Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 10:46 AM

974 posts, read 2,342,554 times

Advertisements

Weatherguy -
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

sbsoso, thank you for helping to expose the myth!

Last edited by Yac; 09-10-2018 at 05:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 6,664 times
Thanks for your update. Were now reconsidering if we want to make the move west.

VC

Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Based on what I see on real estate sites, at least that aspect doesn't seem particularly expensive, at least relative to Austin. But are there other things that make the cost of living high?

One thing I was wondering about, too, is whether you need to take a driving test when you get a NM license. I worry about that because I'm unable to parallel park due to a neck problem.

Edit: I checked out the NM DMV site, which said that a test is not required if you have a valid license from another state.
You will find the process in NM a LOT easier than Texas (as a lifelong native).

You're right--no driving test is required as long as your license isn't expired. Who can parallel park anyway, neck problem or not?!?

I walked out of the Alamogordo office in 2008 with a new DL, a hardcopy car title (as I had no lien), registration and one plate--all in one place, after waiting only 90 minutes (long line).

I don't know whether it's that simple in SF, but it's probably a lot easier than having to run all over the place as you do in TX.

I don't blame you on wanting to leave Austin. Sis moved to the coast last year after having been there since 1982. It was once a GREAT place. It's just sad.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,132 times
I will be moving this summer!!! I can't wait! My fiancé is there and has been for the last 6 years and he loves it too! I work with the state and have worked with the state for the last 16 yrs I hope I can find a job with the state in Santa Fe! Please pray for me!! I love to work and enjoy my job so much I hope I don't have to give it up! Im so ready going to visit in april 1st , i have visited several times and it just doesn't come soon enough! Wohoooo Go Santa Fe!!!! 💜💜💜

Old 03-17-2016, 10:52 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiquid&g View Post
I will be moving this summer!!! I can't wait! My fiancé is there and has been for the last 6 years and he loves it too! I work with the state and have worked with the state for the last 16 yrs I hope I can find a job with the state in Santa Fe! Please pray for me!! I love to work and enjoy my job so much I hope I don't have to give it up! Im so ready going to visit in april 1st , i have visited several times and it just doesn't come soon enough! Wohoooo Go Santa Fe!!!! 💜💜💜
I don't know what field you're in, but unless it's something related to public safety or children, you may not find a state job right away. Revenues are terrible, with the result that state agencies are all on austerity measures to some degree. Although there hasn't been an official hiring freeze announced, no positions are getting filled right now without the blessing of the governor's office. All that to say you may want to stay put where you are for a while, as you may not be able to get on with another state job here right away.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theylphonida View Post
How is living in Santa Fe? I can sum it up in one word: expensive!
DO you think it is more expensive than San Diego, Ca? I moved here 2 years ago and am still living in a 420 sq ft apartment for $950! I'm an artist and need more room.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:13 PM

78 posts, read 87,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsoso View Post
Based on what I see on real estate sites, at least that aspect doesn't seem particularly expensive, at least relative to Austin. But are there other things that make the cost of living high?

Before I moved to Santa Fe two years ago everyone told me, "but... it's so expensive to live in Santa Fe!".
I still see that on this forum all the time. My husband and I moved from a rural, impoverished area of the southwest and virtually EVERYTHING is less expensive here than it was where we came from. The only exception is housing, and even that is not much more expensive. With the lower interest these days we're now paying maybe $300.00 a month more for our mortgage, and have twice the house in terms of size, quality of construction and quality of life. I honestly don't understand the "Santa Fe is so expensive" gripe. I guess if you're hanging out on the Plaza buying spanish made cowboy boots, squash blossom necklaces and eating out at Pasqual's every night it's expensive, but your everyday expenses are equivalent to or less than most places in the country. Property taxes?.... very low. Food?.... much cheaper than where we lived before. Gas?.... cheaper than where we lived before. Utilities?... much cheaper. Come out and see. The "so expensive" thing is a myth.

My biggest concern is housing costs for a single person looking for a small house to rent, that will accept a couple of small dogs. I am on an educator's salary and I am not sure I can afford to live in Santa Fe.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:35 PM

Chiquid&g - Don't be deterred. According to the State's jobs website there are currently 335 job openings. Go to the site and check it out. Good luck!!!

Old 05-12-2016, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,756 times
Man, am I glad I found this website!

We just got back yesterday from Santa Fe, where we have been visiting since the early 1990s when we lived in the DFW area (we are Chicagoans and live in the 'burbs.) After all this time we've finally decided to look at real estate on our next visit to SF. I HATE cold weather and Chicago winters (and in fact spend my winters in South India) and we figure that since we have both survived Chicago blizzards that shut down the city, we can survive a Santa Fe winter!

We loved SF and NM ever since our first visit. I am self-employed as a yoga teacher and certified reflexologist but can also do garden design (formerly worked for lawyers for 20 years.) My husband is a corporate VP who will probably retire in 4 years. I am hoping with the more open minded, old hippie types in SF, I can get some private yoga/reflexology clients.

I know that visiting a place is very different from actually living there so we plan to start with renting before buying, eventually.

Thanks for posting the sites on the crime stats, etc. -- and I'm glad to read what someone else posted about the "myth" of SF being expensive. As we discussed on our trip, if we lived there, obviously we aren't going to be eating at El Farol or Geronimo every night!

The property tax there also appears to be MUCH lower than what we pay in the Chicago area. We saw a house advertised for $900K (not that we need an expensive house like that) with property taxes being a little over $7K. We pay more than that on a house that's not even worth $300K here, outside Chicago! That definitely convinced us!

Please keep the info coming! And I looked at your site, GreatSantaFe -- you may hear from us!

Old 05-13-2016, 03:22 PM

Kaligirrl - Yes, our property taxes are among the lowest. An easy way to estimate the annual property taxes is to take 1/3 of the purchase price and multiply that figure by.022. It's a little less outside of the city limits. Then, once your taxes are set, they cannot go up more than 3% per year. Like you, I have many clients moving here from other states who laugh at how our property tax rates compare with theirs.
But Governments need to get their funding from us to function, so we have what some feel is too high a sales tax (a little over 8%) and it's charged on services (accountant, health care providers, etc.) too. Utility rates are relatively low, but water rates are high (which helps make Santa Fe a top water-conservation city).
I look forward to hearing from you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe