Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 05:31 PM

7 posts, read 16,609 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My partner and I are traveling to the Santa Fe area in June, as we are considering moving there from the Chicago suburbs. We will be staying for 10 days at Hyde Memorial State Park in our small RV, as we have 2 dogs with us, and we enjoy time in the outdoors.

I am an independent consultant, and since our house is on the market, we'll need access to wireless internet and cell phone coverage. We have AT&T non-smart phones. I might be able to upgrade our phones and pay for tethering with an iPhone, but don't want to do this if the coverage will be spotty at best.

Does anyone know if AT&T coverage is decent at the park? I checked both AT&T and Verizon map coverage, and it looks like Verizon's is better, which confirms what I've heard. Any information I can get before I make a commitment to some plan or another will be highly appreciated!

Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 08:10 PM

974 posts, read 2,346,985 times
You are correct, Verizon seems to have much better coverage here in the Santa Fe area.
Hyde Park is a beautiful and popular area, but I don't have personal knowledge of the cell service up there. I will do some checking tomorrow and if I can find out anything I'll post again.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:48 AM

Thank you, GreatSantaFe!

Old 05-05-2012, 10:37 PM

Well, I checked with a couple who are often up Hyde Park Road skiing or hiking and they say that even with Verizon they don't get cell service up there. (And, btw, he runs a web-based business out of his home so coverage is important for him as well.) Sorry.... If you still want to camp there my only recommendation would be to go back into town and hole up in a coffee shop or in Ft. Marcy Park (closest city park at the foot of Hyde Park Road, but called Artist's Road the last few blocks) and get your internet work done. Sure isn't as convenient though....Wish I had better news.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 AM

293 posts, read 972,400 times
Nope - no mobile coverage at Hyde Park. I think it's way too hilly and the mountains/hills block the signal. It's lovely, though. If you absolutely need mobile/Internet coverage - you could stay at the KOA or Rancheros de Santa Fe, both about 15 minutes outside SF off of Old Las Vegas Highway. (compared to Hyde Park which is probably about 8 minutes from the Plaza in the opposite direction.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:12 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,482,526 times
I work off my smart phone a lot and have gone hiking in Hyde park with my Verizon phone multiple times. The other folks are correct, no cell coverage down in the camping/parking area. If you want to hike the 1000 feet up to the top of the Circle Trail there's good coverage at the top. I've actually done some work up there while resting from the climb. Pretty surreal standing/sitting in the forest at the top of the hill with little civilization in sight and smelling the pines while you talk to and email folks across the country.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:18 PM

rwjoyak - I love the picture you paint. I've taken my iPad with me to remote areas as well and am always amazed when I get on the web with my 3G service. Yet, I've got to try and leave it at home the next time I venture out into the wilds.....It wasn't all that long ago when I was in Africa with the Peace Corps and the only form of communication for me was mail service - about 2 weeks for a letter to get to the states. Now PC Volunteers are as close as their cell phone and computer. In many ways I feel lucky to have had the luxury of silence and peace - away from the constant din and information overload. Ah well, progress....

Old 05-11-2012, 07:00 AM

Thanks, all for your responses. Special thanks to GreatSantaFe for going out of the way to ask about coverage at Hyde Memorial. I'll have to look at alternatives, and appreciate the referrals for local campgrounds. On the other hand, I guess I can drive into town or try rwjoyak's solution...sounds pretty good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe