http://www.koat.com/news/27775575/detail.html

Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 AM

363 posts, read 1,120,571 times
Default Thanks

Thanks to all for responding. From the comments there doesn't appear to be any one "reason"-but instead a combination of conditions that attracts these folks to Santa Fe.

Oh, and regarding our limited experience, we didn't encounter any panhandlers who appeared to be Native American.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
I find it very depressing that so many people are rude to panhandlers, either on this thread or in person. You don't know the circumstances that have put that person in that situation. Yes, some of them are just lazy. But others have hit a streak of bad luck...medical bills, loss of job, mental illness. I used to go with a lady that was a social worker and her favorite people to work with her homeless people.

Many, many other people are one significant happening in their life away from being there. Don't be so smug and arrogant.
The problem is that when people are reflexively generous they support a culture of parasitism and graft. Trust me, plenty of the people who panhandle are preying on their fellow citizens just like any other criminal. My wife works at a welfare office, and she comes home daily with stories of women in Ugg boots and $400k homes applying for food stamps. Trustafarians drinking $4 lattes asking for a handout. Artist, poets, writers, and realtors all expecting someone else to pay for their lifestyle in one of the finest towns in America. It is complete bs. If they cannot meet their needs honestly, they should go somewhere where they can. I am not surprised that people panhandle in Santa Fe. It is a great place, and liberal. I live in Ashland, Oregon, and we have the same people. They do not hang around in Winnemucca, Nevada, or places where they could get a job like Texas or North Dakota. No, they have to live in Santa Fe, Boulder, Taos, Durango, Seattle, Portland, Missoula, etc. to tap into the rich liberal guilt, enjoy the hippy ambiance, and make arses of themselves.

Sometimes one must be cruel to be kind. Abetting someone's parasitic lifestyle hurts that individual. When they learn to pull their weight, they will be happier and healthier. This from a lifelong liberal. I realize that some of these folks need compassion, but I would guess 80% need to be cut off immediately.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 08-24-2011 at 11:47 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 11:21 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
There's an easy way to tell if they're actually hungry. I used to carry around some Balance Bars, and would offer one to them - only I would call it a "nutrition bar" so it sounded less enticing.

Most of them tried to get money from me instead, and I would quickly turn away. Some of them accepted eagerly.

By the way, they really don't make much money at it anymore. Maybe they did back in the '70s, but people are getting sick of so many asking them. Stop sometime and watch them working the traffic or outside stores - they don't get a lot.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:53 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
I would respectfully disagree about the money. We had quite a stir here in Ashland a couple years back with one woman said she pulled in $40k a year panhandling on the Ashland Plaza. That is better than 90% of the service jobs in a tourist town like this. Not sure how typical that is though. Her stint with the welfare office is about to turn my lifelong liberal, fire breathing, fight-for-your-rights Irish-American wife into a conservative (not really, but she is pretty disgusted with the constant lies and attitude of many of our town's nuevo spongers). And I am all for the safety net when people really need it, as during these tough economic times.

Good tip about the nutrition bar.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:20 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Woman DO make more at panhandling ..... even I occasionally give them some money if they're older bag ladies who don't look like addicts. It's a hard life for a woman. But one invariable is that panhandlers lie about how much they make, they like to seem like they're really good at something instead of utter failures at life, imo. But I've lived among the homeless, and what I've seen is them pooling together enough money at night trying to get enough for a bottle of bum wine or some cheap drugs.

Does anyone know for sure that she made $40K?

Old 08-25-2011, 07:11 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
I don't know how prevalent the practice is, but I remember years ago, in the DFW area, when panhandlers were delivered to their daily stands by a bus, and in at least one case by a limosine. It was my understanding that their "benefactor" was no different than a pimp - taking a huge cut of what they took in each day while providing them minimal sustenance. This sort of scam can probably only work well in large metro areas.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:05 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
John Stossel had a recent TV program on panhandling, said that it was possible to make about $100-$130 per day panhandling.

When a panhandler confronts me I just say "No Thanks" and I walk away. Perhaps if I had a reliable lie detector I might be less cold hearted, but as far as I'm concerned most of them are lying. I have no way of telling which is which.

People who are really in need should go to soup kitchens and homeless shelters. Perhaps people who give them money are just encouraging them to avoid organized help.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
When a panhandler confronts me I just say "No Thanks" and I walk away.
That makes sense...

Seems some people take it upon themselves to taunt, chastise or make fun of a panhandler... Try to teach them a lesson... This falls into the "Why Poncho doesn't walk down dark alleys anymore" category...

Might prevent:
Panhandler attacks Jersey City man who refuses to give $1, cops say Published: Wednesday, April 06, 2011, 10:05 AM

Panhandler attacks woman, runs over man with her car outside Cleveland Walgreens. Published: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 7:30 AM

NOPD: Panhandler attacks man with bottle. Posted by Robert Morris at 5:37 pm crime, public safety

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe